Five-Cent and One-Cent Coin Federal Regulations

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Five-Cent and One-Cent Coin Federal Regulations

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:15 am

aaa30040 wrote:Are there any restrictions for a US citizen, located in the US, melting Canadian coins?

Are there export restrictions on Canadians shipping coins to the US?

You can get a job doing that the Canadian has ran a Alloy Recovery Program and has sent there coins to be smelted From http://www.brinksinc.com/journalArchive/Brinks_Journal_Issue11.pdf

In 2008, discussions and negotiations commenced to provide
Alloy Recovery Program services (ARP) in Toronto. The ARP
separates steel plated coins from alloy coins in quarters, dimes
and nickels, at which point the Mint demonetizes and sends them
to U.S. smelting operations to extract the specific alloys that will
be for sale on the world market.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Klark Cent » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:45 am

transistor wrote:Really though, how could you get caught if you melted it yourself? Once it's melted, is there any way the feds could prove it was once pennies?

Abe Lincoln's DNA.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Calvertcoin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 pm

What temperatures & what equipment would be reasonable for a backyard or basement melting operation, I would only be melting stripped electrical wiring scrap to mix with my Canadian cents. :)
Calvertcoin

Postby bman » Sat May 26, 2012 9:11 pm

I just found this website that gives the melting point for most metals. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/melting-temperature-metals-d_860.html

Copper melts at 1084 degrees celsius / 1983 degrees fahrenheit but I'm not sure what your fuel source would have to be to get that hot.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby My2Cents » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Here's a website that has a lot of DIY metalcasting type work.... From simple build-it-yourself casting rigs... to links to Forging setups.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/

I think that if you have a good burner with a well insulated furnace (castable refractory to 2100 degrees), you should be able to do it with a propane tank.

Here's a link to some high tech burners too... And not badly priced either.
http://hybridburners.com/
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cheeple » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I wonder if after the dollar crashes if we'll have keep our coins and maybe Ben Bukkake and his bank cartel the federal reserve will just create a new dollar.
I will send you a free silver dime, just go here: http://www.cashcrate.com/443331 earn $10 for yourself then I'll send it to you!
cheeple

Postby helzelscoins » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:59 pm

So I can melt canadian coins??? I am not going to, but it is really legal???
helzelscoins

Postby Broseph » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:55 pm

cheeple wrote:I wonder if after the dollar crashes if we'll have keep our coins and maybe Ben Bukkake and his bank cartel the federal reserve will just create a new dollar.

If the dollar becomes less valuable, all they have to do is PRINT MOAR!!! :roll:
Big score of silver! Video below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR_trSkCkHI
Broseph
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Klark Cent » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Broseph wrote:
cheeple wrote:I wonder if after the dollar crashes if we'll have keep our coins and maybe Ben Bukkake and his bank cartel the federal reserve will just create a new dollar.

If the dollar becomes less valuable, all they have to do is PRINT MOAR!!! :roll:

Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 am

Repeal this law before copper prices go down any farther!!!! We should start a petition. Has anyone anywhere started a petition yet?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:45 am

PennyPauper wrote:Very good read.
"this regulation's purpose is to protect the Nation's coinage by ensuring there are sufficient 5-cent and one-cent coins in circulation to meet the needs of the United States."

Six commenters stated that the public would hoard the coins and remove them from circulation. The United States Mint is aware that 5-cent and one-cent coins may be hoarded. However, the legislative history of 31 U.S.C. 5111(d) indicates that when Congress passed the Coinage Act of 1965, section 105 (the predecessor provision to 31 U.S.C. 5111(d)), it did not intend on prohibiting hoarding because of concerns that such prohibitions would be difficult to enforce and that citizens might unknowingly violate the regulations. The United States Mint does not intend to prohibit the hoarding of 5-cent and one-cent coins but, consistent with the legislative intent of 31 U.S.C. 5111(d), has implemented these prohibitions on exportation, melting, and treatment to reduce the incentive to hoard these coins.

Hoard On!

And war nickels are exempt.

(d) The prohibition contained in § 82.1 against the exportation, melting, or treatment of 5-cent coins shall not apply to 5-cent coins inscribed with the years 1942, 1943, 1944, or 1945 that are composed of an alloy comprising copper, silver and manganese.

I can't believe I didn't know about this until just now! (Not that I've got a huge stack of War Nickels) Does anyone know how much a smelter would charge to melt down war nickels based on say, $100 face value or $1,000 face?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 am

And war nickels are exempt.

Interestingly, I don't believe half-dimes are, technically.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:02 am

I know I can't legally ship a box of pennies to Japan, but a buyer insists that his APO address there is a US address, and therefore a legal destination for coins mailed from the mainland. What do you think?
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:14 am

helzelscoins wrote:So I can melt canadian coins??? I am not going to, but it is really legal???

As long as you are in a country that did not make the coins you can melt any coins with no legal problems.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 am

tinhorn wrote:I know I can't legally ship a box of pennies to Japan, but a buyer insists that his APO address there is a US address, and therefore a legal destination for coins mailed from the mainland. What do you think?

APO/FPO/DPO's are US addresses. Extraterritorial jurisdiction extends to US citizens on US military bases in foreign lands. You still need to fill out customs forms, but restrictions of shipment are focused on chemicals and fruits and vegetables. Regulations for Japan require the use of Priority mail to ship coins and currency. I think I would ship this.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby cooyon » Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Verbane wrote:
tinhorn wrote:I know I can't legally ship a box of pennies to Japan, but a buyer insists that his APO address there is a US address, and therefore a legal destination for coins mailed from the mainland. What do you think?

APO/FPO/DPO's are US addresses. Extraterritorial jurisdiction extends to US citizens on US military bases in foreign lands. You still need to fill out customs forms, but restrictions of shipment are focused on chemicals and fruits and vegetables. Regulations for Japan require the use of Priority mail to ship coins and currency. I think I would ship this.

+1
I used an FPO address from 1984-2004 while stationed in the Philippines and Japan...while I was in Japan, the US military base exchanges and commissary stores began rounding off purchases to the nearest five cents, because it was so costly to ship pennies overseas (at least that was the official story)...the military banking facilities on base always had pennies though...interesting fact about the military postal system is it's free from the gateway postal hub (such as SFO) to the overseas military post office, you are only paying postage from your location to the gateway hub, not all the way to Japan.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OdedPaz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:20 pm

I wonder - what would the regulations be regarding the melting of elongated Cents?

I am a designer & roller of elongated coins, and while elongating Cents they often misrolled or are mutilated / not usable.

I have a 5 gallon bucket in my workshop that has a few thousands of these mutilated & elongated coins.

Would it be legal to melt these or not?
OdedPaz

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:22 pm

The following can be found at: http://www.usmint.gov/email/MUTILATEDCOIN.pdf

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT UNCURRENT AND MUTILATED COINS

1) What is the difference between Uncurrent and Mutilated coins?

UNCURRENT: U.S. coins which are merely worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion yet are readily and clearly recognizable and machine countable, are classified as Uncurrent Coins.

MUTILATED: All coins that are bent, broken, corroded, not whole, melted together and not machine countable, are classified as Mutilated Coins.

2) Where do I redeem Uncurrent coins?

You should contact your bank to redeem uncurrent coins at face value. (This includes
silver coins).

3) Where do I redeem Mutilated coins?

Mutilated coins are redeemable at:
United States Mint
ATTN: Mutilated Coin Redemption Section
P.O. Box 400 for Post Office shipments only
151 N. Independence Mall East
Philadelphia, PA 19106

You may mail them through the U.S. Post Office, Federal Express, UPS, etc. You can also deliver in person to the loading dock located between Race and Arch streets on 4th street. Receiving hours are 6:00AM to 1:00PM, Monday through Friday.
ALL PERSONS DELIVERING COINS TO THE U. S. MINT, MUST FIRST SCHEDULE A DROP OFF DATE AND BE CLEARED BY MINT SECURITY AT LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. PLEASE CALL (215) 408-0203 FOR MORE INFORMATION.

4) What information must I supply with my coins?

Name, Address, Telephone Number, and SSN or TIN.
Note: As required by 31 USC 3325(b) and Treasury instructions, a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Social Security Number must be provided for all individuals and entities in order to receive government payment.

5) Are there any mutilated coins that the U.S. Mint will not redeem?

The following will not be redeemed by the U.S. Mint:
Fused material unrecognizable as U.S. currency.
Foreign coins.
Counterfeit coins and slugs.
Altered coins, changed to pass as another denomination. Coins or lumps of coins, which contain lead, solder or other substances, which would make them unsuitable for use as coinage metal. Precious coins (gold or silver).
Note: There is a minimum of 1LB or .45KG per denomination or separated alloy that can be accepted for redemption. Any underweight coin will not be processed for redemption and all shipping expenses and risk involved with the Mutilated coins shipped to the Mint will be incurred by the shipper.

6) Do I have to separate the coins, pennies from nickels,etc?
Yes, each coin must be separated by Alloy.

7) How will I be paid for these mutilated coins?
You will receive a check for your coins or direct deposit to your bank account if you complete a SF-3881, ACH Vendor/Miscellaneous payment enrollment form. http://www.fms.treas.gov/pdf/3881.pdf

Denomination Category: Rate per Kg. / Lbs.
a) Cents, both copper and copper zinc. $3.21 $1.45
b) Nickels $9.99 $4.50
c) Clad coins(dimes, quarters,halves) $44.09 $19.84
d) Dollar(Susan b.Anthony,Golden Dollar) $123.46 $56.00
REMEMBER THE U.S. MINT ONLY REDEEMS COINS!

8) Paper Currency is redeemed at:

Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
OCS, BEPA, Room 344
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, D.C. 20013
Telephone# 202-874-2361.

9) How long do I have to wait for payment?

It is estimated that you will receive payment within 6 to 8 weeks from the time the coins arrive at the U.S. Mint.

10) Can I call the U.S. Mint to check on my coin shipment?

Primary number to call is (215) 408-0203
Secondary number is (215) 408-0204

THE FOLLOWING TABLE WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF COIN WEIGHTS
DENOMINATIONS PIECES PER POUND
.01 BRONZE 146
.01 ZINC 181
.05 91
.10 200
.25 80
.50 40
1.00 IKE 20
1.00 SBA 56
1.00 GOLDEN DOLLAR 56
COINS NEED TO BE SEPARATED AND BE A POUND OR MORE
Pennies have to be by them self.
Nickels have to be by them self.
Dimes, Quarters, Half Dollars and Ike dollars can go together.
SBA and the Golden dollars need to be separated also.
Copper Catcher

Postby OdedPaz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:12 pm

WOW! this is GREAT INFORMATION!!!

Thank you very very much for sharing!
OdedPaz

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:The following can be found at: http://www.usmint.gov/email/MUTILATEDCOIN.pdf

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT UNCURRENT AND MUTILATED COINS

1) What is the difference between Uncurrent and Mutilated coins?

UNCURRENT: U.S. coins which are merely worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion yet are readily and clearly recognizable and machine countable, are classified as Uncurrent Coins.

MUTILATED: All coins that are bent, broken, corroded, not whole, melted together and not machine countable, are classified as Mutilated Coins.

2) Where do I redeem Uncurrent coins?

You should contact your bank to redeem uncurrent coins at face value. (This includes
silver coins).

3) Where do I redeem Mutilated coins?

Mutilated coins are redeemable at:
United States Mint
ATTN: Mutilated Coin Redemption Section
P.O. Box 400 for Post Office shipments only
151 N. Independence Mall East
Philadelphia, PA 19106

You may mail them through the U.S. Post Office, Federal Express, UPS, etc. You can also deliver in person to the loading dock located between Race and Arch streets on 4th street. Receiving hours are 6:00AM to 1:00PM, Monday through Friday.
ALL PERSONS DELIVERING COINS TO THE U. S. MINT, MUST FIRST SCHEDULE A DROP OFF DATE AND BE CLEARED BY MINT SECURITY AT LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. PLEASE CALL (215) 408-0203 FOR MORE INFORMATION.

4) What information must I supply with my coins?

Name, Address, Telephone Number, and SSN or TIN.
Note: As required by 31 USC 3325(b) and Treasury instructions, a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Social Security Number must be provided for all individuals and entities in order to receive government payment.

5) Are there any mutilated coins that the U.S. Mint will not redeem?

The following will not be redeemed by the U.S. Mint:
Fused material unrecognizable as U.S. currency.
Foreign coins.
Counterfeit coins and slugs.
Altered coins, changed to pass as another denomination. Coins or lumps of coins, which contain lead, solder or other substances, which would make them unsuitable for use as coinage metal. Precious coins (gold or silver).
Note: There is a minimum of 1LB or .45KG per denomination or separated alloy that can be accepted for redemption. Any underweight coin will not be processed for redemption and all shipping expenses and risk involved with the Mutilated coins shipped to the Mint will be incurred by the shipper.

6) Do I have to separate the coins, pennies from nickels,etc?
Yes, each coin must be separated by Alloy.

7) How will I be paid for these mutilated coins?
You will receive a check for your coins or direct deposit to your bank account if you complete a SF-3881, ACH Vendor/Miscellaneous payment enrollment form. http://www.fms.treas.gov/pdf/3881.pdf

Denomination Category: Rate per Kg. / Lbs.
a) Cents, both copper and copper zinc. $3.21 $1.45
b) Nickels $9.99 $4.50
c) Clad coins(dimes, quarters,halves) $44.09 $19.84
d) Dollar(Susan b.Anthony,Golden Dollar) $123.46 $56.00
REMEMBER THE U.S. MINT ONLY REDEEMS COINS!

8) Paper Currency is redeemed at:

Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
OCS, BEPA, Room 344
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, D.C. 20013
Telephone# 202-874-2361.

9) How long do I have to wait for payment?

It is estimated that you will receive payment within 6 to 8 weeks from the time the coins arrive at the U.S. Mint.

10) Can I call the U.S. Mint to check on my coin shipment?

Primary number to call is (215) 408-0203
Secondary number is (215) 408-0204

THE FOLLOWING TABLE WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF COIN WEIGHTS
DENOMINATIONS PIECES PER POUND
.01 BRONZE 146
.01 ZINC 181
.05 91
.10 200
.25 80
.50 40
1.00 IKE 20
1.00 SBA 56
1.00 GOLDEN DOLLAR 56
COINS NEED TO BE SEPARATED AND BE A POUND OR MORE
Pennies have to be by them self.
Nickels have to be by them self.
Dimes, Quarters, Half Dollars and Ike dollars can go together.
SBA and the Golden dollars need to be separated also.

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing this!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Copper cents and nickels were introduced as tokens at a time their intrinsic value was only minimal compared to their face value. These beveled disks have become a commodities with a value greater than their representation. Copper cents and nickels both show the active debasement, or inflating, of the United States Dollar taking place in America today. 

One reason to stack copper cents and nickels is Fiduciary Currency Token Monies actively defaulting and becoming Commodity Money. 
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:57 am

Another reason to stack copper cents is to beat the competition!!!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing