PCGS member refuses to send coin to be graded

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

PCGS member refuses to send coin to be graded

Postby STINGER » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:41 pm

As most of you know I was lucky enough to find a 22 no D. Found a PCGS member about 60 miles away I call him and tell him what I have ask him about having it graded. He tells me no problem bring it in cost around $50 and will take 3-4 weeks to return. Sounds good to me. This morning I had to travel to that town on business so I take my penny with me. Find the shop a guy and lady there and a few others pawning their silver. Other customers are waiting on the guy making deals so lady asks me if she can help I told her I'm wanting to see what this is worth handed her the penny figured I'd need to wait my turn for the guy making deals. She tells me just a wheat worth nothing really I tell her I think she might be surprised. After watching the thug looking people in front of me give away their pm's for a little paper ( makes me wanna hangout in that parking lot for a couple weeks for the prices they were getn) I'm finally next he takes the coin and looks it over real close for a long while and finally asks me has anyone else seen this I tell him yes he then ask what kinda offers. I then tell him I'm not interested in selling it and just really want to have it graded. He then tells me well it's probably not worth much if anything. Then tells me he won't send it off. WTF I asked him if he remembered talking to me on the phone he says yes then tells me well I've had coins come back and people claim it's not the same coin so I'm just not going to do it. I just talked to this guy a week ago. I then tell him I know pretty close what it's worth and I'm not here like the others before me to pawn off my grandpas stash for a buck. He then admits that if I list it on eBay or something it should bring a least $6-700. This guy tried to pull one on me and then after telling him I did not want to sell he refuses to have it graded. If I had made that trip just for that I think I would have been extremely mad.
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Re: PCGS member refuses to send coin to be graded

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Sounds like that guy is a low balling clown. I kinda doubt he is even a PCGS member.

I am not sure what coin shows PCGS attends but you may be able to find one clsoe to you and just go to that. Otherwise I would call around and find a reputable coin dealer. Otherwise find a member here or if you don't mind mailing it I can give you several contacts.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:25 pm

That is a bunch of crud...i think if you had answer no to the question "has anyone else seen this?" they may have done the infamous switch-a-roo on you. Time to move on.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:53 pm

That stinks.

Awesome find...we'll all want to hear how it grades (eventually)

8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 pm

I use to be a PCGS member but you got to send it 5 coin minimum and it is expensive!

Why not just send it off yourself to ANACS? It would be worth it to see if it comes back as real. I'm in the process of mailing off some coins soon to them myself. I know they are not PCGS or NGC but at least you know they are are not going to screw ya!

http://www.anacs.com/Default.aspx?AspxA ... eSupport=1
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I would like to know the dealers name.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Finder » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 am

I hate pawn shops. crooks. good luck, looking forward to the results.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 pm

As stated above, find a large coin show near you or a few hours drive away. You can call the person in charge ahead of time to find out what grading companies will be present so you won't need to waste your time if they are not there. Get there at opening time of show and NOT on the last day of show as many booths are empty on final show day.

At the ones I have attended many times they look at the coin right there and will tell you if it is worth sending off to have it graded.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress in getting it graded and what it finally comes back graded.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby STINGER » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:01 pm

[quote]I hate pawn shops. crooks. good luck, looking forward to the results.[/quote

I was an actual coin shop only coins and PMs. He knew it was worth sending off he just wouldn't because he wanted me to sell it to him.
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Snake42 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Some people are unbelievable man.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm

My buddy is a PCGS member who I trust and he used to be my boss. Maybe someone else on RealCent is a member that you can trust.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby newton7 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Who and where is this shop? I often wonder about some of the answers I have gotten in the past about coins.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby STINGER » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm

He is the only member I found on the PCGS website located in Springfield Missouri
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I know a PCGS dealer. Standards for being one and maintaining this are extremely high. All it would take is a call to PCGS and ask if this person is one of their approved dealers in good standing. This guy sounds like a goof. Plenty of legitimate PCGS or NGC dealers who'd submit the coin for you.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing