Cleaning Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Cleaning Pennies

Postby Drill Baby Drill » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey quick question? Do any of you guys/ gals clean your pennies after sorting? As you all know after sorting thru a box or two your hands are filthy. Do you all think there is any benefit to cleaning them pretty coppers up a bit? Just wondering if so what do you guys use?
Drill Baby Drill

Re: Cleaning Pennies

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 pm

I couldn't afford that much cleaning solution.

I clean mine using the natural method.. running them through my hands.

No benefit.. added cost.. and potiential decline in marketability for any chemical cleaning. Coin collectors and hoarders generally prefer their coins uncleaned. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:38 pm

I have a tumbler and have been thinking about tumbling my coppers.. maybe I would find a market for the shiny stuff.. ;)
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 pm

I think you may find a market for these....it just will likely be of lessor value than the non-cleaned variety. Do not clean coins, is almost a rule.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cunick » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I don't try to clean the pennies, but if I see one in the copper pile which appears to be in good condition particularly shiny, I set it aside, thinking that someday I may try to fill a couple of books for grandsons. It is always a surprise how good the condition is for some of the coins dating back to the fifties.
cunick

Postby Pennybug » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Diggin4copper... I've been thinking of doing the same thing. My pops has a high end tumbler for cleaning brass :shock: and I was considering doing just this with it. Do me a favor (and I'll reciprocate)... take a before and after picture of a tumbled penny and post it on this thread. I'll do the same thing (although it may be a few weeks before I can get his tumbler).

Copperbytheton is right though... it could be detrimental to the value of your copper. I'm going to try it with my stash of separate copper 82's. I figure they probably have the lowest value of all copper pennies (because of the lack of trust in their purity... which is why I separate them out) :) I'd like to have a few rolls of SHINY solid copper pennies. I'd like to get them as close to new looking as possible, so it may take several attempts before I get there.

Keep us posted drill... include some pics and results too if you don't mind. :D I'll do the same when I get there. I seem to recall that either tarn-x or brass-o can be used to polish/clean copper.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:30 pm

I wouldn't recommend cleaning dirty coppers you obtain from sorting. I do find alot of cents when I coin shoot and I do run most of those thru a little Chicago 3 lb tumbler. When they're done drying, I throw the tumbled copper back into my dirty abes and the zincolns go into a bank dump. But the dirty abes from handsorting I keep separate figuring they will be fit to sell to a scrapper someday when the melt ban is lifted. I think it would be a waste of a guys time and resources to clean them when they will just end up as scrap copper someday.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:41 pm

DirtyFingers wrote:I wouldn't recommend cleaning dirty coppers you obtain from sorting. I do find alot of cents when I coin shoot and I do run most of those thru a little Chicago 3 lb tumbler. When they're done drying, I throw the tumbled copper back into my dirty abes and the zincolns go into a bank dump. But the dirty abes from handsorting I keep separate figuring they will be fit to sell to a scrapper someday when the melt ban is lifted. I think it would be a waste of a guys time and resources to clean them when they will just end up as scrap copper someday.

DF

Plus if you guys clean your copper, DirtyFingers would have to change his name to CleanFingers, that just isnt right Image
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tinhorn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I've thought about cleaning them BEFORE running them through the comparitors. I know they left a dirty film on the Hot Wheels track I use for a feed ramp--I can feel it. I figure it's doing the same to the inside of the comparitors.

I'm not a numi, but it's my understanding that cleaning in such a way that destroys the patina of that one-in-a-gadzillion collectible is what we want to avoid. Can't imagine removing dirt and body slime would ruin an old coin.

I was going to attach a few shelf brackets to the inside of a 5-gallon bucket and wash them with detergent, but I'll wait to hear how your experiments turn out. (I got a small batch of old coppers pretty bright by sloshing them around in white vinegar with a little salt added.)
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm

TXBullion wrote:
DirtyFingers wrote:I wouldn't recommend cleaning dirty coppers you obtain from sorting. I do find alot of cents when I coin shoot and I do run most of those thru a little Chicago 3 lb tumbler. When they're done drying, I throw the tumbled copper back into my dirty abes and the zincolns go into a bank dump. But the dirty abes from handsorting I keep separate figuring they will be fit to sell to a scrapper someday when the melt ban is lifted. I think it would be a waste of a guys time and resources to clean them when they will just end up as scrap copper someday.

DF

Plus if you guys clean your copper, DirtyFingers would have to change his name to CleanFingers, that just isnt right Image

By now I could have purchased a Ryedale or two after what I've spent over the years on handsoap. ;) Most handsorters could probably identify with that.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 pm

I wanna see pics of this Hot Wheels track feeding ramp. I used to use the track in my penny sorting 40 years ago.

Have you ever gotten some ugly abes that look really bad? Those ones we often call "pond pennies" are what often happens when the coins get a little damp and aren't dried properly. Do you still want to wash those pennies in a bucket? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:00 pm

They do make gloves DF.. but that would take away from the full penny experience. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Ill set up the tumbler tomorrow and take some before and after pics.. Then I will sell them on Ebay and we will see if they sell better or worse.....Diggin
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 pm

tinhorn wrote:Here's how the pros do it: http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-12-27/n ... a-machines

That is a great story ;) If I get to downtown SF I will buy some rolls of coin just to have 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:27 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I wanna see pics of this Hot Wheels track feeding ramp. I used to use the track in my penny sorting 40 years ago.

Have you ever gotten some ugly abes that look really bad? Those ones we often call "pond pennies" are what often happens when the coins get a little damp and aren't dried properly. Do you still want to wash those pennies in a bucket? :mrgreen:

I thought you'd never ask. The second pic is the tube leading from the first sorter (zinc) to the second sorter (copper). It's a Wii toy I found at Dollar Tree.

I've seen some pretty ugly coins, and I read about something called verdigris. I presume the coins will have to be dried pretty well--I'm thinking hardware cloth and a fan.
Attachments
DSC02759.JPG
DSC02759.JPG (93.95 KiB) Viewed 894 times
DSC02760.JPG
DSC02760.JPG (61.84 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Red King » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:28 am

I used to clean mine when I first started (using the vinegar and salt bath method), but quickly discovered the futility and waste in that.
Also, I noticed that after rinsing and drying them after the vinegar, they looked much cleaner, but took on a very pink - colored hue. Just didn't look right.
In addition, once cleaned, they seemed to pick up the dirt from other coins much more readily, and some developed verdegris (so I had to clean those again, lest the verdegris spread like a plague through my hoard).
Red King
Penny Sorter Member

Postby didou » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:46 am

I will only clean if i'm ready to melt them and the scrap yards/refinery ask me to do it to remove impurity.
Otherwise i keep them unclean, who know they may even get a collector premium by the time i will be ready to sell/melt them.
And you may never have to melt them, just sell them to another investor who will sell them to another investor, ...
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 pm

I ran 5 lbs of pennies thru my tumbler today.. definitly cleaner, I ran them for 1/2 hr.. If I leave them for a couple hrs they may shine enought to make a difference in a photo. Here they are after 1/2 hr...
Attachments
cleanp.jpg
cleanp.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Nice! The patina remains--so are they clean to the touch? What kind of medium did you use?
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverhedgehog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:03 pm

When I sort them I have an ugly bin for damaged copper coins and the ones badly stained by oxidation. When its full I give them a bath in CLR for a minute, rinse and let them dry over night. I roll them up and label them ugly/cleaned. It ends up to be about one or two rolls per brick lately. They'll be first in line to melt when the day comes.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Very clean to the touch.. I use aquarium gravel and dish soap. The longer you tumble them the shinier they get...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby palmvtree » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:33 pm

My son and I cleaned up a few coins using a recipe my grandmother uses for everything...baking soda and a few drops of water (until it is a paste). It is most likely semi-abrasive to the coin, but they come out shining like a brand new 2010. Fun just to even try on one spare copper. We had a very nice looking wheat cent that we cleaned up once and it ended up in the album after a few seconds of cleaning, still shining and no after effect. Try it and post back. I will try to remember to post a before and after picture the next time we clean one.
palmvtree

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing