What to do with a box full of shiny pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What to do with a box full of shiny pennies

Postby involuntary tentacle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:15 pm

In this box I picked up on my lunch break, it was full of clear rolls. I counted EIGHT rolls that had any dark pennies in it. Out of these eight rolls, only ONE had more than a SINGLE dark penny. It actually only contained two dark pennies.

Should I dump this at a random bank and pick up another box from a different bank from the first?
I think I mean to ask, would YOU dump this box? I would not be happy if I broke open those eight rolls and found zero copper out of the nine prospects.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What to do with a box full of shiny pennies

Postby Finder » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:48 pm

If i have a roll i cant help but break it open.
sometimes it suprises me on what is a mostly shiny roll, has more copper than some of the dark ones. usually because of 80-82's.

I vote bust those suckers open.

For all you know one is a bu roll of wheats.
no likely I admit, but possible.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby kiwiman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm

might as well open a few
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 pm

You might want to check the dates first before opening the rolls. You may have a box of new pennies that you could offer on e bay or to another collector at a premium. Clear rolls of new pennies do sell as long as they are uncirculated.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Me, I'd bust 'em open if they weren't valuable like wheeler_dealer suggests, but that's because my dump banks use machines. And I'd be curious what was in between the end coins.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CU Baker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Just send the box to me and I'll check them for you!
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:46 am

when i said shiny pennies, i meant shiny as in 2010 shiny. they were clear rolls, i could see every single penny.
and i either saw shields or 2010 on the ends of those rolls.

i ended up depositing the box. guess i learned which bank to avoid for boxes in the future :)
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:28 am

Once box is already open and you see this, you weigh them. If you're getting 126 grams or less, unless you've got a short roll, they are all zinc - don't bother. 127 or 128 are hardly worth busting open, unless you've only got a couple, in which case I'll open them just for "completeness". At 129 I'll open them, but numbers will be bad. It takes at least 130-131 to make it really worthwhile. 132-133 is norm in this area. At 134-135 I can start to smile a bit. At 136 and above I know I've got a winner.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:03 pm

I got three rolls with all zincs, and a fourth roll I could tell it came from the same person, because they put clear tape on the ends of the roll.

I opened it anyway, there was one wheat penny in it. I still think I must have another sorter near, but it was only four rolls.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing