NE Penny Indiana Hoard..~ 1.5 Mill now (Coppers Gone)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Mega Pennies NE Indiana Hoard..~ 2 Million (Updated Info

Postby EthanA » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:16 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Being so close to Fort Wayne and their multiple local coin shops, why haven't they came in and bought everything out?

Well my understanding is that they only want the good stuff, to part it out...
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:22 pm

EthanA wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Being so close to Fort Wayne and their multiple local coin shops, why haven't they came in and bought everything out?

Well my understanding is that they only want the good stuff, to part it out...

Makes sense, I guess.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby realhumancopper » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Must have thought we were all driving around in our turnip trucks. I have been around coin dealers for 50 years. If this was any kind of great deal it would have been gone long ago. Dr. Jonas, you have identified the spam w/out the tasty flavor; or even the promise of something to relish. Forum played-clumsily-like a fine Strad--w/ turnip leaves hanging off the bow............hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby EthanA » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:24 pm

realhumancopper wrote:Must have thought we were all driving around in our turnip trucks.

Well not really , that is kinda of drastic don't ya think?

realhumancopper wrote: I have been around coin dealers for 50 years.

Well maybe so, but I can assure you this is no big time dealer like you think.

realhumancopper wrote: If this was any kind of great deal it would have been gone long ago.

Well it very well could have been. I know that it is not gone yet and since he has been afforded more time, I hope he gets a better deal than some of the vultures would have offered.

realhumancopper wrote:Dr. Jonas, you have identified the spam w/out the tasty flavor; or even the promise of something to relish. Forum played-clumsily-like a fine Strad--w/ turnip leaves hanging off the bow............hal

Did he now Hal? Really? It seems my conversations with Jonas do not make me feel he felt that way, maybe I am wrong who knows?

Whatever Hal. I have been as honest about this as I could. I know that I was doing what I thought was right, if you do not believe me or think there was some kind of ill meant then I can not change it. Frankly I do not care what you think.

If all of you or at least some think I am full of it, fine. All I ask is you call the man and ask him. The pennies are there as presented......It disgusts me that some assume I was up to no good. It doesn't seem to register to some that I did have good intentions and still do. I protected the mans identity while he was in the hospital and very sick. If you do not like it - tough [shucks].

For those interested in the pennies, call the man would you, THEN make your judgement.

Hal please do not call him, you seem like one of the vulture types...
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby realhumancopper » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:44 pm

Good intentions don't often count for much except in trivial matters. I just don't like being spammed and played on these boards. "Sins of omission" was the word when I was w/ the flock. But, you admit it, so fair enough. I worked for vultures. I was not nearly tough enough to make it into their inner circle...........hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby EthanA » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:13 am

realhumancopper wrote:Good intentions don't often count for much except in trivial matters. I just don't like being spammed and played on these boards. "Sins of omission" was the word when I was w/ the flock. But, you admit it, so fair enough. I worked for vultures. I was not nearly tough enough to make it into their inner circle...........hal

Wait a minute...I do not admit playing anybody, I admit I left out information about the owner and for good reason. You have yet to tell me where I lied. One other little tidbit, even if he is a coin store owner, how did that affect what was for sale? You say that was dishonest, I do not say that at all. It is not pertinent to what is for sale, and no he has not checked these for varieties, again you assume things.

....ignorance....

You say I spammed...that is horsepuckey.

Have you called him? What part about the pennies being there do you not get? The pennies were not presented in any fashion that was not true. They are there........as listed...in condition and number as presented.

You are reaching.......and quite simply complaining........how can you or anyone say I was spamming when you have NOT called the man and made him an offer. I was told there were folks that woudl jump at an opportunity like this on this board. A few like that did contact me via PM and then they got more information.

I find it odd that not one of them I was in contact with has even called the man nor posted something of what information I provided farther than in a public forum.

This seems odd to me, strange......

So Hal - I think you are full of yourself quite frankly....'worked for vultures and could not gain access to the inner circle'......that explains things.

Good day sir
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:53 am

[quote="EthanA
I find it odd that not one of them I was in contact with has even called the man nor posted something of what information I provided farther than in a public forum.
[/quote]

Not odd at all. If I were working a deal with someone, I would not post the details for everyone.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:45 am

Just because he is a dealer and owns a store, does NOT mean he checked for varieties. You really need to LOVE varieties to spend the time to check for them. I can easily see someone just hoarding them because they do not have the time to check each coin for various die varieties. I lOVE die varieties so I spend the time to check, but to me this is a hobby not a business. If I was a business owner I might just buy them from some poor sap like me, and marked them up. :D
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby EthanA » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:28 am

knibloe wrote:Not odd at all. If I were working a deal with someone, I would not post the details for everyone.

Fair enough, I just know that no one had called him about the pennies as of yet (From this board). Sure he has had calls but for specific rolls only and these calls are from the dealers that now know the situation.........and yes they too just do not get it.

He told me of one (dealer) that said he would take the ? 1922 rolls only and asked a price. Gary did not even bother.......

Guys if you want them, the call because at some point he will have to part it out and then take the rest to the bank......Time is short, although not as short as I thought it was two weeks ago.

There is no more that I can do except to say, if you are interested in 2 million pennies, call him.

It is a phone call......
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby EthanA » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:29 am

willy13 wrote:Just because he is a dealer and owns a store, does NOT mean he checked for varieties. You really need to LOVE varieties to spend the time to check for them. I can easily see someone just hoarding them because they do not have the time to check each coin for various die varieties. I lOVE die varieties so I spend the time to check, but to me this is a hobby not a business. If I was a business owner I might just buy them from some poor sap like me, and marked them up. :D

Bingo!

I think you said it better than I did. I tried to explain it...but you have done it for me.

Thank you.
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby EthanA » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:00 pm

********** NOW SOLD!!!! ***************

********** NOW SOLD!!!! ***************

Looks like around 30+ buckets to me....JonasCollegeFund

That only comes to around 2500lbs or so but he says he has 640K so I guess 75lbs a bucket is wrong, closer to 150lbs
Last edited by EthanA on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Madwest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:20 pm

EthanA wrote:
Looks like around 30+ buckets to me....JonasCollegeFund

That only comes to around 2500lbs or so but he says he has 640K so I guess 75lbs a bucket is wrong, closer to 150lbs

5 gal pail of brass cents weighs 170lb (or more if very full)
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Madwest wrote:5 gal pail of brass cents weighs 170lb (or more if very full)

And would be very difficult to stack four high! :shock:
Just say'n ;)
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:00 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:
Madwest wrote:5 gal pail of brass cents weighs 170lb (or more if very full)

And would be very difficult to stack four high! :shock:
Just say'n ;)

If one of those stacks fell over, it could kill a man...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Madwest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:...

If one of those stacks fell over, it could kill a man...

That has always been a concern of mine:
Wife comes looking (because I never ignore the dinner bell) and sees nothing but a sea of spilled Cu Lincolns 4-6ft deep at its deepest. So, she leaves - figuring that I must have went out to blow off steam because of the massive spill. Even days later, it doesn't occur to the detectives, or anyone else for that matter, to "dig" for my remains in my own basement. The antimicrobial effect of the copper keeps the fumes of decomposition to a minimum and the mystery of my disappearance isn't solved until the salvage company (hired by the lender to clean up the repossessed, distressed property) comes in to prep the foreclosure for sale.

That's why I stack 5gal pails 1 high, 2 to a mover's dolly (side by side, banded together). When I use up all of my floor space, I will start stacking but would never consider going more than 2 high.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby EthanA » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Good news, I dropped in and chatted with him today. He looks much better and the Chemo is taking its toll but he looks better than the last time I saw him. I even saw him laugh some tonight.

He had someone call I assume from this board, for that I thank you. Even though this person only wanted certain items, it is a start. Like I had said, he wants to get rid of all of it at once if he can. I can certainly understand why.

I asked him about joining this forum and dropping in to comment and he might do that at some point but not yet. I will have to help him but no biggie.

Also, I discussed some concerns expressed by some here about the varieties. I am even more sure he did not search them, he laughed at the thought actually. I just think it is not his cup of tea....

So if you are interested in this vast sum of pennies, call him and ask your questions....if he was feeling like he was tonight, I think it would be a great conversation. Set up a time to go look if you are close.

One other note, I told him some were discussing a group buy, he said he was not adverse to it at all, but you would need a very large truck.

All things are possible..

Thanks

E
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Ethan:

I've followed this discussion from day one with interest but unable to forward a serious offer. Sir, I consider you one of those who are what's right and good in this world. I apologize for any of the membership who may have treated you with less than respect and applaud you for what you have done and tried to do here for your friend. You've handled it well in my eyes. The man you did this for is no doubt grateful to have such a friend as you. I would.

Brick
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby EthanA » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:21 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Ethan:

I've followed this discussion from day one with interest but unable to forward a serious offer. Sir, I consider you one of those who are what's right and good in this world. I apologize for any of the membership who may have treated you with less than respect and applaud you for what you have done and tried to do here for your friend. You've handled it well in my eyes. The man you did this for is no doubt grateful to have such a friend as you. I would.

Brick

Thanks Brick.....I do appreciate it as some in here I just think of as vultures...they are sure I was trying to screw someone.

So an update is due...

Those only interested in the copper pennies (ones with no numismatic value), er the buckets can now give up. They are now sold. The best part is they were sold to someone on this board that ACTUALLY called him. I do not know how for how much but I do not think it was much over face. I do know that the person that bought them is coming from quite a ways to pick it up. I know that Gary is happy about it as am I so I do not have to haul to the bank.

All it took was a phone call.....is not that a hoot? Many were asking and were less than 150 miles away...and someone states away gets them.

The wheats and Rolls are still there as far as I know, since he sold the coppers off, not sure if he will break it out or not now. If you want to know its a phone call away..

Gary Grepke

His email contact is his store:

dollarsandcentscoins@centurylink.net

Phone 260-244-4311
Mon-Fri 5pm-7pm
Saturday 10AM - 4PM
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I wonder who is getting them....I couldn't swing the deal.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Im not going to go back and read this thread, but isn't "not much over face" for the copper kind of what us "Vultures" Were sayin?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby EthanA » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Im not going to go back and read this thread, but isn't "not much over face" for the copper kind of what us "Vultures" Were sayin?

Well in a way that would be true...but some were offering a little over face for the wheat's and others rolled. If you remember, this started without the coppers, they were thrown in when I found out about it. I do not know how much over face he got, but is someone is driving a few states to get ~6000 lbs over copper, its $15k copper value vs $6500? face? Like I say, I do not know but will probably ask how much. Ultimately, it was his choice....

Also keep in mind it has been a few weeks....

I remember that the whole reason that I started this was the 'collection' not the coppers and most of the emails dealt with just that, the coppers were never really expected to go for 2.5 cents a piece etc....some of the 'inquires' were for 1.x cent for the wheat's and 3 cents for the Indians.

No matter, maybe the guy will bring a big truck and then look and make an offer on all of it...either way 1/3 of the 2 million is now gone....and most importantly both parties are happy with the deal they worked out. That alone makes me happy.
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:06 pm

I guess I need to take back the UHAUL.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby EthanA » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:11 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:I guess I need to take back the UHAUL.

Not if you were the one to make the deal....I think you were closer though.
EthanA
Penny Sorter Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:01 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:I guess I need to take back the UHAUL.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PennysaverCP » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:52 am

Image]

I got a chance to meet and talk to both Ethan and Gary yesterday while picking up some coppers. Both are great guys. I looked at Gary's huge collection and wished I had deeper pockets. Pretty amazing in quality, quantity, and organization. Ethan has gone way above and beyond in his efforts to help Gary liquidate his collection. Anybody who questions Ethans motives in what he is trying to do is off base. He is trying to help his friend who is in a tough spot right now. This is a pile of REALLY nice coins and the numismatic guys would really benefit by talking to Gary and/or Ethan. As I said- I wish I had more money to play with. Thanks for your help Ethan!!!!
PennysaverCP
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing