Recent Pennies with minor spotting

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Recent Pennies with minor spotting

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 pm

This hasn't been covered directly, so I thought I would ask. For the 2009 and 2010 Pennies that one pulls while searching in rolls (CWR or box, doesn't matter). I collect them, ONLY if they have very minor spotting and that I have checked with a 10x magnifying glass. They are brilliant in appearance and must have no flaws at all with either side, no dirt AND the rims are clean. If it's less than brilliant or there are ANY marks, then it gets tossed immediately.

So my question is...for very minor spotting (seems to be on practically every single 2009,2010 coin), would you consider this a BU coin? I assume the answer is yes, since the minor spotting is on everything (I have yet to see one that doesn't have it). Second question: what grade would you give it? My personal opinion is MS62-MS64, and ONLY because of the minor spots/black dots etc. Therefore, it's BU, since it's over MS60 and brilliant in appearance.

Perhaps I am harsh in my opinion or not harsh enough. Please tell me what you guys think. Thanks!
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Recent Pennies with minor spotting

Postby Morsecode » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:11 pm

I think that's a fair assessment. I've been trying to assemble a roll of select 2010's, and it ain't easy.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyBoy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Morsecode wrote:I think that's a fair assessment. I've been trying to assemble a roll of select 2010's, and it ain't easy.

Excuse the naivete, by select do you mean from certain mints?

On another note, in a box of pennies that I recently bought, I rec'd 13 rolls of unc 2010's. I only opened two rolls, just to make sure they were in fact unc, but most the pennies had a nic on the edge of them. Is this normal?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Is there a certain type of wrapper that lets you know they are uncirculated? Thanks,
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm

MOST of the 2009 and 2010 pennies have "spotting" on them. The mint is obviously trying to cut costs and in the end the coins suffered in appearance.

Yes, they are still mint and UNC coins. No, the coins with the spotting won't grade super high (67+)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby appjoe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:04 pm

I understand the black marks are mint wash.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks for the update, guys. Highroller, that's what I figured on grading and that the higher grading will basically be impossible for most searchers etc. I think MS62-64 would be a fair assessment then. Heck, I'm just trying to put together one decent roll of each mintmark and add it to the yearly collection!
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing