Penny Documentary

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Penny Documentary

Postby DearPenny » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Hey all,

I'm working with a few friends on a documentary about the American penny.

Here is link to a teaser we recently put together:

https://vimeo.com/103206824

We are currently looking for people to interview for this project. We've been in contact with a few copper penny hoarders here on the east coast but most have only recently started. We would ideally like to speak with someone who has been hoarding for a few years at least.

Please feel free to reach us here or at dearpennyfilm@gmail.com.

Any recommendations or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
DearPenny

Re: Penny Documentary

Postby Thogey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Here we go again. John Q is becoming interested? Or, are we circus freaks?

Anyway the publicity is good for business. Isn't it?

Welcome Rich. There are penny hoards owned by folks here that would blow you mind.

PS Are the people in your teaser vid representative of folks where you live?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:15 pm

DearPenny wrote:Hey all,

I'm working with a few friends on a documentary about the American penny.

Here is link to a teaser we recently put together:

https://vimeo.com/103206824

We are currently looking for people to interview for this project. We've been in contact with a few copper penny hoarders here on the east coast but most have only recently started. We would ideally like to speak with someone who has been hoarding for a few years at least.

Please feel free to reach us here or at dearpennyfilm@gmail.com.

Any recommendations or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Feel free to check out my website. I might be interested depending on the "spin" you are putting on the topic.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:39 pm

I like the other film on your website. http://dearpennyfilm.com.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:02 pm

The funny thing is, there is no such thing as an American penny.

Americans use a cent, which is a percent of a dollar, which is supposed to be a reale of silver.

A penny really has no relation to a cent. Maybe Rich can base his documentary on how all this (system of weight and measure) got so f'ed up.

The story will get messy and political, not ligjt and fun.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby ME Co. » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:27 am

Thogey wrote:Here we go again. John Q is becoming interested? Or, are we circus freaks?

Anyway the publicity is good for business. Isn't it?

Welcome Rich. There are penny hoards owned by folks here that would blow you mind.

PS Are the people in your teaser vid representative of folks where you live?

Circus freaks, circus freaks, haha. I don't think hoarders will be portrayed in the best light and there are usually unforeseen consequences that affect the hobby. Like you said it depends on the spin, most docs are made for the masses as either education or entertainment, which spin do ya get. HH. Mark
"Life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want but you can only spend it once."
ME Co.

Postby DearPenny » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Thogey I can assure you I don't see this as freakish in anyway. Plus I'm the guy telling his friends and family he want's to make a documentary on the penny so if anything I can certainly relate to any an oddity you see in it. Regardless I think we have something here and so far the feedback and response has been really good. I'd be happy to discuss the focus or "spin" of the film. If anyone has any questions about that feel free to email me dearpennyfilm@gmail.com. In short my main interest in this comes from the culture of the penny and what is lost if tangible currency is taken out of the picture. The teaser video was shot in Union Square in Manhattan so most people are from NY but there were definitely some tourists in there too. We're planning a trip to DC soon to see what kind of responses we get down there.
DearPenny

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:19 am

DearPenny wrote:In short my main interest in this comes from the culture of the penny and what is lost if tangible currency is taken out of the picture.

:shh:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:06 am

I would take some tips from the show "Billy on the Street" on interviewing the general public on the streets.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby DearPenny » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks to all who have responded and shown interest in this, I really appreciate it. Just wanted to share another recent clip we put together. This time it actually relates to penny hoarding..

https://vimeo.com/106248764

We are still figuring out the structure of the film and it's definitely a work in progress but again thanks to all who have made contact.

-Rich
DearPenny

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing