Penny Arcade Jackpot - A Story of Beginners Luck

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Penny Arcade Jackpot - A Story of Beginners Luck

Postby MatthewsTech » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 pm

If you've read my other threads you would know i have sorted about $65 worth of coins with my new Ryedale and Joined TD Bank to use the Penny Arcade.

Today i went in for my first dump, i had just under $60 in zincs (some were from handsorting before the rydale)

I drive for work so i decided to goto a random TD bank about 2 hours from home as i was driving by.

I went in, found the penny arcade and went throught the menus guessing i had $58.60 in order to win the 'prize' for guessing within $1.99. I didnt have an exact count of the pennies but i know it had to be roughly that based on what i knew i had from the ryedale sorting plus some extras.

Counted my penny's and bam! I was a winner! I had $59.85 in zincs!

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

This is when things go interesting, i checked theMagnet, I was a little nervous pulling that tray out to check it. There was a Rent-A-Cop maybe 8 feet from me but i decided to go for it anyways, I put money in the machine, in theoroy MY coins could have been on that magnet!

BAM Here's what I pried from the magnet:
23 Canadian Quarters ($5.75)
16 Canadian Dimes ($1.60)
3 Canadian Nickles ($0.15)
1 Canadian Penny
1 2 Euro Coin
3 1 Euro Coins
1 5 Pesewas coin
1 5 Helvetica coin
A Hair Pin
and a piece of a lock.

Wow, I felt so lucky pulling all that off the magnet.... BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!!!!

Now it was time to check my rejected coins. NOTHING.... I reach in a little farther, ITS JAMMED!

I start pulling coins out! OMG ITS LOADED!

I keep pulling coins, I can't believe how much is coming out of this thing!
I'm getting nervous again. WTH is going on, my first time ever using the penny arcade and its giving me more coins back than i put in!

Here's what came out of the reject bin... (Warning, this is going to make you mad how lucky i got. if you don't want to drive yourself insane stop reading)

Tokens:
1 Plastic Penny Stamped 'COPY'
1 Bonkers Family Fun Center
1 Chuck-E-Cheese

Misc Coins:
1 5 Pence
1 2 Pence
1 "New Penny"
1 25 cent Bermuda
1 50 Leke Shqiperise
1 10 cent Bermuda
1 25 cent Bahamas
1 2 Euro
1 5 Cayman Island
1 5 Pesos Dominican Republic

Canadian:
14 Quarters ($3.50)
4 Dimes ($0.40)
1 Nickle ($0.05)
1 Penny

USA:
1 Sacagawea Dollar ($1.00)
100 Quarters ($25.00)
260 Dimes ($26.50)
52 Nickles ($4.60)
590 Zinc Pennies ($5.90)
113 Copper Pennies

AND FOR THE GRAND FINALLY....
3 Wheat Pennies: 1955, 1956, 1957
4 Old Nickles: 1942, 1948, 1962, 1963(i know the 62 and 63 arent that old!)
1 Dime Appears to be double stamped 1988
5 SILVER Dimes: 1946, 1948, 1962, 1964, 1964
1 SILVER Quarter: 1964

Total USA: $63 (no including coppers silvers or oldies)
Total Canadian: $11.92
Plus 16 Misc foreign coins!

Talk about Beginners Luck!

I don't expect to ever have a find like this again.

Is this the biggest reported Penny Arcade Score? I'm still in shock!

Thanks very much to the members in here that helped direct me to the magnet!

So thats my story for today... hopefully more great finds to come, picked up another $60 in CWR from my credit union and am going back tomorrow because they said that have another $145 in pennies for me to take but couldnt get them while i was there today.
1% Cash Back on Bullion from Ebay @ ebates: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EmU8DkL62%2BPQi2w8e28nMQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471 (referral link)

Plus earn even more at most online retailers.
MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Penny Arcade Jackpot - A Story of Beginners Luck

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Its incredible! They obviously do not maintain the machine regularly. You should do like the son of Henrysmedford, and talk you way into maintaining the machine once a month. Talk to Henrysmedford, he is the expert....him and his son found very very very old coins, silver and gold.

See: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8274

Great story,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:50 pm

:shock:

Kirkland? Is that you :?

Fantastic find!!! :clap:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:32 pm

This is great....congrats. :thumbup:

Loved reading it. Funny how something like this has the reverse effect
(Warning, this is going to make you mad how lucky i got. if you don't want to drive yourself insane stop reading)

This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Wow! :shock:
That's one helluva score! :thumbup:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:32 am

How do you access the magnet without a key? The machines I've seen are Cummins brand and you have to have the key to open it up. What am I missing here?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby MatthewsTech » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:12 am

Recyclersteve wrote:How do you access the magnet without a key? The machines I've seen are Cummins brand and you have to have the key to open it up. What am I missing here?

Im not sure what brand this machine was. I literally just pulled straight up on the tray you dump the coins in. Next time i am in that branch i will try to get more info on the machine.
1% Cash Back on Bullion from Ebay @ ebates: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EmU8DkL62%2BPQi2w8e28nMQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471 (referral link)

MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:20 am

I have had mega scores close to that 2 times. I was closer to $40 US on each one. And I have never pulled that much silver out. So you definitely have the best haul I have ever heard of.

But it happens! Yeah, that is beginners luck, but it could still happen again. Some branches neglect their machines and if you catch it at the right time, you can really score.

Make sure you have a bag of change ready next time you are in the area of that branch!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:40 am

Dang, so did you leave with the US coin or try to run it back through the machine? My CU's use the Cummins Jetsort and I get to empty the trash bin under the top occasionally...made some pretty good scores there....but really just the payback for all the kolaches I have dropped off over the years.

Ray, I was thinking the same thing....Kirkland is back but there wasn't any Indians head pennies on the list!

What a score man coingrats!
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby MatthewsTech » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:52 am

fasteddy wrote:Dang, so did you leave with the US coin or try to run it back through the machine? My CU's use the Cummins Jetsort and I get to empty the trash bin under the top occasionally...made some pretty good scores there....but really just the payback for all the kolaches I have dropped off over the years.

Ray, I was thinking the same thing....Kirkland is back but there wasn't any Indians head pennies on the list!

I left with the US coin, i wanted to take a look through it first, am sure glad i did finding 6 silvers and 3 wheats. Ill be bringing it to a different branch later today :-)

MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:41 am

MatthewsTech wrote:
fasteddy wrote:Dang, so did you leave with the US coin or try to run it back through the machine? My CU's use the Cummins Jetsort and I get to empty the trash bin under the top occasionally...made some pretty good scores there....but really just the payback for all the kolaches I have dropped off over the years.

I left with the US coin, i wanted to take a look through it first, am sure glad i did finding 6 silvers and 3 wheats. Ill be bringing it to a different branch later today :-)

make sure to check their machine too ;p. you may hit another jackpot!
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DaMangRon » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:47 pm

I usually do the same thing but I've never pulled the coin grate out myself. I always make sure to have enough coins to fill a bag so the teller pulls it out...then I clean the magnet. Kinda shady pulling that out yourself...with that grate out you could reach way down and pull coins out of the bags. Even if you pull that grate out just to grab the coins from the magnet it could still be considered stealing...or even bank robbery?

Think about what security might think when reviewing the bank's camera footage...The junk coins on the magnet ain't worth it!

I routinely fill a bag by bringing around $150 in pennies or $105 in halves.

Word of Warning- be careful when cleaning that magnet..don't just stick your hand in there without looking first, I have found razorblades stuck to it. And although I haven't found one yet, I'm always worried about a used needle!
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Great find! :thumbup: Buy a lotto ticket
hobo finds

Postby NHsorter » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:01 am

DaMangRon wrote:Think about what security might think when reviewing the bank's camera footage...The junk coins on the magnet ain't worth it!

I routinely fill a bag by bringing around $150 in pennies or $105 in halves.

I initially found out about the magnet because a teller at my local branch showed it to me and suggested I check it after I finish putting my change in. Have many other branches where they see me do it all the time and they don't care. Not worried about bank robbery charges, haha. It's more like the bank is robbing customers by keeping the change on those magnets. I had 2 branches where tellers told me not to do it. I think they were just grumpy tellers. I tend to skip those 2 branches when I can. Don't want to make a stink about it. Not worth it.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hammerrob » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Excellent score, I am jealous! :thumbup:
hammerrob
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:29 am

It pays to be BOLD! Way to go! Nice score and great initiative!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing