New Guy

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

New Guy

Postby justj2k78 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Hey all, just got into this whole copper hoarding gig a couple weeks back. I enjoy it as something relaxing to do at the end of a long day at work. I'm definitely operating on a much smaller scale than most of you, I suppose opening 60 or so rolls so far. I've been lucky enough to find any where from the high 20's to mid 30's % copper so far. I've also examined the spare change in my house, finding a 1964 Dime and a 1904 Canadian dime. I live in very upstate NY, and my proximity to Canada certainly sprinkles more of their pennies in local banks than might be found elsewhere. My favorite find so far in my sorting has been a 2 cent Euro, from Ireland, as I'm of Irish heritage.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the new hobby and I look forward to spending some time here talking about it.

J
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: New Guy

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:32 pm

A big Texas welcome to you.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum justj2k78. Sounds like you are getting great percentages. If I lived where you I think I would make an occasional run north of the border and get a bunch of Canuk pennies. Much higher copper percentages there. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:19 am

Welcome!!!

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Welcome, there is a ton of knowledge to be gained from reading these boards. :D Happy hoarding
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby sparechange » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Welcome to the board. Unique finds while sorting make it that much more enjoyable and addictive. Hope the % remain high for you.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I definitely have the bug. I wanted to open some rolls today, but figured I was out of luck until tomorrow, due to the holiday. Then while driving through town, I saw a TD Bank with the sign "Open on President's Day!". I almost put my car into a telephone pole. But I have 10 rolls for tonight! (Small time!)
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:06 pm

justj2k78 wrote:Thanks for the welcome, folks. I definitely have the bug. I wanted to open some rolls today, but figured I was out of luck until tomorrow, due to the holiday. Then while driving through town, I saw a TD Bank with the sign "Open on President's Day!". I almost put my car into a telephone pole. But I have 10 rolls for tonight! (Small time!)

Hey... me too! It's even my name! :D

Welcome! That's pretty cool to find some silver right off the bat like that! Some valuable tips... ALWAYS keep your eyes out for silver! I've only been at this for a few months now and I've already found a silver quarter and a silver dime in a bankers change drawer while I was waiting in line to get some pennies. No telling how much we've all missed in our lives prior to our "unplugging from the matrix". Keep your eyes open for Canadian nickels too since your in the NY area!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Yes I have been able to pick up a handful of Canadian nickels, just from the change jar here. Right now, American and Canadian money is pretty much exchanged at par, so the Canadian change (denominations > penny) does get handed back as change, particularly at malls, outlets, etc. I remember a time not tooooo long ago, where "we" would hand back the Canadian change, and tell them to give us the "real thing". Oops.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:24 pm

So after all that, I just opened 10 rolls, not a single Canadian. $1.45 in copper, but all American. Odd. Can't complain about the 29% copper rate though!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 pm

J, welcome have fun and stay long. As long as you're not from WNY!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Misteroman, no worries - I'm in Plattsburgh. If I was any further north, I'd be Canadian, and any further east, I'd be a Vermonter. (Actually I'd be in a lake.)

But... GO BILLS!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby andrewjackson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:37 am

8-) . Welcome aboard, from the other side of the lake.
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi Andrew, whereabouts in VT are you? I've always loved visiting VT, spent a fair amount of time in the Burlington/Williston area - good people on your side of the pond!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby andrewjackson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 am

:) Burlington is a great city. I live 20 miles from the Canadian border.
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing