Poll: Do you collect/plan on collecting copper kilo bars?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Do you collect/soon plan on collecting .999 copper kilo bars?

Yes... I have some now and may or may not get some more (and I'm not a dealer or advertised seller of them)
18%
Yes... but I'm a dealer in them
No votes
No.... and I don't plan on getting anytime soon
69%
Not right now... but I may get some this year
12%

Total votes : 49

Poll: Do you collect/plan on collecting copper kilo bars?

Postby Pennybug » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Just wondering... been having some good conversations with others about kilo copper bars on some other posts. My bro in law just bought some in fact. I personally don't collect them or plan on collecting them... but that could change too! But I'm curious now... what do the majority of others on this site think of these things? :) I'd love to hear comments on these bars as well...
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: Poll: Do you collect/plan on collecting copper kilo bar

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Why invest in a metal with a high premium and no monetary value as an absolute last resort when you can pick up as much copper as you want for 1/3rd melt value and always be assured to get at least what you paid for it?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Red King » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm

No, as long as I have to pay a premium. If I managed to land a few under spot, then I would certainly consider purchasing.

As long as I can load up at 33% spot price at anytime via cents, then bullion seems like a waste.
Red King
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Country » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 pm

I'll stick to hoarding COPPER pennies.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:12 pm

This. and if I could not get pennies, i would get Nickels. and if I could not get Nickels, I would go out looking for scrap.

The bars are nice, but not a good investment in light of other investments available.

Corsair wrote:Why invest in a metal with a high premium and no monetary value as an absolute last resort when you can pick up as much copper as you want for 1/3rd melt value and always be assured to get at least what you paid for it?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby styropyro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:31 pm

I'll also be sticking to copper pennies for a while. Even if you don't get them for face from the wild, you can still buy bags of copper pennies pretty cheap from the buying section of this forum. I may pick up a bar or two sometime for novelty purposes, but I probably won't ever be buying in bulk.
Building the hoard, 1/10 of an ounce at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/styropyro
styropyro
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tn-dave » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Before I started sorting pennies, I won an auction with a Kilo, Pound and 1/2 bars. The price I paid was pretty close to or a little under today's spot price. Like styropyro said I might pick up another bar or two in the future but will not ever buy any in bulk quantities.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby tbram88 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:03 pm

I have 3 bars they are pounds not kilo's I got them for novelty reasons. they will never be worth the $8.00 I paid for them.

I also have been dabbling in rounds cuz there kinda cool, and if I can get the right deal I can flip them for a quick buck.

Bob
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:00 pm

At $20.00 for 2.2 pounds, I think not.

Though I wouldn't rule out maybe buying one as an interesting paperweight.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Corsair wrote:Why invest in a metal with a high premium and no monetary value as an absolute last resort when you can pick up as much copper as you want for 1/3rd melt value and always be assured to get at least what you paid for it?

I agree. When kilo bars start selling for 10% over spot then I will give up on pennies and buy the bars.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hejira11 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 am

I buy 1 pound bars every now and then. Long term investment/speculation. Plus they look cool to give as gifts. :D
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby myspen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm with "Country" I'll stick to pennies.
myspen

Postby Finder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 pm

No, from what I can tell they will never be able to be resold for even the price paid.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Shattered » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:40 pm

I do collect copper bullion. I own 1 kilo bar and several smaller sizes. I didn't buy them as an investment(though they could be), I just bought them for fun and will probably buy more when I feel like it. I never plan on stacking kilo bars as a store of wealth. I collect them for fun, I don't invest in them for profit.
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 pm

I own one, but I'm still waiting for my return on investment from my massive Beenie Baby buy years ago before I buy more :) They are merely a collectable in my opinion and who knows what price the market will command for them in the future........Just like any other Investment!!!!!!!!! That Carson city morgan dollar only has 23-24 dollars in silver in it no way I'm paying more than that for a nice BU specimen, come on........
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing