Friends are planning an intervention

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Friends are planning an intervention

Postby Morsecode » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:46 am

When I first started sorting way back one month ago my buddies thought I was nuts. Now, even I suspect it.

I doubt I can keep up the pace, especially as the days stay lighter and temps climb, but here is what I've done so far:

(Mind you, my methods are Amish-like...no technological aids in sorting or counting)

$502.00 59-82

plus:

1400 wheats

400 +/- S mints 68-74

300 or so pre-97 Canadian

And maybe 20 better date set-aside cents. Nicest one is a gem 1934. Looks like it was busted out of a slab yesterday. The oldest so far is an 1865 IH. To call it a cull would be generous, but I stuck it in a 2x2 anyway as a memento.

Okay, so I did buy $150 of it already sorted :D

But I should get half credit on those since I went through them all again anyway :?

I've been reading the nickel board lately...hmmmm. You just buy & stack? No kidding?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Friends are planning an intervention

Postby PennyPauper » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:42 am

Usually after a intervention someone goes to rehab. There is no rehab for sorting.And no known cure either.
You need to turn the tables and have a intervention for them.
Greshams law,fiat currency,inflation,Qe 1,2,3?,run away debt spending,wealth preservation,ect..
Start with something like.."I've noticed your spending habits,and I'm concerned." :lol:

If that doesn't work tell them they would be lucky to be able to join your exclusive new cult,its all the rage. :shock:
If your successful you can get your friends to help you sort and carry zincs back to the banks ;)

Now that I think about it this forum needs a disclaimer.Something like: "Sorting cents,and nickels could become habit forming.And may lead to the accumulation of real money. Other side effects could lead to the hording of precious and base metals in coin form for their intrinsic or numismatic value. Some users have noted a growing distaste for fiat currency.Your results may vary.Consult your Admin if you notice these or other symptoms." ect,ect. :roll:

Good luck.You'll need it.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:44 am

only mistake you are making is too many people know about your hobby.

http://www.theprovince.com/cars/Chilliw ... story.html
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby andrewjackson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:33 pm

8-) . I 100% agree lemon thrower! In this engineered economic depression,one must be very careful as to what information is shared with friend$/family/world wide web
Many many collectors have had a much higher success in their quest for copper then I have.
Here are my results after almost two years.

17 wheat cents
70 memorial cents
6 Canadian cents

Its a good thing that I only collect for fun :lol:
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Yeah, I hear that. It's a stealth operation from here on. Not to worry about my four poker knuckleheads...their idea of an investment is their mortgage. Not one of them would stop to pick a Krugerand off the sidewalk.

:D
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Pennies are a lot harder to steal than silver also. 30 bucks of silver is less than an ounce, 30 bucks of copper pennies is over 20 lbs.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:53 pm

andrewjackson wrote:Many many collectors have had a much higher success in their quest for copper then I have.
Here are my results after almost two years.

17 wheat cents
70 memorial cents
6 Canadian cents

Its a good thing that I only collect for fun :lol:

You must use one of those cheap Ebay comparitors. Your results are close to mine.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby andrewjackson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 pm

8-) . Yes the the hoard seems to be growing at a much slower pace than I hoped :( . Especially taking into consideration that I run $300.00 per week. Did anyone get the 1776 part. :D
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:20 pm

andrewjackson wrote:8-) . Yes the the hoard seems to be growing at a much slower pace than I hoped :( . Especially taking into consideration that I run $300.00 per week. Did anyone get the 1776 part. :D

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Morsecode wrote:Yeah, I hear that. It's a stealth operation from here on. Not to worry about my four poker knuckleheads...their idea of an investment is their mortgage. Not one of them would stop to pick a Krugerand off the sidewalk.

Man, it's been too long since I did Morse code as a teenager. Forgot most of it. Do you still use it? ...---...

About the friends, they will make fun of you until they lose those mortgages and are desperate. I have worried about "loose lips sink ships" lately, too. I have tried to educate my kids and their spouses. May have overdone it on the spouse thing.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Man, it's been too long since I did Morse code as a teenager. Forgot most of it. Do you still use it? ...---...

... --- .-. .-. -.-- - --- ... .- -.-- .. .-. . ... --- .-. - - --- -.-. .... . .- - .. -. --. -. --- .-- .-.-.- .- .-.. --- - . .- ... .. . .-. .-- .. - .... - .... . - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:50 am

Morsecode wrote:Man, it's been too long since I did Morse code as a teenager. Forgot most of it. Do you still use it? ...---...

... --- .-. .-. -.-- - --- ... .- -.-- .. .-. . ... --- .-. - - --- -.-. .... . .- - .. -. --. -. --- .-- .-.-.- .- .-.. --- - . .- ... .. . .-. .-- .. - .... - .... . - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

I enlarged this so I could read it better.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:59 am

Morsecode wrote:Man, it's been too long since I did Morse code as a teenager. Forgot most of it. Do you still use it? ...---...

- .-. -.-- / - .... .. ... / .-- . -... ... .. - . .-.-.-
http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:50 pm

--- -.- .. .-.. . .- .-. -. . -.. ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. -. . .-- .... . .-. . --- -. .-. . .- .-.. -.-. . -. - - --- -.. .- -.-- ...- . .-. -.-- -.-. --- --- .-.. .-.. --- .-..
TXBullion

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:59 pm

...- . .. --. .- -... .- -- . -..-.-.
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing