Which would you rather have? Read before voting.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Which would you rather have?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:52 am

$100 face in Canadian cents.
67%
$100 face in U.S. cents.
33%

Total votes : 42

Which would you rather have? Read before voting.

Postby PennyPauper » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 am

If you were going to invest in copper cents and you had a choice of either for the same cost which would you rather have?
For the purpose of this question both lots would have equal exchange rates and the melt ban is lifted.I know the weights would be different but don't let that be your sole reason for choosing one or the other. I don't want to split hairs on the minor differences just curious about desirability. And how much composition is a factor to consider.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Which would you rather have? Read before voting.

Postby ramy98 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 am

I would prefer Canadian cents as I am Canadian..
ramy98

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 am

I went with Canadian, as the Canuck government seems less prone to making nefarious changes to their law that screw all the citizens.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

I chose Canadian because at over .0316 cents melt value 100 face is worth more than 100 us face at .0299 each.

But the Canadian penny is hideous looking, in my jaded opinion...

Looks like a miniature Susan B Anthony!

The maple leafs on the reverse are ok though.

No Offense to my northern neighbors or Elizabeth intended.

This cat just saw one of your pennies:

My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:54 pm

The results of this poll so far are casting a new shine on my penny hoard (which is 99+% Canadian, obviously) :)
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:59 pm

I will stick with Abe.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Since I live in the US, I voted for Mr Lincoln. I don't know what the copper circulation % is in Canada vs. US. Since the poll did not say copper, then I would have a harder time getting rid of non-copper Canadian. I would prefer Copper Canadian pennies over US pennies due to the higher copper content in Canada pennies.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:05 pm

i voted for Canadian, because I would not get in as much trouble for melting them in the US...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Even though I live in the States, even if I were to call Up North home, I'd rather have the Lincoln penny. They might not all be as heavy, but they all are the same weight and composition; something I feel, down the line, will make selling much easier and much more convenient.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Corsair wrote:Even though I live in the States, even if I were to call Up North home, I'd rather have the Lincoln penny. They might not all be as heavy, but they all are the same weight and composition; something I feel, down the line, will make selling much easier and much more convenient.

good call....abe gets my vote on that note.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby west77 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 pm

I vote the third option... neither. I don't want $100 face of either coin, I want a few thousand $$$ face, so I keep sorting. :lol:

Now, if we are talking a few thousand face, I will take Canadian for 2 reasons. First, if there were a major deflation, I have a few thousand dollars sitting around waiting to be cashed in (and it is legal tender for me to pay my bills or buy things with.) Were I in the US, for this reason alone, I would prefer Abes.

Also, I like the purity of the Canadian. I know that having one standard weight will make it easier to buy and sell, but I would assume that we will be selling by the pound rather than by the value at some point.
west77

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 pm

U.S coppers being all the same weight and composition is a good point. That is IMO the biggest drawback of the Canadian cent.
I just sorted out some Can. cents by year/comp 53-77,78-79,80-81,and1982-96. The older ones have been over3x face for awhile now,but the newer ones still have a bit to go. The 3% difference in copper may one day play a bigger role but for now isn't a factor. There is maybe more safety in Canadian currency if the U.S.dollar takes a big hit. Short term if the Canadian cent is killed you might have a scramble to horde them before the majority is removed by the banking system.
Very interesting to hear different opinions on the topic :)
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:34 am

Diggin4copper wrote:i voted for Canadian, because I would not get in as much trouble for melting them in the US...

So... here's a question I haven't heard addressed before. Is it legal to turn Lincoln cents in to a Canadian smelter for sale to melt, conversely... is it legal to sell Canadian cents for melting to US smelters?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 am

PennyPauper wrote:U.S coppers being all the same weight and composition is a good point. That is IMO the biggest drawback of the Canadian cent.
I just sorted out some Can. cents by year/comp 53-77,78-79,80-81,and1982-96. The older ones have been over3x face for awhile now,but the newer ones still have a bit to go. The 3% difference in copper may one day play a bigger role but for now isn't a factor. There is maybe more safety in Canadian currency if the U.S.dollar takes a big hit. Short term if the Canadian cent is killed you might have a scramble to horde them before the majority is removed by the banking system.
Very interesting to hear different opinions on the topic :)

Why doesn't the Canadian govt just stop minting cents and use Lincoln's that drift north. Surely there would be enough, and they should be interchangeable in value.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 am

beauanderos wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:i voted for Canadian, because I would not get in as much trouble for melting them in the US...

So... here's a question I haven't heard addressed before. Is it legal to turn Lincoln cents in to a Canadian smelter for sale to melt, conversely... is it legal to sell Canadian cents for melting to US smelters?

two questions....toe answers.....from what I have gathered.

No, as long as you are in canada

No, as long as you are in the US

You just can't ship them across borders in quanity to make it profitable.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby misteroman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 am

What is the limit that can be shipped across the border? isn't it $10
misteroman

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 am

Canadians can export <$10K at a time without a hassel. But from what I've read, Americans cannot export domestic coin in any quantity exceeding something tiny (like $100 or something) unless for documented numismatic reasons.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 pm

When I looked it up a year ago it was coinage over $5.00 that cannot be exported out of the States. It is crazy small. Im sure I broke the law many times by accident.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 am

If I am to choose between 95% pure or 98% pure I will take 98% pure any day! Plus the '65s through '79's are a beautiful design as well. Oh Canada :)
"IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO WIN THE GAME I WOULD PICK MICHAEL JORDEN...IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO SAVE MY LIFE I WOULD PICK LARRY BIRD"--Pat Riley, Laker Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing