Stepping up operations.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Stepping up operations.

Postby corky569 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:25 pm

I found a local buyer for "all my copper" , I just ordered my Ryedale, and was wondering. How far can I push my banks? I have been buying 50.00 a day and dumping about four days a week. I just ordered 1000.00 in pennies and asked about a weekly pick up. It seemed routine. I only have one dump bank. How much should I try to dump. They take my cents loose in coin lok bags. I'm thinking 200.00 a day should be ok? Allso, what do you big timers dump in, those bags are expensive. Also iis it illegal to sell cents? It seems a little too good to be true. If the buyer is melting or exporting, am I also liable? Just a thought. Thanks, Tom.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Re: Stepping up operations.

Postby VWBEAMER » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm

It's not illegal to sell them, but if know that the buyer is exporting them or melting them you could be an accessory to the crime. I think a don't ask , don't tell policy is in order. And if the buyer mentions exporting them or melting them, you should refuse the sell.

The pennies are bought and sold everyday on Ebay, coin shows, etc.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Metaldog » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Check with the bank what they're comfortable giving out/taking in. I've found that if the banks are comfortable with what you're taking out/dumping then things move on pretty smooth. 8-)
Metaldog

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:06 pm

banks vary. some don't like the coin sitting there because it takes up room. this one told me to dump on Wednesday mornigns because they have a pickup that day. found one that doesnt care and gives me free bags. i just have to go through one teller because if i go somewhere else the teller freaks out. finding a bank that will take a dump in plastic bags is the goal. in bulk the bags cost 50 cents.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Bulk bags at 50 cents, huh? Hmmmm........do they take payment in war nickels? :) One war nickel at melt would give me three sets of bulk bags if a war nick is now worth around $1.60 . Can't give them a silver dime, as that's too much and starting to cut into my profit. :)

I'm not going to pay them with zincolns either, because then I'm out 50 cents! (at least they'll take them at face, though)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:a bank that will take a dump in plastic bags

totally out of context
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby corky569 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 am

involuntary tentacle wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:a bank that will take a dump in plastic bags

totally out of context

Definitely not a bank I would do business with.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby Crescendo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 am

corky569 wrote: If the buyer is melting or exporting, am I also liable? Just a thought. Thanks, Tom.

If you suspect that this person is up to no good and doing something illegal then you should have nothing to do with them. If you feel they are doing something illegal, and since it is them doing it and not you, but you still conduct business with them, then I think the term is 'willful blindfulness'. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if they are hoarding or melting/exporting based on conversation with them. Hoarding = good. Anything else = bad.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing