NE Penny Indiana Hoard..~ 1.5 Mill now (Coppers Gone)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Mega Pennies NE Indiana Hoard..~ 2 Million (Updated Info

Postby EthanA » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:27 pm

There is no lone bidder that I know of. He knew of Arizona Dave so he called him. Other than that I think it is all open for now..
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:29 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Group buy? Can you imagine how hard it would be to split that many pennies fairly? Whomever did the work would deserve a pretty hefty fee for all the work!

Sure there would be lots of work and details to work out, but where there is a will there is a way.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 am

Still curious what city we are talking about. I can see the Indiana Toll Road from my living room window. That road heads straight east to the Ohio border. Speed limit is 70mph and my cruise control is set at 75! Just saying!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby realhumancopper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:45 pm

If I were physically able I would try to buy it myself. Disabled--brain and body-so that's out. If "Jonas" wants to grab the handle I would be glad to be one of the shareholders. If the value is $7000 just as a figure, 10 people coming up w/ $700 shouldn't be hard to do. Then, be ready to gather patience and let the distribution play out in it's own sweet time. I'm 70 and in no hurry. Good Luck......all
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby realhumancopper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:47 pm

If it's $75,000 it should be doable to find 10 people w/ $7500. It can be done. better if one person is in charge who all shareholder's trust............hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Sounds like fun if it could happen.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Sullysullinburg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:05 pm

I would like in but if we all have to have equal parts then I can't do it because I don't have $7500 lying around :lol:
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Postby realhumancopper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:27 pm

I guess we need someone to step foreword to examine the lot and decide upon a price that will get the job done and still represent excellent value. if we can't buy it very attractively=low, no reason to get involved. Next, we need some folks to commit to at least a 10% stake in the total if the deal can be put together and the representative for the shareholder group is satisfied--he/she will have to be compensated. I am up for 10% (at least) if the deal/quantity, etc. is as we have been told.....................hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby EthanA » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:32 pm

If you are that close to the toll road you are a little over an hour away maybe...

Try it - I think he is selling parts of it now I am not sure. I was supposed to talk with him but got tied up in short obamacare lines.....

(1) zPac $4

(2) hours waiting in lines (1 minute with doc)
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:36 pm

I'm in Portage. Where do I need to go? :thumbup: :angel: :wave:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby EthanA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:08 am

Close to Fort Wayne
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:54 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:I'm in Portage. Where do I need to go? :thumbup: :angel: :wave:

I'd be a willing shareholder, now that you are checking things out.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:49 pm

http://www.dollarsandcentscoins.com/ I am told this is who ones the coins n question.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby realhumancopper » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 pm

That does not bode well in terms of getting a deal on the whole lot that would provide for an executor to take care of distributing the goods, if we could find the investors. Two, now. I guess the wild card is that one of the people on the forum who is close by intends to buy the whole hoard for him/her self. Best of luck to them.......hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby EthanA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:00 pm

highroller4321 wrote:http://www.dollarsandcentscoins.com/ I am told this is who ones the coins n question.

You are correct, that is him. (thanks for posting it for all to see) << sarcasm

I finally got to talk with him today and I was surprised. No one not a single person from here has called about the pennies.

Look, at this point, since the person above posted his info for all to see then I see no reason to be involved anymore. I will say this however, there are folks (not from here) that are contacting him (maybe he called them?) about certain rolls. He knows this is a bad idea as it will make it harder to sell the whole lot.

As can be seen above he has a coin store but that does not change the fact that he was not a variety collector and these are un-searched for the most part.

If you have interest in these, please by all means call him. I know a few of you are close, withing a few hours and one can easily come see them in person.
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:39 pm

You are correct, that is him. (thanks for posting it for all to see) << sarcasm

Why didn't you disclose this from the beginning?
This is not the way we do business. Did you and your friend actually think this fact would not be discovered?

We are big boys we understand how these deals run.

Full disclosure= honest deals. Talking around facts just wastes time.

In the long run it really doesn't matter that the owner is a dealer. We all buy form dealers.

Why would you fail to mention it?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby realhumancopper » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Wild coin chase, it appears........hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby EthanA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:10 pm

Thogey wrote:Why didn't you disclose this from the beginning?

Well I will actually break it down for you. First this was not his decision as to disclose or not. He was/is sick and could/can not handle 50 questions from people wanting only portions of the hoard or just plain wanting to pay 1.1 cents for it. Believe me, in some of the emails I got, that is exactly what happened. I knew who was serious and who was not. I had an offer for $25k for all of it, that is $25k for $20K face.....

I took the most serious, discussed it with him and then gladly passed the information to those about how to contact him. Just as I said I would.

Thogey wrote:This is not the way we do business. Did you and your friend actually think this fact would not be discovered?

He had no real part in the posting on these forums, but I did get his permission to try. There is no scam here contrary to what a few here think. No lies, no deceit ( at least intentional on my part or his).
I guess you can say I wanted to filter, and in that regard I did what I wanted.

Thogey wrote:We are big boys we understand how these deals run.

Ok now that it is out there, I hope you that are serious will contact him. At the time, I did not know if he would even be back, his voice was gone. It did not look good at all but after seeing him today, I think he is doing much better. He can handle his own, and he can now filter out the vultures. I know that is a bad word but facts are facts.....he is not stupid, when someone offers him $4 a penny when there are many dealers paying $8 for the same penny, then you begin to understand the dilemma. There are a few that has very detailed conversations with me via email and PM. In those instances I provided much more detail. No one seemed to pissed at that point. Heck they had the spreadsheet and one I even sent mine to on how I came up with a figure. To most of those folks, I took them serious as I hope they did me.

Big boys? Go for it, its all yours to determine now...

Thogey wrote:Full disclosure= honest deals. Talking around facts just wastes time.

Well I can kind of understand the hesitancy on your part and I hope you can understand the vagueness on mine. I for one did not have all the facts and immediate access to get those answers. I did the best I could considering the circumstances.

Thogey wrote:In the long run it really doesn't matter that the owner is a dealer. We all buy form dealers.

Well, I do not think of him as a dealer in that regard. This was his personal collection, not his 'stock' so to speak. I collect something totally different so I was/am no penny expert. Some of you are which is why I tried to get the most accurate information I could, the pictures being one.

Either way, be not mad at him. I chose to go that route and as I said at the start, all I wanted was to get him in personal contact with serious collectors. I hesitated coming to a penny board as I thought only copper would be discussed and for the most part I have been proven wrong. I am glad someone contacted me and told me to come here. I hope it pans out for both....

Thogey wrote:Why would you fail to mention it?
Why did I fail to mention that he owned a coin store? Well that is a good question and I did think about it. But I also knew that detail could reveal his identity fairly quick and things were not looking so good. I guess I decided to put the list of pennies out there and see if folks would be interested and for the most part they were. This is of course why I had to go back and get more details, details that collectors would want not copper hoarders. In this regard it worked as I intended.

If you think I was being deceitful then that is your full right but I do not see it that way under the circumstances I had.

Can you please point out one lie?

You see, if I would have come out and said what I thought the medical condition was (an actually that is a bigger deal than him having a coin store), many would have done exactly what he was afraid of. I will just call it 'vulturism'. I did see that but those that actually took the time to pm me, with the thoughts and questions, I made a judgement on who to forward the contact information to...some guessed there were medical issues which I did not deny but was hesitant to give full disclosure. You see, it does not matter his condition when you have the list and are interested in what he has for sale.

Was I wrong? Maybe so but I tell you what. Given the same circumstances again, I would probably go about it the same way....

So in conclusion, be not mad at him. I have tried to even get him to join this board and come answer questions directly. To be honest I offered to help him set it up but I just think he is tired and does not have the energy to do that. He looked good today and was even laughing a bit. I had not seen him smile for at least 2 weeks.

He will sell these along with the other items. I guess you could consider the other stuff stock for the most part and I am really clueless as to what all he has. I will tell you however that if your after Kennedy's, I have probably cleaned him out long before this all started.

I know he wants me to take a bunch of nickels to the bank for him which I will do as I did the zincs......he is divesting himself of things. No different than most of us here would do under the same circumstances.

But what I will say with high confidence is that he has around 2 million pennies that are worth well over face to most everyone, if you want to buy them, then by all means give him a call.

If you think I was trying to scam or lie or deceive then all I can do is tell you that I was not. You can move on and not pay anymore attention to the thread. Simple as that....

Good day all
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby realhumancopper » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Who was it who talked about "transparency"? The above is the most transparently opaque pile of sophistry. The lipstick does not make the animal attractive. Let's call off this charade and go back to talking about real pennies, and other stuff of everyday interest...........hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby EthanA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 pm

realhumancopper wrote:Who was it who talked about "transparency"? The above is the most transparently opaque pile of sophistry. The lipstick does not make the animal attractive. Let's call off this charade and go back to talking about real pennies, and other stuff of everyday interest...........hal

Thanks. At least you are honest as I tried to be....

will someone please point out a LIE?

The coins are there, make your own deal...

Call it what you want, but I did what I thought was right. Blame no one but me........
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 pm

There was no lie or deceit. I wasn't trying to say that. Just that is it easier to lay down the facts of the deal up front.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. It's just a suggestion for doing business here, we are all dealers, on some level. We all understand the work that goes into putting a hoard like that together.

For this big a deal, a real dealer needs sound information.

Ethan, I hope your friend gets the deal he wants.

For the membership: stay liquid! Maybe hoarding is not the best option.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby EthanA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Thogey wrote:There was no lie or deceit. I wasn't trying to say that. Just that is it easier to lay down the facts of the deal up front.

Ok understand, I sensed that was what some were thinking, be it right or wrong. I fully understand that and I can relate. I withheld some information but I had what I thought was a good reason to do just that.

Thogey wrote:I'm not trying to pick a fight. It's just a suggestion for doing business here, we are all dealers, on some level. We all understand the work that goes into putting a hoard like that together.

Agreed, no fight picked. I just felt I had to explain why I did what I did, good or bad. Yeah I search halves and can just imagine the pennies. I did do pennies with my dad in the mid 70's and we had one bad of wheaties when done...2 million blows my mind...

Thogey wrote:For this big a deal, a real dealer needs sound information.

Agreed, as for the details of the pennies themselves, I tried to get the most accurate I could. The health and personal information of the owner was not needed I thought, especially at that time.

Thogey wrote:Ethan, I hope your friend gets the deal he wants.

Boy so do I, I can see the fright of all the time and to let it go under these circumstances makes me sick to my stomach.

Thogey wrote:For the membership: stay liquid! Maybe hoarding is not the best option.

No worries I guess but you bring a good point. I have had conversations with my kids about what happens to mine, and I am thinking if given the opportunity I will sell myself as I know the values. The kids do not and they will sell for face/bullion. Mine know better know but that is not to say what would happen in 20 years if the Lord grants me that long.

It is something to think about for sure.......all of you. What happens to your hoard and under what conditions to you want that decision made?
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:03 am

Ethan, I'm not bidding on this lot, but have been following the posts very closely and will be curious who takes down the whole thing and, if possible, what they pay for it. I just want to say that I think you did a fantastic job in assisting someone who wasn't in a position to do all the work themselves. :clap:
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby EthanA » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:09 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Ethan, I'm not bidding on this lot, but have been following the posts very closely and will be curious who takes down the whole thing and, if possible, what they pay for it. I just want to say that I think you did a fantastic job in assisting someone who wasn't in a position to do all the work themselves. :clap:

Thank you, you pretty much nailed it.....

I am curious also on how and what happens...

I know that an auctioneer has been contacted, actually that was in the beginning but I do not see how that would turn out well. I do not think it was for the pennies, I think that was for stock.

I wish him well, there are things that I would like to add but will refrain due to respect for Gary.......lets just say that I like him and I hope I am able to assist him in some way...
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Being so close to Fort Wayne and their multiple local coin shops, why haven't they came in and bought everything out?
TheJonasCollegeFund

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing