are there proof cents in canada?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

are there proof cents in canada?

Postby Nokozan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:18 pm

i found a really nice BU 1964 cent from Canada its so shiny, just wondering if canada made proof cents?
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Re: are there proof cents in canada?

Postby Joogaler » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:40 am

That's a very good question...

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Re: are there proof cents in canada?

Postby didou » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:12 am

The RCM didn't officially made proof coins back then. They made higher quality sets and call them uncirculated. Collector start to call them proof-like since they were quite brilliant but not as mirror as u.s. mint proof coins. Canadian grading company grade them as PL (proof-like) even if the RCM sold them as uncirculated. Some of these set have a CAMEO (contrast) effect (dull queen on a mirror background) graded Ultra Heavy Cameo, Heavy Cameo and Cameo depending on the strength of the contrast. But the Cameo effect quickly wear off the die and on many set isn't visible at all, that's probably why the RCM never sold these as proof.

I think the RCM started to make proof coins in 1981 and today they now made 4 grade of coins : business strike, uncirculated, specimen, proof. But i still have a hard time understand all these coins finish, i will let someone who know better about them jump in.

From 1954(1953?) to 1960 these where sold in card box Image

Starting in 1961 they issued proof-like set in pliofilm :
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing