Is this the oldest Lincoln, it is dated 952-D?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is this the oldest Lincoln, it is dated 952-D?

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Franklin found this today. I do not know what the sail boat scratch is about. And I can not tell if it a grease blockage on the one. Was it ground off at some point. On Monday the UPS man is delivering a USB microscope and I will repost a larger photo.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Is this the oldest Lincoln, it is dated 952-D?

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 pm

No sign of the 1 in front of the 952.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 am

It sucks about the damage and scratches...but from your shot I can't see any damage to where the '1' should be. Looks like an ebay million dollar coin....or a ryedale paying coin.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:36 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:It sucks about the damage and scratches...but from your shot I can't see any damage to where the '1' should be. Looks like an ebay million dollar coin....or a ryedale paying coin.

From on the web this coin-- http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=1422&main_ct_id=47 You have found an interesting coin. It sounds like a minting error. If it is, the coin carries value to collectors of such coins. If damage was inflicted to the coin after it left the mint, it has no value to collectors.

The picture shows a mild example of a Lincoln cent that was 'struck through grease.' Grease filled the E in the coin striking machine and no E appeared on the final coin.

This minting error is worth a few US dollars. The coin in the picture might sell to an enthusiastic collector for $3 US dollars. A dealer would pay, perhaps, 50 cents for the coin.

Your coin, if it is in fact a minting error, sounds more valuable because the whole coin was struck through something. Maybe it was grease -- a lot of grease -- or maybe it was something else.
Looks like it a fifty center still fun to have. Franklin also has one with no date he found last year!
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:10 am

Oldest Lincoln! Hahahahahaha!

I think either a bored boy or a convict removed the 1 as well as Lincoln's nose.
Attachments
P1080123.JPG
P1080123.JPG (105.8 KiB) Viewed 413 times
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby whatsnext » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:27 pm

This is not relate but, the stone aztec wheel calander thingy and a few other old statues all have the nose broken off. The statues/images are in prefect condition all except the nose being broken off.

I saw something about this on youtube and just jogged my memory.

So maybe somebody who knows the reason for them being missing made this as a clue. :roll:

Now the nutters on youtube with to much time and an overactive imagination can peice this together.

I cant remember off my head what the other statues were but I'm a going to look it up again. -EDIT- sphinx
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:29 pm

tinhorn wrote:Oldest Lincoln! Hahahahahaha!

I think either a bored boy or a convict removed the 1 as well as Lincoln's nose.

I was wondering about his nose, too! As for where the "1" should be, it obviously looks hella scratched, but I'm no expert.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing