Lost Penny day. February 12.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Postby coppernickel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Local news ran a story that today is the official holiday of lost pennies. They ran the story asking what would you do with all the lost pennies.

My reaction is, "I know where some of them are."

What is your thought on the "holiday?"
Last edited by coppernickel on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Lost Penny day (2-12)

Postby brian0918 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 pm

On this day, I hang my head low, in part to remember all the lost pennies of decades past, but mostly to watch the ground for more pennies to snatch. :D
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Here is a bunch I found with my detector!
Attachments
wheat.jpg
wheat.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:38 pm

My wife and I are avid runners. We both keep our eyes open for loose change when we run. At one point we usually run through a school parking lot. No joke, probably 75% of the time we go through there we find at least a penny. Sometimes multiples, sometimes nicks, dimes or quarters. If we run enough, maybe we can retire.

Keep running...er...stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aristobolus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:54 pm

My son found a weathered 1958 Wheat Penny in our front yard this week; he was pretty jazzed! I told him to look further. You never know what silver is in our front yard...
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Re: Lost Penny day

Postby coppernickel » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Another lost penny day. Any thoughts?

Good luck on the KSA this month.
Last edited by coppernickel on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:36 am

Have totally done my part to rescue, save, nurse back to health, and either rehabilitated and reintroduced back to civilization or allowed to live for free in Brick's Cu penny retirement society among and surrounded by tens of thousands of other senior copper pennies. Truly a paradise penny community.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:31 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Have totally done my part to rescue, save, nurse back to health, and either rehabilitated and reintroduced back to civilization or allowed to live for free in Brick's Cu penny retirement society among and surrounded by tens of thousands of other senior copper pennies. Truly a paradise penny community.

:thumbup:
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:54 pm

I have this recurring dream from time to time... that I am down in the sewer system... and that directly beneath each grate is a trove of old ninety percent coins that
has fallen into the streets over the years, wound up in the gutters, then washed down the grates during rain storms. Being heavy, they remain in the area somewhat close
to the grates/storm drains. Wonder if this is just a product of a feverish imagination or if there might actually be some of those finds if someone were to look into it? :shifty:

I found a penny when I was walking today and picked it up. Later, I dropped one and just left it (I didn't see where it went and I wasn't going to waste time looking). The penny
universe in my solar system remains balanced. :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Heavymetal » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:30 pm

I might know where a few of those lost pennies are :lol:
Heavymetal

Lost Penny day

Postby coppernickel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Another day to remember the lowly cent. Happy lost penny day.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Added another 1500 to Brick's local paradise retirement community today. All are warm and happy. :)
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby wolvesdad » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 am

I started metal detecting my new backyard and recovered a half decomposed Zincoln, two coppers and a 1930 wheat! Plus a sod cutter tool head. Still 3/4 of the yard to go! It's up on YT if you care to watch!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 am

Another lost penny day. :clap:

Thoughts? :?:

Good luck on the KSA this month. :clap:

:wave:
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Lost Penny day. February 12.

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 am

Due to the political and economic climate, immigration to Brick's local (penny) paradise retirement community was down to around 5,000 this year. It was thought many didn't make the trek due to the belief of being turned or forced back into the wild.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I can see proponents of the other denominations getting together and suing whomever created Lost Penny Day. And imagine the field day that foreign coins could have, suing for blatant discrimination. :)

I wonder if Lost Penny Day could have been created by either Adam Youngs or Andy (formerly of Ryedale fame) or perhaps the inventor of the metal detector. Or maybe the folks at Coinstar? (Hmmm)

Pretty soon you will see the term Lost Coin Day instead.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 pm

beauanderos wrote:I have this recurring dream from time to time... that I am down in the sewer system... and that directly beneath each grate is a trove of old ninety percent coins that
has fallen into the streets over the years, wound up in the gutters, then washed down the grates during rain storms. Being heavy, they remain in the area somewhat close
to the grates/storm drains. Wonder if this is just a product of a feverish imagination or if there might actually be some of those finds if someone were to look into it? :shifty:

I found a penny when I was walking today and picked it up. Later, I dropped one and just left it (I didn't see where it went and I wasn't going to waste time looking). The penny
universe in my solar system remains balanced. :lol:

You should live in Switzerland...https://globalnews.ca/news/3797192/scientists-find-over-4m-worth-of-gold-and-silver-in-swiss-sewage-system/
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Today, February 12th is Abraham Lincoln's birthday. He would be 209 years old if still alive. So, to any conspiracy theorist who would say "he never was murdered in the theatre" I say, he would be dead now no matter what.

And, so help me, I'm gonna find a penny (or higher denomination coin) somewhere today.

I wonder how many people on this site will find pennies or coins today...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby MUTiger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
I wonder how many people on this site will find pennies or coins today...

I found one penny today but did not go out much yesterday to find any. It was a zincoln.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Found four Lincoln cents yesterday.

Recyclersteve

Postby frugi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:16 am

During Mardi Gras celebrations here in St. Louis, I wait until the evening when it is late, and only the drunks are left and people passing out in the streets, perhaps an hour or so before the cops form a line and start kicking everyone out of the downtown area. That is when I go on the hunt for cash. One year I found a whole street covered in cash , over $200.00 in bills on the ground in one block. I go with a headlamp and a flash light, a trash bag and a pooper scooper, I wear an orange vest and make myself appear to look like a street cleaner guy, and usually find between $50.00 to $100.00 every year. Some years nothing, and that one year I found $300.00, 200 of it on one street. I have also found cell phones, watches, wallets, purses, jewelry, car keys, credit cards, Mardi Gras beads and doubloons, free beer tickets, and coins like crazy. I dont bother picking up aluminum cans, because it gets too messy and too heavy to quick, and not worth the hassle. I just stay focused, stay aware of my surroundings, and stay sober, and always come out ahead. Even if I dont find much free money, if I found a wallet, cell phone, or purse, I usually get a nice reward when I find the owner.....and the wallets and purses rarely have cash or credit cards in them, so that means someone else usually got to them first before I found them.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:27 am

frugi wrote:During Mardi Gras celebrations here in St. Louis, I wait until the evening when it is late, and only the drunks are left and people passing out in the streets, perhaps an hour or so before the cops form a line and start kicking everyone out of the downtown area. That is when I go on the hunt for cash. One year I found a whole street covered in cash , over $200.00 in bills on the ground in one block. I go with a headlamp and a flash light, a trash bag and a pooper scooper, I wear an orange vest and make myself appear to look like a street cleaner guy, and usually find between $50.00 to $100.00 every year. Some years nothing, and that one year I found $300.00, 200 of it on one street. I have also found cell phones, watches, wallets, purses, jewelry, car keys, credit cards, Mardi Gras beads and doubloons, free beer tickets, and coins like crazy. I dont bother picking up aluminum cans, because it gets too messy and too heavy to quick, and not worth the hassle. I just stay focused, stay aware of my surroundings, and stay sober, and always come out ahead. Even if I dont find much free money, if I found a wallet, cell phone, or purse, I usually get a nice reward when I find the owner.....and the wallets and purses rarely have cash or credit cards in them, so that means someone else usually got to them first before I found them.

I imagine there might be some St. Patrick's Day events where stuff might be found this Saturday night.

Recyclersteve

Postby frugi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:50 am

I have tried doing the money search at the St. Patricks celebrations here. it was NOT GOOD. I have never found anything of value at the St. Pat's celebrations. It is in a very, very white trash area of town.... (an area I used to live in), the streets are all one way and cars park on both sides of street. Everybody is trashed drunk beyond belief by 10:00 am in the morning, car accidents constant, cars hitting houses, cars hitting parked cars, cars hitting pedestrians, and people fighting constantly. Every bar has a cigarette smoke haze down to the floor. Every bar has a fight going on, and every street has a fight going on..... Police presence is absolutely zero, no cops anywhere to be found, no cops cars, no undercover, nothing. I think I saw a cop in a bar once drunk as can be. Also, no public bathrooms at the bars, (they are always closed and locked), and maybe only 1 or 2 Johnny On the Spots in a 10 block area, and they are usually locked because someone is inside having sex or getting high.....so dudes, and gals, are all around pissing and pooping in the streets, in peoples backyards, everybody is having house party.... the houses have open doors, and you can just walk right in even if you dont know the people, eat their food, drink their beer, they dont care, they are so drunk they talk to you thinking they know you, and it is like 9am, lol. Also stray dogs everywhere. GOOD TIMES!
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:06 pm

I've renewed this tread for a few years. I still think it's interesting.

What do you think? :clap:
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Changechecker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Guess I will have to keep an eye out for strays waiting to get picked up tomorrow. Can't remember the last time I found a lost one.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing