Unexpected Source of Copper Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Unexpected Source of Copper Pennies

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:09 am

I was at the storage locker that I rent, swapping out some stuff for work, and oddly enough, the unit next to mine was up for auction that day. The auction was beginning to start the inspection process as I closed my locker with my stuff. I left, and came back later in the day to re-store back the stuff I took out. I found the guys that bought the unit trying to clear it out.

Long story short; they spent $700 on a unit mostly full of trash and junk that were mostly Salvation Army Fodder. The only solace was that they pulled out 5 shoe boxes full of pennies. I spotted them $200 after I ran my hands thru the boxes to ensure they didn't miss anything valuable, and they agreed. Better to leave with some cash than nothing (other than a Tax Deduction they won't see till next year).

Going thru one box already, and out of the box, half the box was all Coppers (Counted 4500 pennies, around 2200 were copper). Haven't seen a date past 2001, so i'm stoked. The other boxes seem to be near $50.00 face each, so here's hoping.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Unexpected Source of Copper Pennies

Postby tn-dave » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 am

Wow, good score.. I've watched a few of the storage locker auction TV show and one of the guys hit the motherload with a tub full of silver in a locker.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby myspen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:21 pm

That's awesome! Maybe I should visit the storage auctions more often! :mrgreen: 2200 of the 4500 were copper?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: can't get much better than that, almost 50%! I'm just green with envy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
myspen

Postby marine70 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Good score,however why would anyone store any coins in a storage locker. Locks can easily be cut off it just doesn't make sence.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:17 pm

marine70 wrote:Good score,however why would anyone store any coins in a storage locker. Locks can easily be cut off it just doesn't make sence.

I've seen better.

http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/index.jsp
http://www.spike.com/show/39992
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 am

Second Box: 4400 Coins; 1716 were copper.

..erk.....this is a bad omen.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing