I'm Weakening in My Position of Saving Copper Cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I'm Weakening in My Position of Saving Copper Cents

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:47 pm

C'mon! Someone talk me off the ledge or give me a nudge. Until this commodity malaise, I've been steadfast in saving every copper cent that crossed my path or was dropped in my hand. I even went out of my way to have friends save pre-1982 examples for me.

Part of it is the storage factor. Don't really know where to stash more bags. I can envision my wife gnawing away at the thought of the bags o' cents OR me being shown the door before Winter.

I've done a couple of test runs by spending 5-10 discolored or damaged coppers at a time. It's not easy, Man! I didn't break a sweat or have nightmares so more of my "uglies" will soon find themselves back into commerce. Any other bad habit I start to take its place will, without question, cost more. Hey! Maybe I can use than angle with my wife. I knew I could rationalize this!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I'm Weakening in My Position of Saving Copper Cents

Postby silverflake » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 pm

Put down the pennies and step away from the edge. Lets talk about this now.

Seriously, copper pennies are tangible, hold in your hands assets. FRNs are not. Though commodities are down as measured by ever inflating dollars, they will never go to zero. FRNs will.

Don't do it. Call a buddy.

Deep breaths.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:39 pm

bulk sale those uglies on ebay (factor in 20% for fees, at least as an opening bid), condense the hoard, use profits to buy some shiny metals (better coppers (wheats etc), silver or gold) don't just donate coppers to others.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:28 pm

I know it is an older post, and I have been thinking of late about, "hoard of coins found in," England or Guernsey or Brittaney.

They are frequently Roman amphorae filled with several thousand copper coins. They most likely took the gold and silver, but the copper wasn't worth coming back for.

Wondering if cacheing them wouldn't be a good idea.

I don't want to give them up after all the work put in, and don't want to cash them in, and they are not moving.

I just still really enjoy the stress reduction of hand sorting and, "taking small steps to financial independence."
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing