Newbie sorter in tx

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Newbie sorter in tx

Postby sparechange » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:34 am

Howdy, I've been sorting since last Oct. and lurking about the same amount of time. I have thouroughly enjoyed the collective humor and knowledge this forum provides. My % has run about 18% since beginning, and I actually found an IHC three rolls into my first string box back in Oct. Needless to say the copper got into my blood and the fever is quite strong. Started collecting coins in the 1960s, but quit due to other items on my life's agenda. I had forgotten what I had missed and I am glad to be back. Thanks for the reads and happy hoarding!
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Newbie sorter in tx

Postby andrewjackson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:05 am

8-). Welcome aboard!
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 am

Welcome to the boards as well.

"a copper penny saved is three cents earned" :D
"IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO WIN THE GAME I WOULD PICK MICHAEL JORDEN...IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO SAVE MY LIFE I WOULD PICK LARRY BIRD"--Pat Riley, Laker Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:36 pm

You always get something good right off the bat, its what sucks you in. For me it was on 09 VDB in the first box
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Welcome.what year IH did you find ?
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:11 pm

What part of Tx.... I live in FL but are from the Hou area.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Welcome to the insanity sparechange. Be sure to post over in the Indian Head tracking section so you can join that elite group rather than that other group of non-believers let by one of your fellow statesmen.. who used to go by the handle TexasCattleRancher, but changed his name to TenBears in the hope of someday finding an Indian in the wild. Perhaps he just hasn't been doing the feathered dance properly. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Welcome to the insanity sparechange. Be sure to post over in the Indian Head tracking section so you can join that elite group rather than that other group of non-believers let by one of your fellow statesmen.. who used to go by the handle TexasCattleRancher, but changed his name to TenBears in the hope of someday finding an Indian in the wild. Perhaps he just hasn't been doing the feathered dance properly. :mrgreen:

How can we be certain our fellow new Texan was not coated in dri slide with feathers? :lol:
TXBullion

Postby sparechange » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:21 pm

The IHC was 1905 and in VG/Fine shape(will post for elite status). I live in Aggieland by birth. Sorry, no dri slide/feathers, and I know a guy we call TenBeers.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Umm, about an hour away.....Great to see another convert, welcome!!!
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Finder » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Welcome!

Im getting 18-22% up here in Fort Worth.
Found a 1926 wheat last night, too bad it was a P.
It was a good box though, maybe 22% -24%.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Is Texas big enough for another hunter/sorter/dumper? :D
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby twentybux » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Welcome to the addiction. Sounds like you fought off this disease sometime ago but have again fallen off the wagon. :D Let me just begin by saying hi, my name is Twentybux and I'm a bank metal addict. :lol: Best of luck in your mining endeavors!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXTim » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Howdy Pard!
Save some for me to sort!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 am

TXBullion wrote:You always get something good right off the bat, its what sucks you in. For me it was on 09 VDB in the first box

Now I feel cheated...I didn't find anything good in my first box. Or last box, for that matter
:?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:16 am

Hi all,
I am also a noob in the Great State of Texas. I am in the San antonio area. I just joined yesterday after reading posts off and on for a month.

I had been saving all my change for about 3 years. After finding this website, I sorted all my pennies and had about 16% pre-1982s. Now I am using all my change to buy stuff. The people at the gas station aren't too happy about being handed rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels...

So I get that a pre-1982 penny is worth 3 cents, but who is going to buy it from me after I go to the trouble of sorting it out of the zincolns? Are the pre-1982s on eBay really selling at say $24.95 per $10 face?

Do most of you intend to hoard the pennies until everyone else in the country (world?) recognizes that our fiat paper money is worthless? I can do that too, instead of selling.

Finally, if anyone else is sorting in the San Antonio area, where do you go to get rid of your sorted pennies?

Signed,
shinnosuke...another noob with lots of questions
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 am

AHHH, we're being overrun.... Welcome, read and then read some more. Sometimes I feel like we're all beating on the same ole dead cat :) There's a great wealth of knowledge here so please stick around and it will absorb..........
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks, Scotty, for the kind words of welcome. Now would you beam me up some all pre-1982 rolls?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby LubbockCents » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 am

I live in Aggieland by birth

Well, all I can say is Im sorry to hear that. From Red Raider land.Nice to see another Texan though.
LubbockCents

Postby harley1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:27 am

welcome aboard
harley1
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:12 am

shinnosuke wrote:Hi all,
I am also a noob in the Great State of Texas. I am in the San antonio area. I just joined yesterday after reading posts off and on for a month.

I had been saving all my change for about 3 years. After finding this website, I sorted all my pennies and had about 16% pre-1982s. Now I am using all my change to buy stuff. The people at the gas station aren't too happy about being handed rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels...

So I get that a pre-1982 penny is worth 3 cents, but who is going to buy it from me after I go to the trouble of sorting it out of the zincolns? Are the pre-1982s on eBay really selling at say $24.95 per $10 face?

Do most of you intend to hoard the pennies until everyone else in the country (world?) recognizes that our fiat paper money is worthless? I can do that too, instead of selling.

Finally, if anyone else is sorting in the San Antonio area, where do you go to get rid of your sorted pennies?

Signed,
shinnosuke...another noob with lots of questions

I think you are the chosen one. A new member who is an Administrator?! All hail shinnosuke!
TXBullion

Postby sparechange » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 am

[quote="shinnosuke"]Finally, if anyone else is sorting in the San Antonio area, where do you go to get rid of your sorted pennies?

Call around to banks/credit unions in your area and see if they have coin counters in the lobby for customer use, find out if there is a charge, join bank IF NECESSARY to avoid charge, and start dumping. Joined a bank for free, and dumps are free. I've used SSFCU, main center to dump before as I have relatives in the SA area.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 pm

TXBullion An Administrator? Moi? It is not possible, methinks.

I will try SSFCU, sparechange.

Thanks to all.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Something went wrong in the backend that changed new members names to green. I've corrected it.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Welcome to both new members hailing from Texas! :D

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
What's this mention about various ones being Admins?????? Some sort of computer glitch? I must have missed seeing it.

Edited to say that JadeDragon was posting the answer to my above question while I was typing my post.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing