Presidential dollar shipping, lesson learned

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Presidential dollar shipping, lesson learned

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:41 pm

As posted elsewhere, I've been using the US Mint Presidential coin program as a sort of fee-free ATM with delivery to my post box, with charge card reward points to boot. However, previous buys have simply been single boxes of 250. Two weeks ago I ordered 500, and it not only took a longer time for them to process, and to ship, but it turns out that because it exceeded some threshold value, this time they shipped it UPS signature. Had to go wait in line for half hour to get it. Future buys will go back to 250...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Presidential dollar shipping, lesson learned

Postby Pennybug » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Yet again... another great innovation from a fellow member! GREAT IDEA! Had not thought of doing that...
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyBoy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:16 pm

I don't think I quite understand. And after looking on the mints website I still don't think I quite understand. Does anyone care to explain? Please...
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby oktyabyr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 pm

The program is intended to introduce more of the dollar coins into circulation. So to increase circulation, they will ship you increments of $250. You pay face value, and they ship them for free. So you get $250 in presidential dollars, for $250.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 pm

PennyBoy-

As oktyabyr explained, you can order the Presidential Dollars from the Mint website at no extra cost. If you time it right, you can get the cash (the coins) in hand before your credit card bill comes do. So, it is basically a free loan. Also, if you have a CC that gives you cash back, it's actually a loan that pays you.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby PennyBoy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Sounds risky but if you can pull it off and stick it to the credit card companies, more power to you!
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby sanitarium_inmate » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:39 am

AND..... you have the opportunity to search for any variety from those rolls. keep what you find that might be valueable and take the rest back to the bank and make your payment to your credit card or spend them like cash to circulate them and pay your credit card with the cash from your bank account. Just don't take too long searching them before the interest on your card hits.
sanitarium_inmate
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 am

Didn't I read on here a few weeks back that they where closing this loophole by changing how the charge appears on your credit card so that you will no longer accrue points or whatever?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:31 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:Didn't I read on here a few weeks back that they where closing this loophole by changing how the charge appears on your credit card so that you will no longer accrue points or whatever?

To answer collected comments starting with the above...

See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3115

In the thread above the claim was made that this would be charged as a cash advance, and posted a link to a site that noted this, but that isn't what they are doing, at least not yet. (They would have to notify you in advance before you hit the buy button if they did this, and further it would kill the program because no one would do it.) Instead, the mint is limiting sales (but to numbers that are still higher than I would use). Another member, dp2007, also verified that he was also not being charged as a cash advance.

There is no interest on the charge, as long as you pay off your balance every month, as I do. There is no point in doing this if you are carrying a balance.

Last time I checked they were getting short of some coins. Many were back-ordered. There was only one in stock at that time, James Madison, but it changes all the time.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am

I have posted this before... I had the best time with this program. I lived in Pago Pago for 2 years. It is a small island and tight nit communitiy... everyone knows each other 57 sq miles about 60k population. In the middle of the south pacific. Anyway.... my name is John Adams... I was buying the John adams dollars thru the mint program and spending the, there... can,t tell you how many times I was asked how can I get dollars with my name on them?....any way I am sure they are all still there. Money rarely leaves the island... you see some really beat up bills.... it was cool when I got one of my "john adams" coins back in change.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennybug » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:18 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:I have posted this before... I had the best time with this program. I lived in Pago Pago for 2 years. It is a small island and tight nit communitiy... everyone knows each other 57 sq miles about 60k population. In the middle of the south pacific. Anyway.... my name is John Adams... I was buying the John adams dollars thru the mint program and spending the, there... can,t tell you how many times I was asked how can I get dollars with my name on them?....any way I am sure they are all still there. Money rarely leaves the island... you see some really beat up bills.... it was cool when I got one of my "john adams" coins back in change.

I know you've posted that before too... but no matter how many times I hear it... I still think it's one of the best stories on Realcent! :lol:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby thunter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:34 pm

I received my $250 order last week. I plan on using the coins at garage sales to get them in circulation. I'm getting frequent flier miles through the credit card.

I'd love to see dollar coins become more popular ... I need to have more people losing them so I can find them with my metal detector. :lol:
thunter
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:22 pm

thunter wrote:I'd love to see dollar coins become more popular ... I need to have more people losing them so I can find them with my metal detector. :lol:

Perhaps you would be interested in buying one of my paper detectors. :idea: It can be fine-tuned to discover only currency. :lol:

Recently, I found a twenty walking home from my favorite Indian food restaurant. I used some very fancy equipment -- my eyes -- and whoever designed those puppies sure knew what He was doing. Should have seen me. I crouched down next to the twenty and pretended to tie my shoe. Then I slyly tucked the FRN in my shoe. Nobody was walking nearby, but there were cars stopped at the intersection.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 pm

The John Adams story is classic.

If you want to avoid interest, go with an American Express charge card. Pay it off every month, no interest, and collect the reward points. Granted you'll be looking at an annual fee. However, given recent changes thanks to the previous Congress, it seems more and more credit card issuers will be having annual fees.
Last edited by exbingoaddict on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:26 am

I was looking for a good rewards card as my wife travels a lot for biz.. we have a no fee cash rewards card that pays a small reward/.. I searched around and every card that had better points or miles had a fee that basicly evened it out.. so we are keeping the chase card and getting a small check every 6 months or so... I hate annual fees....
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing