Bank required photo ID to pick up a few penny rolls

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Bank required photo ID to pick up a few penny rolls

Postby KeepStacking » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:22 pm

:thumbdown:

Has this happened to anyone else? I have limited time to sort these days, so my pickups are small. Today I picked up under $10 worth of penny rolls and my own bank required me to provide a driver's license. I have never had this happen before, so it's a bit annoying.
KeepStacking

Re: Bank required photo ID to pick up a few penny rolls

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:24 pm

They don't know you at your own bank?

Tell them you walked and left your ID at home. Say, "I'll be more than happy to leave a urine sample..."
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby KeepStacking » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Morsecode wrote:They don't know you at your own bank?

Tell them you walked and left your ID at home. Say, "I'll be more than happy to leave a urine sample..."

It was a different branch than what I normally use. I wasn't even doing a cash withdrawal as I presented them with a $20 bill and asked for some rolls of pennies and nickels ($10 total in rolls, $10 cash back).
KeepStacking

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Ah...ok.

So to them you were just anyone off the street. In that case it's not unusual to card you. I still have that happen once in a while. Usually more than $10 involved though.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby KeepStacking » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Morsecode wrote:Ah...ok.

So to them you were just anyone off the street. In that case it's not unusual to card you. I still have that happen once in a while. Usually more than $10 involved though.

Sorry forgot to mention that they asked if I had an account there, and I said yes. Then she required my account number. Maybe they are charging non-customers fees for getting rolls so she wanted to verify that I matched the account number. No biggie I suppose, but was just kind of a hassle.
KeepStacking

Postby Sullysullinburg » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Shoot I hope this doesn't happen to me because I don't have a photo Id. :lol:
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:02 am

KeepStacking wrote::thumbdown:

Has this happened to anyone else? I have limited time to sort these days, so my pickups are small. Today I picked up under $10 worth of penny rolls and my own bank required me to provide a driver's license. I have never had this happen before, so it's a bit annoying.

Most likely they wanted to verify that you really were a customer rather than just some
guy that had enough info on one of their customers to pose as one to get your penny fix.

Sullysullinburg wrote:Shoot I hope this doesn't happen to me because I don't have a photo Id. :lol:

I hope you don't smoke then. ;) I've seen and heard from others enough stories of people
that didn't get their nicotine fix and do dumb stuff...stuff that in the wrong place and
time increases your chances of getting shot or at least tased. Much better to ease off
it than go cold turkey.

As for banks I think now a days you need at least one piece of photo ID just to open
a bank account. So even if you already have an account and they know you well, you
could still have trouble if you ever want/need to change banks.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sullysullinburg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 am

fansubs_ca wrote:
KeepStacking wrote::thumbdown:

Most likely they wanted to verify that you really were a customer rather than just some
guy that had enough info on one of their customers to pose as one to get your penny fix.

Sullysullinburg wrote:Shoot I hope this doesn't happen to me because I don't have a photo Id. :lol:

I hope you don't smoke then. ;) I've seen and heard from others enough stories of people
that didn't get their nicotine fix and do dumb stuff...stuff that in the wrong place and
time increases your chances of getting shot or at least tased. Much better to ease off
it than go cold turkey.

As for banks I think now a days you need at least one piece of photo ID just to open
a bank account. So even if you already have an account and they know you well, you
could still have trouble if you ever want/need to change banks.

I'm 15 so I can't smoke either. :lol:
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverflake » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 am

OK, now before Christmas I went into a bank where I don't have an account where I had stopped in before and picked up rolls of pennies and sure enough they asked if I had an account. I told them 'No' and they said they couldn't trade me $10 in pennies for my paper $10 bill. I of course asked why not. The teller (who I know has very little knowledge of the inner working of the bank itself) tells me it's just policy. I say to her "all I am doing is asking for an exchange of one form of U.S. currency for another form. How can that be prohibited?" The girl got that 'dear-in-the-headlights' look so I backed off. What gives? It was a local small bank too, not a Bank of America etc. This is not the first time. I tried at a 'big bank' a while back (BOA) and got same response.

How can we keep stacking?

I will find away. Make sure all of you do too.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby KeepStacking » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:24 am

silverflake wrote:OK, now before Christmas I went into a bank where I don't have an account where I had stopped in before and picked up rolls of pennies and sure enough they asked if I had an account. I told them 'No' and they said they couldn't trade me $10 in pennies for my paper $10 bill. I of course asked why not. The teller (who I know has very little knowledge of the inner working of the bank itself) tells me it's just policy. I say to her "all I am doing is asking for an exchange of one form of U.S. currency for another form. How can that be prohibited?" The girl got that 'dear-in-the-headlights' look so I backed off. What gives? It was a local small bank too, not a Bank of America etc. This is not the first time. I tried at a 'big bank' a while back (BOA) and got same response.

How can we keep stacking?

I will find away. Make sure all of you do too.

When I stacked on a regular basis, I had a really solid relationship with the teller supervisor. Even if I came in to do banking and not get rolls, she would ask if I wanted any. If I did come in for rolls specifically, she would pretty much let me order as much as I wanted. Ah...those were the days. The branch is closed now and I have no idea if she is still with the bank somewhere else or was a casualty of all the branch closings they did.
KeepStacking

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:42 am

Once in a while a teller will ask if I have an account when I ask for pennies. It happens more often with some banks than others. Pulling out the ATM card to show that I have an account usually does the trick. Occasionally they will ask me to slide the card thru the card reader and enter the PIN just to verify. That can be annoying since the transaction is always bills being exchanged for coins without the bank account involved. So far none have asked for a photo ID but one bank in particular has a practice of asking account specific questions to confirm that I am the person named on the account.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:34 am

Sullysullinburg wrote:I'm 15 so I can't smoke either. :lol:

OK, 15, not even driving age. The weird thing, back when I was 16/17ish the
Driver's Licenses here in Manitoba didn't have a photo so most people's ID was:

-Driver's license (no photo)
-Provincial medical card (no photo)
-Birth Certificate (no photo)
-Social Insurance Card (Canada's equivalent to a Social Security card)(no photo)

Almost nobody had a passport because the U.S. didn't require Canadians to have
them back then to cross the border and very few people went further than that.

So almost nobody around here had photo ID in those days! It wasn't until 1993
that we got photos on our driver's licenses.

I think when I opened my Credit Union account in early 2001 I had to show 3
pieces of ID! Things are definately getting tighter!

RBC requires the ATM card swiped and a PIN to get change, they claim it's
a regulation to stop money laundering. (But strangely some other "big 5"
banks might let you get change without even asking if you are a customer
so I suspect the teller made up an answer. ;) )

Yeah! I'm a total drug kingpin and I'm laundering my ill gotten gains though
pennies and nickels so I can deposit them at annother bank and claim they
are from the wishing well in my yard! :D
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Zincanator » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:22 pm

When I first started sorting, I tried a bank where I don't have an account. They were hesitant to give me anything. The teller allowed me two rolls, and gave me an application for a checking account. Have always used banks I'm a member of since, just to avoid the hassle. Even the member banks started giving me grief after a while though. Too bad.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OdedPaz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Are you seeking any kind of logic in a bank, or any institution for that matter? Nope! None is to be found!!!
OdedPaz

Postby Romalae » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:37 pm

Never had this, but from time to time they will ask for your account card. I think some banks charge fees for monetary exchange when you do not have an account there.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing