foreign currency

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

foreign currency

Postby biglouddrunk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Does anybody know if a website exists that calculates the melt value of other coins besides just US and Canadian? Coinflation is a cool site, but I am just curious what one would look for if they took a trip to Mexico. For that matter it would be cool if somebody built onto the trail coinflation has blazed and did a site with maybe 10 or 20 different currencies. Once one could slowly added coinage a country at a time and just tie it into the spot prices. It would be easy to do on a spreadsheet, however I don't know html very well.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: foreign currency

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:31 pm

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:24 am

Someone posted this a month or two back. http://currencydebasement.com/
Very neat site. Folks asked if it was possible to add a composition filter when searching,and got a reply that something could be done. Now you can search for copper and nickel coins. Not sure if someone here is behind this,but would not surprise me one bit.Lots of great information in one place. Used it many times looking for current and obsolete coins too.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Slaphot » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks PP! That site is great!!!
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:30 am

HEY BIGLOUDDRUNK, Great question, and PP super fantastic response with the website. I think this website is going to my desktop...maybe it should be a sticky...Mods?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 am

PennyPauper wrote:Someone posted this a month or two back. http://currencydebasement.com/
Very neat site. Folks asked if it was possible to add a composition filter when searching,and got a reply that something could be done. Now you can search for copper and nickel coins. Not sure if someone here is behind this,but would not surprise me one bit.Lots of great information in one place. Used it many times looking for current and obsolete coins too.

Thanks very much for the link to this great site!

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby biglouddrunk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 pm

The currency debasement site is awesome. It seems many countries have excellent sources of higher melt value coins. Take a look at Angola. Now I may sound like the uninformed american here, but I would suppose that most folks in Angola have little to no money. It appears they have 3 currencies there that are still being manufactured that are anywhere from 2X to 5.5X face. That would be an excellent way for an Angolan to make some loot. I suppose shipping might be a problem or access to currency, but take a look at my scenario. An Angolan buys 1,920 1 Kwanza coins (19 lbs). It has a face value of about $20.50. The melt value is about $122.50. This would be a little over a $100 gain. I can ship a 20 lbs package from here to Angola for $43 bucks (medium flat rate) so lets assume they can ship from there to here for about $43 dollars. So if they can get 2/3rds face like some of us do here. They sell $122.5 worth for about $80. After ebay fees they have 70 bucks. They paid $20.50 for the currency and 43.50 to ship it which all tolled would leave them only $6 dollars profit. Still this is might be a good wage for one days work for somebody in Angola.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Sounds like a nigerian oil minister email, in reverse. "Hi I'm an American and I need your help to make us both some money. Just buy a bunch of coins and ship it to me...,"

Ha! :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:39 pm

PennyPauper wrote:Someone posted this a month or two back. http://currencydebasement.com/

The site owner is a member here. Not sure which member though.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 pm

I bet in Angola if you got caught, you would not get a fine... you would get exterminated... we are lucky to live in the USA...for now...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing