CA supermarkets don't take coins for payment???

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: CA supermarkets don't take coins for payment???

Postby TXBullion » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 pm

JadeDragon wrote:The Pres dollars are the same size and color as Loonies. I've never heard anyone in Canada suggest there might be a speck of gold in the Loonie coin. Makes you wonder about some Americans.

Hi my name is earth have we met lol
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

jasmatk wrote:or better yet just go in there and dump a big pile of loose change on the counter and say count that

Anyone does that ahead of me better make sure their health insurance is paid up cause I will be giving them lip and cause major hearing damage.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:59 pm

We got some nice responses here. Sounds like I'm not the only one then, so I feel a little better at least. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 pm

I have a quick addition to this story.

I often like to bug the employees at the local USPS, mostly because it's just so much fun, but partially because they are always so rude to me. Usually I pay with $5 bags of dimes, counted twice. They scowl at me each time.

Well, last week, I needed to buy a $720 International Money Order. Luckily, a few weeks back, I had bought $1000 in Native American dollars from the US Mint Website. They sell them for face with free shipping. So, I had three boxes of $250, minus a roll, tucked behind me while I was talking to the man at the counter. He told me my total, I reached behind me and grabbed the boxes, set them on the counter and said, "These are 725 dollar coins." He looked down at them, and looked at me. If anyone was ever scowling, he was scowling. He said, "Are you serious?" I said, "I am 100% serious." He said, "Do we look like a bank to you?" I said, "Well, aren't you guys a sponsor of the US Dollar Coin program or something like that?" He sighed, huge and hard and loud, and tore off a piece of paper. "Here," he said, "Write your address and phone number so I can get a hold of you if these are short, because I am not counting them right now." I did that, and for the rest of the transaction, he did not speak one word to me.

That was the highlight of my week.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby traderchowder » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:01 pm

I've exchanged rolls of coins at coffee shop near where I work without even buying anything. Just thought what the heck I'll ask while walking to the bank one day.

"I have also been in the coin shop when an older person came in with a new Presidential Dollar and they wanted to sell it for the gold content. It took forever for him to explain to them that they really didn't contain any gold at all. It took forever for him to explain to them that they really didn't contain any gold at all."

It would be amusing to be a fly on the wall of a coin shop. Just the brief time I've spent inside them this last year I feel like I've heard people ask the employees some great questions. Some of my favorites.

Customer: "Where should I hide this silver I just bought"
Clerk: "I don't know man under your bed! Some place where people can't find them."
Customer: "Oh yeah I guess so"

Customer: "You don't give discounts for bulk eh?"
Clerk: "Normally not until you buy 500 ounces or more"
The guy was buying 5 ounces of silver and a gram or so gold bar.
I think possibly a first time precious metals buyer, to him
that probably was bulk.

I'm not claiming to be a master of coin shop etiquette myself, but some of this stuff you hear is kind of funny. I imagine it would take someone with a good deal of patience to operate one of those stores. When I hear stories of coin store clerks being grumpy I think I understand why.
traderchowder

Postby didou » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm

traderchowder wrote:...
I'm not claiming to be a master of coin shop etiquette myself, but some of this stuff you hear is kind of funny. I imagine it would take someone with a good deal of patience to operate one of those stores. When I hear stories of coin store clerks being grumpy I think I understand why.

I think it can apply to any job working with the public. But coin shop secret camera t.v. show could be a big hit ;)
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:58 pm

Corsair, that was an awesome story. :) I burst out laughing yet again. Keep 'em coming, folks!
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing