Unsearched wheat pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Unsearched wheat pennies

Postby justoneguy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

OK so i bought 15 lbs. of wheat pennies,and thought i'd give them the once over.
started out pulling a 1919 out right away, then going thru them,
maybe 1 in 8 or 10 were pre 40's. Wow pretty nice i thought , at first.
while this is the best bag i've ever gotten,
there was absolutely nothing worth more than the maybe $4 a roll,
that "i think" i can get for pre 40 rolls..
8 cents apiece, a lot better than 3-1/2 cents.
it reminded me of a post i read somewhere about buying "Unsearched wheat pennies"
it said that years ago the valuable ones were removed,
then somebody bought them and took out anything worth a buck or so.
Now i'm the one searching for ones worth 8 cents.
Kinda made me laugh
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Unsearched wheat pennies

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm

There is no such thing as an unsearched bag. It goes against human nature. If you truly have a bag you think might contains some key dates you aren't going to sell it to someone on feebay for $250.00 a bag. You are going to go through it. Or you can use the old not searched by me tactic. Yeah they might not have been searched by you but that is not saying they were not searched by your brother or your wife. But people continue to fall for these stories. And yes I fell for a few of them when I first started buying bags on feebay but not anymore, now I only bags that are priced right and just assume they are only going to be common date 40's and 50's.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Finder » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Even someone who saved a lot of wheats long ago looked for the key dates and removed them.

The worse scam is people selling rolls on ebay with one on each end a pretty good, semi rare coin.
The middle is mostly filler crap. I think most of these rolls are put together by the sellers themselves.

I just happen to have a picture of the buyers of these rolls:

My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Exactly Finder. Just the fact that they are separated from circulation means they have been searched. You can't tell me that anyone that finds an 09 - S or a 14 - D is going to throw them in the same pail where he throws all the rest of the wheats he finds.

Like your video. Look at the shepple go.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 am

they need to install several of those along the Arizona border 8-)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby misteroman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 am

I myself, not a story I heard, actually purchased a bag from a local younger guy in my area that HAD to be unsearched. found 2 or 3 vdb's a 24D and some smaller ones.I really enjoyed doing that and wish I could find one like that to go through with my son when he gets a little older
misteroman

Postby Finder » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:32 am

beauanderos wrote:they need to install several of those along the Arizona border 8-)

I agree, along the Texas border also.

misteroman, i bet that was exciting to search one of the truly unsearched bags in existence.

I keep hoping on of my wheats are the 55 DD. That someow one in circulation didnt get noticed.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 am

I sell truely unsorted wheat bags. I don't have time to look at them when I process. I have sold 3 bags so far. First person found a 10-S with many teens, twenties, and even and Indian! Second found lots of S mins with teens and twenties. The third has not reported yet. If anyone is interested I sell them for $300 shipped.

Other than that though I don't belive there are many, if any, unsorted bags out there.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby BamaJoe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 pm

While not common, I would have to say there are unsearched wheats out there - since I can honestly say I have some. I hand sorted until I broke $1000 in non wheat copper just to have them. All the wheats went into a bucket. Since I'm mainly a silver/gold guy I've never took the time to learn the key date or variations of the wheats. I did finally roll most of them - around $45 worth. Always told myself that someday I'll check out what to look for and go back thru them, but haven't yet.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 am

There actually truly are some unsearched bags of wheat cents out there.. just not most of the ones that are advertised as such. Some of us just don't have enough time to search through everything. I sold one of my unsearched bags to Market Harmony a while back. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Thogey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 am

beauanderos wrote:they need to install several of those along the Arizona border 8-)

No kidding, we've got to find a way to keep Californians out of here.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby aristobolus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

I know its hard to believe, but relatively unsearched hoards still exist. Several weeks ago, my sister and I purchased some pennies from a local dealer. He said he is too old to go through pennies anymore, and when someone brings them in; he gives them three cents. He then turns around and sells them for four cents. Of that batch, both of us are finding abundant thirties, twenties, teens and 09's. Many "S" pennies as well. Also a few steels. On average we have found about 35% pre- 40's/"S". To top it off, my son found an 06 Indian in the bunch. Futhermore, there were abundant 50's with mint luster on them. These were probably stored away in the late 50's, and someone perhaps inherited them before they turned them in.

I believe that a generational change is occuring whereby young people could care less about pennies. A fair number of good opportunities are out there, but of course there is alot of junk as well. Finally, many old time coin dealers are making their mint on silver and gold. Some of them honestly could care less about Lincolns; they have been there and done that.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing