Determining a boxes copper content by weight

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Determining a boxes copper content by weight

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Hello gents,

I've seen some posts before on the idea of weighing boxes of coins to determine how much copper is in them. I currently don't own an accurate scale, so I can't perform this test myself....but does anyone know the combined weight of a box of zincs, complete with wrappers etc? By my estimation, if you know this weight, you can determine pretty much down to the cent how much copper is in a given box by taking the weight difference between the box with copper in it, subtracting the weight of a box full of wrapped zinc, and dividing the remainder by (<average copper cent weight> - <average zinc cent weight>).

Has anyone tried this?
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Re: Determining a boxes copper content by weight

Postby beauanderos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:22 pm

We talked about this on the old site
http://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11736
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Determining a boxes copper content by weight

Postby bman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:50 pm

I think a full box of zinc is around 14LBS and a full box of copper is more like 17LBS but it isn't an exact science. I've had rolls of 2010-P Shield cents that came from the same box that weighed almost a gram more/less then the next. I think it depends on how many wraps of paper are on each roll.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing