Buying pre sorted pennies vs Nickles

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Buying pre sorted pennies vs Nickles

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks for the forum. Been lurking and think copper is an good investment.

My life is such that I don't have time to sort my own pennies, so i'm at the mercy of others to get copper pennies.

I can buy Nickels at face value at my bank.

Here is my thoughts for pennies ( prices as of Feb 5 2011)-

As long as I pay under 2 cents with shipping for each penny, my gain in metal value vs cost is the same as the nickels, ~145%.

So as long as I can get pennies under 2 cents each, I better off getting the pennies.

The down side, is if I'm forced to sell these pennies at face value, I can lose the premium I paid for them over face.

With nickels, since I'm getting them at face, it's hard to ever actually lose money, although they can lose buying power.

So, if I can't get pennies under 2 cents, I'm a lot better off buying Nickels at face.

I suspect we will not see any huge gains in either, until both are pulled from circulation.

So, if you where me, what would you do?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: Buying pre sorted pennies vs Nickles

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Go with the pennies. I've made this argument time and time again. Buy pennies here at 1.6x face until they start coming out your ears.

Welcome to the forum.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Re: Buying pre sorted pennies vs Nickles

Postby fasteddy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:37 pm

WeLcome VWBEAMER,

Corsair is right, every few months this same question comes up, you can can buy nics from the bank but where is the secondary market for them.

Pennies, there is a market for cents now, albeit small but it is there and growing, buy them now before they are over two cents apiece...and it is gettting closer by the day. Get some posts in and then place an add here in the forum..stay away from feebay, the forum members will take care of you. Being new you will most likely be asked to pay first from an established member, customary.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing