Does anyone work retail and get to sort through change?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Does anyone work retail and get to sort through change?

Postby KeepStacking » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:34 am

I started a retail job last summer. As a manager, I am responsible for counting out the tills at the beginning, middle and end of day. Of course I look for any cool items. So far I have pulled around 40-50 wheat cents and one war nickel, but no silver dimes or quarters. Also came across one 1963 $5 bill but it wasn't a keeper. Still was cool to see the old school design as I like those so much better than what's floating around now.

Does anyone else work retail and have any cool finds to share?
KeepStacking

Re: Does anyone work retail and get to sort through change?

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Keep a look out for star notes. Might not be worth much but you should get a little better than face. Keep those older bills as well. You never know.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby brian0918 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:27 pm

My mom has been a cashier most of her life, and a retail manager for several years now. She would always keep interesting coins that she found, though I don't think she was looking for silver specifically. Just old coins. That's actually how I got interested in coins was through her interest. She has a whole can of wheats that she collected over the years, and lots of mercury dimes, foreign coins, silver certificates, etc.

My sister works at a bank now, so I'm always reminding her to look out for silver.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:37 pm

My daughter works at the dollar store. She knows to look for silver, and for every $10 in copper cents I buy them for $20. After 3 years we have done the $10 thing three times, and no silver at all.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 pm

I have been a cook in a mom and pop restaurant for over ten years now and am close with the family who owns it. It's a usuall occurrence for me to go through the cash drawer once or twice a shift (as long as I wash my hands after :angel: ). Believe it or not, just on Saturday, I rescued my first silver Washington quarter!! Made my night, haven't found a silver quarter in probably over fifteen years. I'd say on average I find one or two silver dimes and war nickels a year. Over the years I've gotten a few solid wheat rolls from banks and once a solid war nickel roll. I also pull all the wheats and all the Canadian for face. I've also found a few silver certs and a decent amount of star notes. If any of the servers ever find anything unusual they will ask me about it and sell to me if I want it. It's a pretty good system for me! Also a nice informal demonstration of attrition. I don't find nearly as many wheats or Canadian as I used to.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MatthewsTech » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:27 pm

I am a computer tech for a supermarket chain and repair the self checkouts. While working on them i always peek at the coin dispensors and if i see silver i swap it will change from my pocket, found 1 quarter and about 8 dimes this way in the past 3 months.
1% Cash Back on Bullion from Ebay @ ebates: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EmU8DkL62%2BPQi2w8e28nMQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471 (referral link)

Plus earn even more at most online retailers.
MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:52 pm

MatthewsTech wrote:I am a computer tech for a supermarket chain and repair the self checkouts. While working on them i always peek at the coin dispensors and if i see silver i swap it will change from my pocket, found 1 quarter and about 8 dimes this way in the past 3 months.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing