Canadian Quarter

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Canadian Quarter

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:33 am

Now, like never before I have been watching the change I get from stores when I pay cash. Tonight the lady at the register gave me back 39 cents in change. I immediately noticed that the quarter was from Canada and said, "Ma'am, you have given me a quarter from Canada." She looked like I had just insulted her mother. She didn't say "sorry" or anything else. She reopened the cash register, put the Canadian back in the till for the next unsuspecting customer and handed me a US quarter. By the way, I live in San Antonio, in the great state of Texas. There's not a lot of Canadian coins down here.

Keep hoarding!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Canadian Quarter

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:15 am

That Canadian Quarter is worth more than a US Quarter...
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 am

I blew it again! Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 am

I always keep canadian quarters,nickels ect...one day ill have a lot and ill exchange it
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 am

probly wont exchange the CuNi nickels though
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby chris6084 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 pm

So now I have some competition in SA?? Welcome to realcent.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:13 am

Hang on a sec. I have always dumped CDN quarters, as I'm into CDN coins only for the PM content (ie 98% copper penny, 75/25 Cupro, and especially 99.9% Ni). But I have always tossed the CDN quarter in the reject pile. The CDN quarter has practically no PM value for post-1999. For 1999 and previous years, it still only has a PM value of only around .14 US cents. This is why I readily return them (and hidden in a roll of quarters, so that I don't get screwed out of my 25 cents).

For argument's sake, let's say you actually sorted and assembled a single roll of pre-2000 CDN quarters. OK then....what would you do with them? Even if you decided to sell/exchange them here in the USA, most banks, AAA travel agencies and most exchange places at USA airports, are not going to take any coin at all (foreign or domestic). What's your plan? Am I missing something here? Just checking, as I was planning on posting a new topic on CDN quarters until I saw your post.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:38 am

This is a little theoretical - I don't stockpile anything but silver quarters but here goes:

1. Pure Ni quarters to 1999 were worth well over face in the big nickel run up several years back. I fully expect melt to exceed face value in time again.

2. One Canadian dollar buys about 1.01 USD today, hence my cute remark. While this is not enough to justify sorting out Canadian coins just yet, i can tell you that pulling American coins from circulation in Canada and repatriating them was a reasonably profitable hobby even at a 10 percent spread, even better at a 30%+ spread. Using those US coins obtained at a discount to buy silver made for a nice effective discount on silver. The CDN$ (and most other currencies) are strong again the greenback. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=CAD&to=USD

3. Some members have access to discounted Canadian coins. They sell them on and make a nice profit.

4. While US banks will not exchange Cdn coin rolls, there are a number of ways to exchange them. AGgressive Metal buys them and resells them. You can sell them on ebay as Cdn cash and get near full value less fees. For members interested, I will exchange Canadian coins that are shipped to my US address for a 10% discount. In other words send me CAD$100 and I'll send you $90 US. This rate holds as long as the dollars stay near parity.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby nero12345 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:09 pm

canadian quarters from 68-99 are made of 99.9% nickel and weigh 5.83 grams. prior to 68' they are made up of at least 50% silver. some are 80% silver. nickels (4.54 grams)pre 81' are 99.9 % nickel. dimes(2.07 grams) are 99.9% nickel. such as quarters dimes are made up of 80% silver from 22' to 66'. i'm trying to learn the make up of your american coins, but its slow. i am finding alot though as i sort recently.i wouldnt be tossing the canadian coins so quick if i were in the states. melt them up before our canadian mint does. happy hunting
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing