Circumventing the CoinStar (not recommended)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Circumventing the CoinStar (not recommended)

Postby Red King » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 am

Anyway, I was browsing youtube, in search of new ways to make my coin sorter faster, when I stumbled upon this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nKoFhol ... re=related

While tempting to try, I kind of enjoy having a clean criminal record. :P
However, I wonder if it would still work (vid is from 2007).
Red King
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Circumventing the CoinStar (not recommended)

Postby misteroman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:49 am

I bet it doesn't but o do I want to try. Would only do like $.50 just to see if it worked :)
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:09 am

I posted this earlier, but deleted it.

I deleted it because :
A. it may be illegal
2. It doesn't work.

The machine will deduct the 9.8% if it can't give you the ecertificate. I supect it worked at one time, but Coinstar caught on to it.

Edit: The board left off the first line of my post for some reason.
Last edited by VWBEAMER on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

This type of activity has been occurring on my local Coinstar machine for sometime. If you select to get an ecertificate and it cannot issue one it offers a voucher for the full amount (0% fee) of the change it has counted. Think about how many people would complain if they wanted an Amazon certificate and were instead charged 10%, not to mention bait and switch accusations. I put about $5,000 through the machine since September using this method. Unfortunately, just this past Saturday the machine was again able to issue ecertificates. Oh well, it was a pretty good ride while it lasted. The machine was clearly emptied/serviced several times over the past five months, frankly, I was surprised the free counting lasted this long.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Coinstar more than likely programed it to it that way because that machine had a problem. There are accounts of people trying to do this hack by unplugging the cable and it not working. I think it would be unethical also.

I'm not saying what you did wasn't unethical, you just took advantage of what the machine was giving you.

PolishPunisher wrote:This type of activity has been occurring on my local Coinstar machine for sometime. If you select to get an ecertificate and it cannot issue one it offers a voucher for the full amount (0% fee) of the change it has counted. Think about how many people would complain if they wanted an Amazon certificate and were instead charged 10%, not to mention bait and switch accusations. I put about $5,000 through the machine since September using this method. Unfortunately, just this past Saturday the machine was again able to issue ecertificates. Oh well, it was a pretty good ride while it lasted. The machine was clearly emptied/serviced several times over the past five months, frankly, I was surprised the free counting lasted this long.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Here's an ethical alternative... Next time you know the phone lines are out in your area... head to your nearest Coinstar! If your out at the grocery store and they say "our credit machines are down"... now you know what to do! :D
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 am

Tampering with the machine is not ethical. When was the last time your phone line went down anyway?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:17 am

JadeDragon wrote:Tampering with the machine is not ethical. When was the last time your phone line went down anyway?

Whats a phone line?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 am

JadeDragon wrote:Tampering with the machine is not ethical. When was the last time your phone line went down anyway?

Down here in SC... it's not all that rare. It happens a few times a year for sure. In fact... I was in downtown Greenville SC 2 weekends ago and the phones went down. I wasn't able to use an ATM and the local businesses weren't able to use credit swiping machines. They were out for a few hrs.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Red King » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 pm

cesariojpn wrote:

Whats a phone line?

:lol:
Red King
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing