How's this for pure copper?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How's this for pure copper?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:25 am

I am installing a new generation of lightning rods on a large mansion. Actually it's a "lightning suppression system". Very complex. It has 20, yeah that's right, 20 grounding rods! 1400 LF of 99.9% pure copper cable, and lots of other copper goodies.

Here is the cable and two of the "spline ball" lightning rods, and two 6 ft. grounding rods. Anyone want debs on the scrap? Too late, it's all mine! :D

When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: How's this for pure copper?

Postby Morsecode » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 am

Pretty :P

Here's some old twisty style on an abandoned barn. The plan is to someday put cows in there again so re-habbing could include taking down the copper, gutters too.

And this is one type of roof ridge lightning suppression insulator that would've been in use at the time. Patent dates 1870s. Sadly, I didn't find any.

Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 am

[quote="Morsecode"]Pretty :P

Here's some old twisty style on an abandoned barn. The plan is to someday put cows in there again so re-habbing could include taking down the copper, gutters too.

The rods we are using are stainless steel with copper plated on them.... Cheapest part of this system.

Your rod looks like it is pure copper plate folded, then twisted into a rod. Great stuff when you can find it. :)

I will post a photo of the oldest glass insulator I have later.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:22 pm

That's awesome.
Someone's camouflaged in the background of the first picture.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Just don't leave those cables in plain site - they will disappear. Based on what's being spent on that system alone, I imagine the property is spectacular.

Morsecode: Nice old Chambers LRI. One of the more interesting and recognizable models - and definitely one of the most phallic. Personally, I think the old 19th century ones are the coolest.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:08 am

Here is my favorite glass insulator. Cutter's Tree Insulator, patented Apr 26, 1904. You wire this insulator to a tree and then hang a telegraph wire, or electric wire through it. It is laying on it's side in this photo. The notch in the glass was in the upright position so the wire just dropped into it. Usually the tree would grow around the insulator and crush it. It is rare to find an old one out in the forest still intact.

Tourney64 wrote:That's awesome.
Someone's camouflaged in the background of the first picture.

Haha! That is not camouflage! We're roofers. That is tar splattered on his pants! The rope is one of our rappelling static lines to work really steep roofs.

Dr. Cadmium , I don't have to worry too much about thief on this one. 38 acre site far from the big city, 4 dogs, 5 full time ranch workers who live there. Your are right. It is one of the most beautiful estates I have ever been on.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 am

I've seen and held the Cutter's at shows and I'm always surprised at how big they are.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mrlaufer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Morsecode wrote:I've seen and held the Cutter's at shows and I'm always surprised at how big they are.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason-so you can listen twice as much as you speak.
Molon Labe
mrlaufer
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:59 am

Morsecode wrote:I've seen and held the Cutter's at shows and I'm always surprised at how big they are.

Mine has one small crack and some minor chips. Not in perfect condition. It was still a happy day when I found it on the banks of the Salmon River. Maybe an old dead tree fell into the river and rotted, leaving the insulator behind.

The owners of this estate are wonderful people! He grew up in the Oklahoma Oil Patch. A self-made millionaire. They are great to work with. The engineering company didn't do a very good job planning where to bury grounding rods. They have some being sunk where concrete grade beams are underneath. I have had to move 6 so far.

We will have to buy more copper cable to reach the new locations for ground rods. This cable sells for $3.00 per lineal foot! If anyone knows where I can buy it for less money, please let me know!

Here is a photo of the Carriage House where the workers live.

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:59 pm

This is very nice home! :thumbup:

I'm sure there's a few pounds of copper in there somewhere.....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing