what does your spouse think about pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

what does your spouse think about you sorting copper?

hates the idea
20%
likes the idea
31%
doesnt care either way
49%

Total votes : 59

what does your spouse think about pennies?

Postby bgretz1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:04 pm

alright so i know my wife hates that i sort copper pennies. they are never laying around or in her way ( for i am stuck in the garage) she just seems to think im stupid and wasting my time. so it is time to see if this a fairly common view or not.

i will add she does like when the profits line her pockets though......
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Re: what does your spouse think about pennies?

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:10 pm

my old lady sees the reason for sorting and hoarding

occasionally i can even get her to help with a half dozen rolls or so

the time it takes is what she hates

i have to do all my sorting when she is either away or asleep
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 pm

My wife has been cool with it from the beginning.I'm sure she would have never thought several years later I'd still be sorting them. She knows about the melt value and brings me home any wheats she finds in the till at the shop,even a few silver dimes too.She even dumps zincs at a bank near to where she works.
It could just be the fact it keeps me out of her hair too :)
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Verbane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:43 pm

My wife does pickups at my supply banks for me!! She won't sort cents, but she won't let me touch the halves anymore :D
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:45 pm

aloneibreak wrote:my old lady sees the reason for sorting and hoarding

occasionally i can even get her to help with a half dozen rolls or so

the time it takes is what she hates

i have to do all my sorting when she is either away or asleep

Hey man... wanna go on one of those wife swap reality shows? :lol: I could use her help for about a week or two! We may both make some extra cash for some silver out of the deal too!

Seriously, my wife's ok with me sorting. She occasionally brings me home rolls and she brings me home wrappers for rolling occasionally too (yeah... I know... don't roll them is the standard. But I'm not paying coinstar and the free count bank is where I get my pick ups from. All others around here have to be rolled coins. This will all change soon though.) Anyhow, the only thing she doesn't like is that I tend to leave small messes around for a day or so at my sorting station (AKA... the foot of my bed in front of the TV). She's OCD about being clean and I'm a hoarder! :lol: That does clash at times! Otherwise... she's cool with it... and she's used to it! Her dad WAAYYYY outnumbers me in pennies! Although I don't think he ever sorted, he's just been saving them since... well... God knows when! He's got a treasure chest the size of a nightstand FULL of coppers! Pretty cool. He's kinda an inspiration to me for all this anyhow... so I can always use that excuse to the wife if she ever gets on to me about it! :lol: She sees the value in it though...
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby STINGER » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm hoping that I get enough coppers saved that when I sell out I can buy a wife
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm

STINGER wrote:I'm hoping that I get enough coppers saved that when I sell out I can buy a wife

I got one.

Even weight trade 300lbs.

We pay for each other's shipping
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Thogey wrote:
STINGER wrote:I'm hoping that I get enough coppers saved that when I sell out I can buy a wife

I got one.

:lol:

Line the Box with soft material and cut airholes this time. No more DOA "wife in a box" shipments please.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Line the Box?

This will require a livestock crate and special freight charges.

It might not be a fair trade.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 pm

My wife not only absolutely HATES my sorting pennies she doesn't like me collecting coins at all. She make fun of my "playing with pennies" in front of our friends. If I show her a coin that is worth $50.00 dollars she says well if it is worth that much why don't you sell it. She has no concept of investing for the future having some metal that will be worth something when the crash happens. She continually tells me that when I "cash it in for good" (pun intended) she is going to take all my coins including all my Morgans, Peace dollars, Barbers, Walkers, Mercs, and dump them at the bank. I have told her that it would be kind of foolish to dump CC dollars and my 09"S and 14D pennies that are worth hundreds of dollars a piece for a dollar or a penny each, but she insists that is what she is going to do. I hope she is just kidding and that she will take them to my dealer or have a couple of coin auctions so that her and her new husband can have a good time.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Mrs Rodebaugh has been known to play the part of Mrs RollCracker from time to time.

Can't seem to get her to spend my clad halves :roll:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby tbram88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 pm

My wife reluctantly tolerates my sorting, but strongly dislikes my hoarding of pennies, guns, Morgans, Ammo, books, tools,Etc. We have a small house and not a lot of storage space.

She does appreciate the extra cash from selling pennies, but mostly it keeps me occupied and out of her hair in the winter when I'm laid off.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby Snake42 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 pm

NDFarmer wrote:My wife not only absolutely HATES my sorting pennies she doesn't like me collecting coins at all. She make fun of my "playing with pennies" in front of our friends. If I show her a coin that is worth $50.00 dollars she says well if it is worth that much why don't you sell it. She has no concept of investing for the future having some metal that will be worth something when the crash happens. She continually tells me that when I "cash it in for good" (pun intended) she is going to take all my coins including all my Morgans, Peace dollars, Barbers, Walkers, Mercs, and dump them at the bank. I have told her that it would be kind of foolish to dump CC dollars and my 09"S and 14D pennies that are worth hundreds of dollars a piece for a dollar or a penny each, but she insists that is what she is going to do. I hope she is just kidding and that she will take them to my dealer or have a couple of coin auctions so that her and her new husband can have a good time.

It makes me cringe to think that someone might actually do that. Then again it will make some bank workers day.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:58 pm

Mine roll searches halfs on her own and brings me the good ones she gets like a prize.... she helps me do the coppers as long as she gets to keep the wheats.....she cares not for the Ni.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Joogaler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:

I got one.

:lol:

Line the Box with soft material and cut airholes this time. No more DOA "wife in a box" shipments please.

Thogey wrote:Line the Box?

This will require a livestock crate and special freight charges.

It might not be a fair trade.

I'm still laughing about this one... :lol:

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby Joogaler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 am

Not married, but my girlfriend likes the idea. Especially since I don't have a job, and that's my only income. She actually used to help me sort with the sniper... She never really got the jist of it though...

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 am

My wife hates the idea of my spending so much time with pennies lately---she has felt that way about vintage baseball cards for the last eight years as well. :x
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby myspen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 am

Get a Ryedale, then you can really kick ass! :mrgreen:
myspen

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:17 am

As I have Aspergers Syndrome, my other half is very accepting of all my weird habits anyway. She doesn't bat an eyelid when I start on some madcap scheme to make stuff on the balcony; she just prefers that I am home so I would imagine it is a relief when I am happily sat looking through my coins! :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:17 am

I am happily unmarried!!!
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby GTOJohn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:30 am

my wife does not help with sorting. she will take a bag or two of zincs to the bank to deposit (run thru a counter in the lobby) at times. she is not against it, just does not understand it.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tommybee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:16 am

Seems like some of you don't know that there is a new option on Coinstar. You can select eCards to Lowe's, Amazon, etc. There is no fee if you do that. This is a very good option for someone who can't find a bank with a coin counter. I couldn't imagine rolling all those zincs. Brutal.

Plus, I'm going to be seriously pissed off if I get $10 worth of CWR at PNC and they turn out to be one of you guys' zinc dumps! :)
Tommybee

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am

PennyBoy wrote:I am happily unmarried!!!

STAY THAT WAY!!!!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby harley1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

my wife is as cool as they come. she likes the fact that between hoarding and making my homebrew that i am staying out of trouble. also when i tell her that my current $2800.00 stack will turn into a very nice profit down the road it even puts a smile on her face. ;)
harley1
Penny Pincher Member

Postby harley1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 am

NDFarmer wrote:
PennyBoy wrote:I am happily unmarried!!!

STAY THAT WAY!!!!!

ND farmer. i assume you made a bad choice???? i could not be happier being married
harley1
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing