Advice on Copper Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Advice on Copper Pennies

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Hey everyone,

Lately I have been buying a LOT of copper pennies for various sources, including this forum. I wanted to give a few points of advice.

#1 I would advise against rolling your coin. You may think that rolling the coins gives you an easy way to tell the face value, and that is correct, but copper pennies trade per pound. I am sure there are some people out there who prefer them rolled, but if I am buying $1000 FV I don't want to have to break open 2k rolls so I can verify and resell them in bulk lots.

#2: Avoid containers that weigh more than 2500 pounds. On one of my most recent deals the seller had pallets of steel barrels with each pallet coming in at around 5,000lbs. These pallets where stored inside of a garage and not at an industrial location with forklift access. The lift gates on the semi trucks have a capacity if 2750lbs so they will not lift anything more than 2500lbs. The seller of the coins had to literally rent a forklift so get them onto the truck. This is an extra $200-300 charge that you don't need. If you have access to a loading dock and forklift then the 5,000lbs is not a big deal.

#3: If you are using plastic bags to store your copper pennies in, get the bags that don't have the sticky seal on the inside. I recommend using Coin Lok bags, but there are cheaper options out there. Nothing worse then cutting open the bags and have 100 coins stuck to the bag and having 10 out of the 100 be so junked up you don't want to put them with the rest of the copper.

I will update this periodically but that those are my 2 copper cents worth of opinions for now.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Advice on Copper Pennies

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tips.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slickeast » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:38 pm

So I shouldn't be rolling them and filling one of these
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Figured at some point you would be selling these by the pound- Even when they rolled I would weigh them out because who knows if the rolls are short or have zincs
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Send 'em loose
Attachments
749834.jpg
749834.jpg (127.06 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Happiness comes in 68 lb packages
Attachments
Preview.jpg
Preview.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:26 am

For me it all depends on what the buyer wants. I have sold more rolled ctu's than loose ones. I would rather sell them loose, but 90% of my stock are in rolled ctu's.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 90Percent » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:34 am

Great Tips.
90Percent

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing