What's your goal? And when are you selling?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What's your goal? And when are you selling?

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 pm

My goal is to get a ton, I have about 500 hundred pounds now. I'm going to get $300 faces tomorrow at a good price, so I should be around 700 lbs end of next week.

When I get a ton, I'm going to stop buying unless it's just a great deal, and just sort.

I'm not sure when i will sell, hopefully it will help me take a good chunk out of my mortgage. I have everything else paid for.

If the ebay prices keep going up, I might start selling what I have over the 1 ton mark right away. Seems more and more ebay auctions are going for 1.8-2.0 times face.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: What's your goal? And when are you selling?

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:13 pm

I have no set goal for copper thats kind of asking some one in 1964 whats your goal on silver "a ton" now that would be nice I say buy/sort what you can afford.........I would be willing to bet when u get that ton you will up your goal to 2 tons
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:06 pm

My goal is to get $1500 face in pennies rolled and boxed in $25 boxes by the end of this year! That corrisponds to one order of boxes and wrappers from a bank supply store (if that's how I get them). I've only been sorting since about early December and I'm up to around $200 or so now... So I should make this goal with no problems. I know that's not the most preferred way of storing... but it's the route I've chosen. I think it would be sweet to have several bricks of coppers like that! As for selling... only when necessary.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:10 pm

jasmatk wrote:I have no set goal for copper thats kind of asking some one in 1964 whats your goal on silver "a ton" now that would be nice I say buy/sort what you can afford.........I would be willing to bet when u get that ton you will up your goal to 2 tons

;)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Pennybug wrote:My goal is to get $1500 face in pennies rolled and boxed in $25 boxes by the end of this year! That corrisponds to one order of boxes and wrappers from a bank supply store (if that's how I get them). I've only been sorting since about early December and I'm up to around $200 or so now... So I should make this goal with no problems. I know that's not the most preferred way of storing... but it's the route I've chosen. I think it would be sweet to have several bricks of coppers like that! As for selling... only when necessary.

I roll 'em too. And, then I box them in bricks. I get my wrappers from a bank supply store (quantity order saves you money). :D
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Country wrote:
jasmatk wrote:I have no set goal for copper thats kind of asking some one in 1964 whats your goal on silver "a ton" now that would be nice I say buy/sort what you can afford.........I would be willing to bet when u get that ton you will up your goal to 2 tons

;)

There never is a goal. The more you have the more you want.

I've never sold any COPPER. I look at my hoard as kind of old-age insurance.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Cant you guys just get your wrappers free from your bank(s)? I ask for 50 or so at just about every bank I walk into. :o

Nick
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Country wrote:
Country wrote:

;)

There never is a goal. The more you have the more you want.

I've never sold any COPPER. I look at my hoard as kind of old-age insurance.

that was my point exactlly you never get enough. copper is a drug and im hooked. :shock: . old age insurance I like that by the time I retire copper pennies will be my nest egg i cant depend on ss that will be a long forgoten dream by the time I retire (im 27)
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:32 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:Cant you guys just get your wrappers free from your bank(s)? I ask for 50 or so at just about every bank I walk into. :o

Nick

50 wrappers?

Buy a box of 1000 wrappers for about $3 and expand your hoarding... :mrgreen:
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:33 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:Cant you guys just get your wrappers free from your bank(s)? I ask for 50 or so at just about every bank I walk into. :o

Nick

You can unless you need thousands of wrappers as some sorters do :D
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:30 pm

My goal for this year was to start speaking of my hoard in multiples of tons, not fractions of tons. I'm working my way there.

And to be honest, if you can afford it, there's no good reason to stop sorting. If, for example, you meet your goal of $1000, then add another $50...and then another $100...
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Finder » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Working on a 200lb jug now, its a little over half full.

Ill decide how much more once its filled.

I probably wont sell until I can get 2.5-3 times face at least, with patience I think that is likely.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby styropyro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 pm

My original goal was to fill a 5 gallon bucket, and now that I've accomplished that my new goal is a ton. I may start buying presorted cents now along with my hand sorting to approach that goal quicker.
Building the hoard, 1/10 of an ounce at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/styropyro
styropyro
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:40 pm

I have 350 dollars face in 25 dollar boxes and have no intention to stop or sell.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 pm

i have no set goal here i will go on until my averages drop to where its not worth it anymore. but i do sell when i want to buy a new toy ;)
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby maoguinn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I don't have a goal and i don't plan on selling until i retire. I am a small-time hand sorter and only have $45 face in copper pennies. I will just keep saving pocket change and buying boxes every so often. I am only 37, so it will be awhile before i retire.
maoguinn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Country wrote:

Nick

50 wrappers?

Buy a box of 1000 wrappers for about $3 and expand your hoarding... :mrgreen:

But most days I walk into more than 20 banks. :lol:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 pm

a ton is an attainable goal - even for a handsorter

my sorting has taken a steep nosedive, but i'll never stop

i let go of a bunch at 2 cents each even after fees a few years ago, before the market got so crowded

now i'd pbly hold out for a bit more...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Goals should be defined because to some of us this is a hobby that pays for itself. If I get low on disposable hobby funds, then I'll just let some go. I do not have a specific amount that I can sell at. Even at 1.4 plus shipping, thats a 40% return. Anybody want to post what their bank's rate is on their savings accounts? Doubt if it's 40%! :D

For me this is a cheap hobby that has an upside. I buy and sell all the time. I have 3 auctions going on right now. I'll let the market set the prices. Rigt now, it's a little bit about cashflow vs. hoarding. There are BILLIONS of cents out there. Ain't going to kill the market with a couple of cashflow transactions going on.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverhedgehog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:50 pm

My goal is to sort and roll a dollar in coppers a day as long as good copper percentages exist. As far as selling goes, I'll leave that to my kids when I am gone. The rolls are labeled and they know the value of the coins.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:18 pm

I somtimes imagine rolling in coppers like Scrooge Mcduck. I'll make that my goal :) Selling? Humm maybe in 40 years for me who knows..........
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby andrewjackson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 am

8-) . I have set short and long term goals. But as I achieve the short term ones. I just move forward towards the motherlode :D. But like many others on this forum once I get there i will probably just keep on collecting as it is a great low risk enterprise to hedge against hyperinflation, and possible collapse of the dollar. I agree it would. Be great to get to the point where the collection could be used to pay off a sizeable chunk of the mortgage!
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 am

That would be one good thing about inflation, I could pay my mortgage off, but inflation is going to be cruel to those holding all there assets in cash.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing