what does your spouse think about pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

what does your spouse think about you sorting copper?

hates the idea
20%
likes the idea
31%
doesnt care either way
49%

Total votes : 59

Re: what does your spouse think about pennies?

Postby oktyabyr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 am

My wife absolutely hates the idea. She tells me I better not be still buying more coins. Of course, I do it anyways. Just makes it harder cuz I have to sort when she's not around. Still trying to convince her though.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 am

She just thinks I am bat sh*t crazy...and I like to keep it that way. She has seen the way on searching and stacking silver though. When I buy I always show her what I got and joke with her about her and the kids turning them in for face when I die.
Last edited by AGCoinHunter on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 am

harley1 wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:
PennyBoy wrote:I am happily unmarried!!!

STAY THAT WAY!!!!!

ND farmer. i assume you made a bad choice???? i could not be happier being married

Worst choice of my life. I always thought it would be nice to be married and have someone to share life with. Boy was I wrong. I didn't know how good I had it when I was single. Remember the old saying be careful what you wish for you might get it.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 pm

What does your spouse think about pennies? That was your original heading, then above the survey it was about sorting copper.

Mr. PTP does not mind that I search through pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters looking for the kids' birth years and now their wedding year.

I don't sort to keep copper, although I will keep a nice shiny example on occasion as I can't afford to tie up too much money right now; although, I do know and truly believe they will keep increasing in value. And I do like to pull out the wheats. Errors or varieties too when I find any. Have my nickel album of 1938 - 1964 that is all filled at face value except for one empty spot.

He doesn't help me sort, but he does drive to the banks to swap out the coins for me and carries them into the bank as well if it is more than just a few rolls that are too heavy for me to carry. He is just happy that I am finding hobbies that keep me occupied while stuck at home due to health issues.

I truly am sorry for all of you that your spouse doesn't care for this hobby. Mr. PTP and I will be married 32 years on St. Patrick's Day and we began dating in 1973. It isn't always a bed of roses and we do have our heated discussions, but married we still are.

Take Care, Everyone. :)
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Shags29 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:19 pm

My girlfriend doesn't mind the sorting as long as she doesn't have to help. Her 9 year old daughter has started sorting for herself. I help her and she helps me. She really was amazed when I bought the sniper. She does about $10.00 worth a week and I currently do $75.00 a week. Actually it has turned into a real bonding hobby for myself and her daughter. I'm glad to have found this site. Although we are itching to get the old fishing poles out.
Shags29

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Shags29 wrote: She really was amazed when I bought the sniper. .

Sniper? As in rifle? :?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:

I assume the newest Ryedale sorter called a sniper.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Joogaler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:

Lol no, sniper as in the Ryedale Sniper coin sorter.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Although my wife doesn't get involved herself, she does understand the economics of what I'm doing. Also she will sort through her change purse every few weeks for coppers and nickels.

The biggest impediment to my sorting is my 15 month old Bischon/Havenese puppy, who seems to delight in charging through my neat stacks of newly sorted coppers.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:36 pm

The spouse...had to cut her loose. Don't have time for negative energy.

Who's got a single sister...with a good job? (at a bank! :D )
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:53 pm

My wife has been great. She bought me a brand new Ryedale for Christmas with her own money from teaching. :) She already knew I was a bit "ecentric" and enjoyed metal detecting and scapping etc. and puts up with it.
thunter
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyBoy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:00 pm

NDFarmer wrote:

STAY THAT WAY!!!!!

That's the life long plan. Besides, my housecleaner is cheaper anyways and I've never once heard her nag.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyBoy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm

harley1 wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:

STAY THAT WAY!!!!!

ND farmer. i assume you made a bad choice???? i could not be happier being married

There's an exception to every rule, except death. Besides, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby tn-dave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:06 pm

My wife doesn't mind my sorting and I could probably even say she even encourages it. She saw what my happened to my 401k balance a few years ago. That was when I decided to start buying PMs and recently sorting rolls. I usually take a small amount each week out of my check only after the bills are covered.

The other day when I asked her to stop by the bank and bring home a few rolls she even said: "Give me those FRNs and I'll bring you home some real money"
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:20 pm

My wife "kind of" encourages me. I had put in a order for 8 boxes from the bank, they messed up the order and they came in yesterday. I am out of town on business and she made the pickup for me. She is also showing a interest is mining for silver so I may venture into a box of halfs.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:02 pm

NDFarmer wrote:My wife not only absolutely HATES my sorting pennies she doesn't like me collecting coins at all. She make fun of my "playing with pennies" in front of our friends. If I show her a coin that is worth $50.00 dollars she says well if it is worth that much why don't you sell it. She has no concept of investing for the future having some metal that will be worth something when the crash happens. She continually tells me that when I "cash it in for good" (pun intended) she is going to take all my coins including all my Morgans, Peace dollars, Barbers, Walkers, Mercs, and dump them at the bank. I have told her that it would be kind of foolish to dump CC dollars and my 09"S and 14D pennies that are worth hundreds of dollars a piece for a dollar or a penny each, but she insists that is what she is going to do. I hope she is just kidding and that she will take them to my dealer or have a couple of coin auctions so that her and her new husband can have a good time.

ND I hope you have kids and tell them when the time comes and you are gone that all the coins you have collected are theres and not the wife. Then sit down and explain to them the value. Don't put stuff down in your will!!
Copper Catcher

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm

This year will be 25 years I've been married. My wife is ok with me sorting and realizes the distraction and time alone makes me happy. She is also aware of the value of precious metals etc. Several years ago I took the time to write down lots of information in a notebook for her including reference sites, my log in name and password etc. If something happens to me she knows to let the board know.
Copper Catcher

Postby STINGER » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm

How many of you honestly care what she thinks? I've dated some girls that thought they had important opinions. I always ask them who the hell they think they are. Some of you older guy have never had to deal with anything close to what us younger guys do in this day and time. It only gets worse with the next generation. I will admit there some good finds out there but they are becoming comparible to Indian head pennies. If that's what your looking for it's much easier to just buy one
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:44 pm

STINGER wrote:How many of you honestly care what she thinks? I've dated some girls that thought they had important opinions. I always ask them who the hell they think they are. Some of you older guy have never had to deal with anything close to what us younger guys do in this day and time. It only gets worse with the next generation. I will admit there some good finds out there but they are becoming comparible to Indian head pennies. If that's what your looking for it's much easier to just buy one

dang it i found a zinc! :D no i love my wife to death she just hates hates the pennies and any silver found seems to disapear when shes around.
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm

I have a beautiful girlfriend, who enjoys the fact that I enjoy going to banks, bouncing pennies, and sorting thru nickels...

We just had a discussion about this, and in her previous life (pre me), she never thought about or used change except to give to her kids for the chores, so collecting and sorting and BUYING change is a whole new concept to her..

She works at a bank, but just like her past, the town she works in could care less about change, and her bank NEVER has any rolls...

I always ask her to bang a few pennies with me, but she always declines...oh well, I will keep asking, and keep banging, and enjoy sharing and showing her my finds, knowing that she truly loves the fact that I love to do it...

Everyone, good luck in your searches! Peace out!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 am

:shock: "Banging" means something quite different here in the UK...

:lol:
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:34 am

Devil Soundwave wrote::shock: "Banging" means something quite different here in the UK...

:lol:

It has that same common meaning in the US, so the context above is a bit unusual... :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:40 am

My wife hates everything about me collecting any coins. What ND Farmer said about his wife is my wife to the T.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby traderchowder » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Haha, depending on context 'banging' can mean different things. I knew what he meant. One track minds?

What about bangers and mash, I enjoy a plate of that from time to time (a rhetorical question not meant to derail the thread).

My wife understands the idea. When I explained think of it like "silver cost $5 an ounce in the 80s, today it costs $30 an ounce. And think about it like the price of silver didn't go up, it's that a dollar today buys less of it." - now that may not be completely accurate, but it's get the idea across. I think a light went off in her head giving her a gist of what I'm doing. She isn't interested in the details of any of this, but at least she understands what the heck I'm trying to do.
traderchowder

Postby Wheatie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:58 pm

My wife is very tolerant of my hand sorting and will even bring it up to friends or family in a proud but humorous sort of way. She does not sort with me, but she loves reading the entries on this site. Sometimes I will hear her giggle while at the computer and then say out loud, "These funny penny guys on your copper thingy site are very clever!" I know she reads the entries because we often chat about the different posts. I'm not sure if she really thinks about the long-term picture of this endeavor, but she trusts me. I often disappear into the basement to my penny sorting table, behind the boiler and shelves, and I think she respects my little get-away from our seven children and the bustle of our busy home.
Wheatie

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing