dump bank.. same bank, different branches

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

dump bank.. same bank, different branches

Postby involuntary tentacle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:41 am

i have found a small local community bank that is (so far) coin roll buying and dump friendly!
i am sure they love having my money being such a small operation.

i used to buy a penny box once a week from my regular bank, sort them, roll up the zincs and proceed to spend them on gas and groceries.
this is time consuming. now i can order what i want and dump them for free!

i now buy boxes from the new bank, and dump at their other branch.
i have to hand the coins over, but they have a super fast coin machine that went through about $40 of pennies in less than a minute (or so it seemed).
i want to get some money saved up so i can order a box of halves :)

does anyone see this as abuse of the bank? i have gone through 2 boxes of pennies, ordered a couple more, made one dump so far.
i have explained to the "dump branch" tellers that i collect coins and that i may be dropping off lots of coins... they said if thats what i do, they dont mind.

one thing i dont like is that so far, both penny boxes ive gotten from them have been clear rolls :(
most of the rolls are 2010s.. and the rolls that have any dark pennies i break open.
i have seen that they are serviced by garda... am i better off ordering boxes from my old bank?
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Re: dump bank.. same bank, different branches

Postby Joogaler » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:43 am

involuntary tentacle wrote:Does anyone see this as abuse of the bank?

That's a question I ask my self from time to time. Then I realize! Wait, I'm letting them hold my money, along with countless other people, and paying different fee's. IMHO Banks in reality serve no purpose than the ability to use a debit card, write checks, and get coins to sort. Now if I needed a loan, or had large quantities of money, then that would be a different story. But if I had large quantities of money it would be in gold/silver/copper etc. so I still wouldn't need a bank for that.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby STINGER » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:58 am

I would find out which one will order bags easier for you and sometimes cheaper for them makes them a little more willing. Find out which branch of this bank is the main and find out if they roll their own or not. Not sure about Garda but one of my banks has armored trucks that take all their coin to their main branch roll them and send them back to their own banks. The bank I use is more than happy to sell me the extra bags because it cost them to send them out they usually have 500 in bags for me every week 1000 around holidays. I make sure the banks I dump on are going to the fed and leaving my area. Beware if you get to extreme most banks have a weekly manager meeting and They will figure you out. But a couple boxes aven 4 a week probably won't start a concern.
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby old72 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:37 am

I had no problem getting one brick a day from the one bank in our town, there was a lady who complained about carrying the brick a couple yrs ago and would lie and say she didn't have any. I spoke with another lady who worked there and after that had no problem. I heard the manager told her that anyone who couldn't carry a brick didn't need to work there. I'm sure I could get more now but I'm down to a couple a week, most people here are worried about the snow on the roof bringing their house down I'm worried about the copper on the first floor.
old72

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:05 pm

I use several brances of the same bank to do a variety of coin transactions. They provide the services, you take advantage. All's fair in coin sorting, hehe.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:54 pm

I dont know if I have ever or will ever feel sorry for a bank. I may have sympathey on occasion for those that deal with us, but thats as far as it goes.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Snake42 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 pm

Why would you feel sorry? Cost of doing business for them. Besides they are making plenty of money.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing