Coinstar speed (not)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coinstar speed (not)

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm

Caveats...

1) This may have been discussed at length in the past; if so, I'm sorry - I've only been a member for a month and lurked a month before that.
2) I'm small time; doing this only for myself in the background, with small aspirations (which you can tell from my prior comments).

I had previously used my credit union for dumps until they went from free to 5%. They have a de la rue machine which rocks (by comparison to coinstar). A real speed demon. Dump it in, it feeds fast, on it's own, and really moves.

I had tested a coinstar a week or two ago to see how it went and how the voucher system worked. I didn't stress it, but put about a box worth of zincs into it. It seemed a bit slow, but seemed to go ok. So I'm thinking I've got a solution that works and doesn't cost me except for the time.

Today over lunch I went out to the nearest coinstar for a serious 4 box dump. Good grief. When you try to put that much into it, it's slow as molasses! Now I understand some complaints from some of the more serious sorters about it being slow. It's not only slow; it jammed on me 4 times, and each time it "resets" and loses the free voucher. Fortunately the Albertson's managers gave me a full refund back (four of them), and apologized, but I could see this being a real mess if located in a store that was less friendly. I'm now tempted to take my 5% fee and save the time and trials. I estimate the de la rue was at least 3-4x faster; 10 minutes or less and I was done with a couple boxes worth. I need to look around a bit more and see if any other places have the counters, and if any have free de la rues. Most banks here in Central Florida do not have counters at all (if anyone can point me to one that does, please let me know).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Coinstar speed (not)

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Depending on what de la rue you have it runs from 3000-5000 coins per minue. The coinstar is suppose to run about 600/minute.

What I would do is tell your bank you have a coin counter and just see if you can deposit bage directly to them. You might have to open a business account but hopefully that coutneracts the 5% fee charge.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Maybe I didn't explain well, but unfortuately I don't have a de la rue. I was using the one at my local credit union; didn't realize how spoiled I was.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 pm

68...I think highroller is telling you to ....check with your bank and see if they will take in bags of coins...if yes then get some bags from them and weigh in about 27.5 pounds per bag...It usually takes a few days once you turn in your bags till it hits your account....no fee and no waiting on a counter....I know what you are saying about the de la rue...my CU uses them and in december they started charging 8%..so now I bag and go to a different institution. Good luck.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 pm

how much of a % is albertsons charging I live in the tampa bay area Fl. and we dont have albertsons they were bought out by publix and all albertsons became publixs but the grocery stores that do have coinstars are charging something like 9% you mentioned a free voucher is coinstar doing free dumps or is that for gift cards?
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

jasmatk wrote:how much of a % is albertsons charging I live in the tampa bay area Fl. and we dont have albertsons they were bought out by publix and all albertsons became publixs but the grocery stores that do have coinstars are charging something like 9% you mentioned a free voucher is coinstar doing free dumps or is that for gift cards?

I prefer publix, as a store, but their counter has no options; fee only. Too bad.

There are only 5 Albertsons left here; and they are charging the same here as they were you, but Coinstar has the gift card options (including reload on several) that include several stores that I frequently use. So I can make some use of them. Today it messed up so much they just gave me reimbursement cash for most of the dump (even better), but actually even that wasn't worth the wait.

I'll check on the bagging option. If they don't need me to count (I don't have a counter), if they will count and (eventually) deposit, that would be ideal. I'll just have to check on at the three banks I have accounts at.

Rich
68Camaro

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 pm

I believe what fasteddy is saying is that if your bag weighs 27.5 lbs then you know there's about $50.00 in zincs inside there (give or take a few cents) when you drop it off at the bank.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 pm

Not having done this, I'm assuming the bank isn't going to take my word for the count in a bag of coins; I'm assuming that they will actually count it. So all weighing does is give me an idea of what the count should be, plus or minus. So 27.5, or 26, or 29 - what does it matter as long as I know the weight?
68Camaro

Postby CardsNCoins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 am

68Camaro wrote:.....all weighing does is give me an idea of what the count should be.........

Exactly.

The bank doesn't care about the weight, but you need to have an idea of what you are dropping off, and the weighing gives you that without having to actually count it yourself first.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Joogaler » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:24 am

I weigh my bags to 27 LB 9 OZ just to be safe. Never had one single problem with them, and I've prolly deposited 10k in zincs.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:35 am

My you have a lot of coins! .. Please wait while we catch up.

CoinStar's website advertises 600 coins per minute. Actual tests by members here have come up with totals ranging from 300 to 500 per minute. My CU has a free CoinStar, but I hardly ever dump there. The hours are not convenient.. and it kills me to stand there and feed that thing when I know I have machines at home that will count 10 times as fast. I would hate to do any significant dumping at this thing.

In Northern CA there are not any banks that I know of with Free coin counters.. just not a west coast thing. If you can find one of your banks that will take it precounted in bags you can pick up a decent coin counter for $200-300. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:28 am

I estimate 200 per minute at the one from yesterday. Not impressive; maybe it was lower than normal because it needed maintenance. It took me about an hour to dump $100-$120, not even counting the extra 15 minutes or so worth of time for mgt to clear the 4 jams.
68Camaro

Postby Finder » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:24 am

I can see how coinstar would be a real problem if you dump a lot of coins.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 am

Finder wrote:I can see how coinstar would be a real problem if you dump a lot of coins.

Mostly the 9 percent vigorish..... :D
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 am

hey camaro...if the banks will take in bags, then you really dont have to count them...they will send them out with their coin service to have the bags counted. I did buy a small counter off of feebay and I load up the bags from $50 to $100 in cents....yep one bank wants me to put in $100 in a bag...then they have ME move them into the coin room. Now that is a workout. I have used coinstar twice....the first time because I didn't know how slow it was and the second time was after my CU started charging and I was going to Lowe's anyway....there will not be a third time....just to dang slow...I can drop off $500 in cents in about 15 minutes in bags.... :D If I don't forget the dolly ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby bgretz1989 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:29 pm

well if you have to reroll your own coins that rate is still faster than what i can do per min. i only use coinstar when i need to update the ipod or go to lowes.
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby Finder » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:31 pm

9.8% here.

unghhh.

For that price they should come to my house and get them.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing