Clean (not cleaned) cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Clean (not cleaned) cents

Postby 68Camaro » Mon May 04, 2015 8:38 pm

I haven't posted in the penny forum for awhile - time to do one.

To repeat some history, when I started with RC ~5 years ago I was hand-sorting cents at very low levels, then cranked it up to boxes, then cranked it up again to a hand-fed machine, then when I found a bank that would supply without complaint, went to a Ryedale and then spent a couple of years in moderate-to-heavy self-sorting - keeping it all for myself - no sales except some wheats.

But (and I've noted this here in the distant past) as time went on I found myself more and more discriminating as to the quality of the cents I was keeping, until the last year+ after machine sorting for the copper I was manually hand-sorting the coppers before saving them, and pulling out not just the really disgusting dirty abes but anything at all that had any spec on it (I drew the line at accepting one tiny bit of non-corrosion on one side only). I marked those bags separately, and while I kept the dirty stuff for awhile I eventually just took them back to the bank and dumped them for face.

So fast forward two years. I need to consolidate a bit, so I'm going back through the prior 3 years (2010-2012) of sorting, manually culling the bags during the time when I had not been discriminating. In the process I'm finding a fair number of wheats and Cdn that I had missed during the first go-round, so there is a reward in it besides the cleaner coin. I'm finding that I'm getting rid of about 60% of the copper, keeping about 40%.

When done I will have only 40% of the prior hoard, but it will be premium quality stuff. Not cleaned, but clean. Numi-class coin hunting fodder for the 59-82 period. Makes it more worth keeping, for me.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Clean (not cleaned) cents

Postby highroller4321 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:34 am

Clean or dirty it will all melt the same...eventually. ;)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 am

If you need somewhere to send all that nasty stuff... I'll PM you my addy.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue May 05, 2015 12:58 pm

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. It's all elemental. Those high MS Morgan melt just like the ugly rosies.

If there is anything I hate its taking a 68 lb box to USPS.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby natsb88 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:11 pm

68Camaro wrote:If there is anything I hate its taking a 68 lb box to USPS.

Let them pick it up.
natsb88

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 05, 2015 1:16 pm

68Camaro wrote:Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. It's all elemental. Those high MS Morgan melt just like the ugly rosies.

Cooking MS morgans.......Blasphemy!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby everything » Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Yeah, me too. After hearing that the corrosion can spread, I'm picky. It's still .. such a joy finding 1959 or 1960 pennies that are red, actually, any of the older higher relief coppers and knowing they sat in someone's penny jar all these years. I separate the reds from the going average, although I know you can buy bags of copper pennies uncirculated they are not cheap.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:39 am

I've become a sort and sell kinda guy.
Props to 68 on his purest roots.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 90Percent » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:36 am

Is there a another way on a large scale to stop the spread of corrosion and get some of the crud off of them?
90Percent

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing