Is there a market for BU coppers?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is there a market for BU coppers?

Postby Sullysullinburg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:58 pm

I find a lot of them and I feel bad throwing them in the copper pile so is there?
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Re: Is there a market for BU coppers?

Postby coppernickel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 pm

This forum is a good spot, but the metal content value is the same as the uncirculated value.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Well a bu stack would sell ahead of a brown stack, maybe for a premium.

It doesn't hurt to keep them separated.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Not much of a market presently.

But you did mention recently that you were young? In that case, sure...set them aside. You're already sorting for copper anyway, it's no extra effort to set aside the choice coins.

Hang onto them long enough...who knows?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:56 am

It's easy to say to someone to hold onto something for years, but I'd be more comfortable with something that had a better chance of becoming valuable in 5-10 years.

I remember buying a bunch of $2 bills in 1976 and having 13 cent stamps put on them at the post office. This was to celebrate Thomas Jefferson's birthday, as the stamp was of Thomas Jefferson and it was the first day of that stamp being issued by the post office. The line of people ahead of me was over 100 people long. The people were waiting so they could have their crisp $2 bills hand cancelled by the post office to turn them into instant collectibles. I thought I was really onto something. Perhaps 15 years later I'd only sold about 4 of the notes for tiny profits and spent the other roughly 96 bills- losing 13 cents on each one. If you factor inflation into the equation, I lost even more.

My point here is to think about what people will really and truly want and society will need instead of something that will likely never become rare (I.e., uncirculated pennies after 1982). Average circulated copper pennies will likely have more real value than uncirculated zinc ones as copper is used for so many things.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 am

There is definitely a premium. If you have RED copper coins they will go for an easy 2 cents or more each in rolls. That's way above the price of non-BU.

Still probably not worth it, but if they are separate you are making a bit more.
barrytrot

Postby Morsecode » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:30 am

barrytrot wrote:There is definitely a premium. If you have RED copper coins they will go for an easy 2 cents or more each in rolls. That's way above the price of non-BU.

Still probably not worth it, but if they are separate you are making a bit more.

Yes. And I assumed the question was about saving 1959-1981 only.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Madwest » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:09 am

If trying to sell them on Craigslist or Ebay, be careful about calling them BU.
Call them AU (if appropriate) or RED. They are circulated after all.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing