Ryedale Coin Counter

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ryedale Coin Counter

Postby RodoubleB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:28 am

So I have a Ryedale apprentice. I would like to add some type of 'counter' to calculate how many coppers are dropping through. Has anyone come up with a good method to do this?
RodoubleB

Re: Ryedale Coin Counter

Postby realhumancopper » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:27 pm

I have never heard of such. I think the best way to get a "count" is to weigh them when you wish. For instance, weigh the coppers you get from sorting 10 boxes of cents............b
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Many Ryedales came with counters. Mine is an early edition with no counter though. The downside to the counter is it is kind of useless. Most of us run coins through again, try sorting by zinc or steel accept, play with wheats, sort nickels, and so on. So the counter does not really tell you how many coins you really processed.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby RodoubleB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Many Ryedales came with counters. Mine is an early edition with no counter though. The downside to the counter is it is kind of useless. Most of us run coins through again, try sorting by zinc or steel accept, play with wheats, sort nickels, and so on. So the counter does not really tell you how many coins you really processed.

So you typically do a run to separate coppers, then you do a second run of the coppers to sort again? is the machine successful in doing so? what do you sort for?
RodoubleB

Postby fasteddy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:23 pm

My Apprentice for dimes has a counter...it is useless IMO. Sometimes it counts.

My penny Apprentice's do not have counters...What JadeDragon said...you sort for zincs, then run rejects through after adjusting the potentiometer for copper then hand sort those rejects for Indian Heads and early wheats. So in reality a counter would not be accurate unless you made notes as you sorted....too time consuming.

If you really want a counter you can get a desk top model for somewhere under $200 from the classifieds, craiglist, ebay. Look for a scan coin 303 or a 313 they use electronic counters and go to 999,999.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Yep - a scancoin as adjunct to the sorter is the best, inexpensive, method
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:58 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Many Ryedales came with counters. Mine is an early edition with no counter though. The downside to the counter is it is kind of useless. Most of us run coins through again, try sorting by zinc or steel accept, play with wheats, sort nickels, and so on. So the counter does not really tell you how many coins you really processed.

I do like the fact that the counter at least lets me know how old the machine is getting- not exactly, but close enough.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RodoubleB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:59 pm

Howmuch wear and tare can I expect out the ryedale?
RodoubleB

Postby fasteddy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 am

The Ryedale's are well built machines. You will get a lot of use out of it. Keep it clean, lubed and replace the wheel about every million cents. I have over 3 million cents through mine and I bought my Ryedale Apprentice's used.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing