So is the sorting still happening?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

So is the sorting still happening?

Postby goodcents » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:39 pm

I hear so little nowadays about Ryedales and sorting that I often wonder if there are still all those silent sorting operations going on? I've been a member on here for 8 years now and haven't seen some of the big names I used to posting like they used to. Just curious if everyone is still sorting as much or maybe even more than before. Or have many sold and put into another metal like silver and gold due to the fact of running out of space.

Just curious is all.
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: So is the sorting still happening?

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Not sorting myself. My bank started to get all new stuff so I sold off and been doing the AG & AU thing. I still have my Ryedale and might start up again soon. Never know what I'll get into if I get bored. :D
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:04 pm

theshoenlebens wrote:Not sorting myself. My bank started to get all new stuff so I sold off and been doing the AG & AU thing. I still have my Ryedale and might start up again soon. Never know what I'll get into if I get bored. :D

Ditto...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Completely out. Might have about 50 In my house change jar that I need to get rid of.
TXBullion

Postby goodcents » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:00 pm

Ok so I'm not going crazy then....
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:09 pm

I stopped sorting for the most part, but I had the itch, and hand-sorted about $20 last week. Every once in a while, it'll hit me, like an addiction craving.

"Let me just get a little taste of that copper..."

"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:15 pm

I still pull it from my change, but have not got any from a bank to sort in a while...... just might this weekend.

-J
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Don't ask me why... but I still look for the pre-82's when I'm sitting in the drive thru before handing them all my change.

They love that, btw. :lol: Believe it or not, the other day I spent $5.36. Paid with twenty quarters and 36 pennies.

There was no one behind me. The girl had to call over the supervisor to figure out how to count the coins. :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Mr Paradise » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm still hand sorting about a box a week. I've been getting some very good percentages so that keeps me motivated.
Mr Paradise
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:34 pm

I still have boxes of pennies to sort, but don't have any real sense of urgency about doing it in the next week or even several months. Some day when I'm really bored or home sick or in full survivor prepping mode, maybe then I'll step up and sort. I do go through virtually all the change in my household, however.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Sun May 15, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:07 am

Still hand sorting. The percentages continue to drop as the number of new shield cents keeps increasing. At least the shield cents can be sorted out quickly without having to check the dates. I'll keep it up while I still have room to store the copper. The money tied up is kind of a forced long term savings account. It would be tied up in silver if I didn't have it tied up in copper.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:10 am

My sorting has come to a stop. Still pulling from pocket change. All my extra cash and enery going to Ag and a little Au right now. Trying to maximize the stack while price still relatively cheap. Still have my coppers on hand from years of sorting. You know, even with price of copper depressed right now, pulling pre-82s from circulation is a great way to hedge the ZIRP policies that affect our bank account. If we ever go to negative interest rates, copper sorting may become much more important.

Stack what you can while you can.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby WileE » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:42 am

Why not? I can sort all year and just tie up $2000.
I think it will appreciate better than my 401K!
It's the healthiest addiction I have had.
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wolvesdad » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:01 pm

My opinion is different.

I anyway, was spending a fair amount on extra gas, and allotting time better used for other things. Plus my life /space was unorganized and sorting just made it worse.

I believe now that a part time craft or hobby that earns income is likely to bring you better returns versus time invested. Even if that hobby is gardening. The savings in gas and fresh food costs will more than surpass the potential gains in some unforeseen future sale time.

Part time lawn mowing, gardening, sharpening knives for friends and neighbors, doing your own minor car maintenance and repair, doing your own home preventative maintenance and repair(a/c, roof, plumbing, etc), weaving rattan vine from your fence into manikins, etc!!!

But almost certainly, anytime that you have to move these in less then a leisurely amount of time, the damage to your body, or strain, or stress, eats away any or all potential future gain.

So know that my assessment doesn't apply to everyone. I do believe that there are a select few that actually get beneficial helpful relaxation from doing the sorting, I believe for children 14 years of age or less, it can be a nice hobby to practice savings and possibly future income. But for most, small to medium sorters, i now believe it will always be a profit-negative labor of 'love.'

That being said, I did heavily invest in that labor in the previous years, and I hope to not have to return the fruits of my labor back into the wild. But will wait to recoupe some minor profits in the future if the ban is ever lifted and the price of copper has gone up.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wolvesdad » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Oh!!!!
And years ago, about 9 years, I did get from the bank and set aside eight boxes for my children to sort. These are the boxes that I weighed and determined they had a higher copper percentage.
My two oldest children have already sorted theirs, and kept all the wheats and a few of the nicer looking copper cents. But I still have boxes that my two younger children need to sort, and one of them is probably still too young.

My two oldest children did have fun sorting them, but both of them felt it was a little bit tedious when I finally told them they needed to finish it up and clear that area again. They were doing it on their own schedule, maybe 10 minutes a day. I bought the rest of the copper cents from them at 1.2 times face.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 pm

Still sitting here.
misteroman

Postby Chief » Sun May 01, 2016 12:33 am

I've bought a Ryedale back in 2011 or 2012. I sorted enough cents to get over a ton of coppers. In my area, I was getting +/-30% coppers. Now I've been just raiding "give an penny, take a penny" or sorting pocket change, which isn't much due to a credit card with 1.5% cash back. Dumping zincs or dumping clad halves has always been the biggest issue. Maybe I should sell the old Ryedale.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Zincanator » Sun May 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Converted most of my copper to silver when it was hovering between $14 and $15. Sold $25 boxes on Craigs. It was a waiting game but eventually somebody would come along and want a bunch. I filled up the back of an older gentleman's SUV to the point it looked like he had an engine block back there (surprisingly doesn't take much). Said he was just going to give to grand kids when he dies, wanted to be known as "the crazy penny grandpa" and that's a quote.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DaMangRon » Mon May 02, 2016 4:31 am

I've been sorting $400- $600 per month with a constent 25% +/- 5% EVERY month for the past few years. But I just recently stopped since all the TD Bank coin machines have been shut down till further notice. But I guess I'm a pretty lucky guy because I have sold 40 CTU's ( 5 at a time ) to the same buyer for $160 shipped....and I keep the wheats.

If you haven't heard about the TD Bank issues check this out :

http://www.today.com/video/rossen-repor ... 9979331847
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue May 03, 2016 12:32 pm

DaMangRon wrote:I've been sorting $400- $600 per month with a constent 25% +/- 5% EVERY month for the past few years. But I just recently stopped since all the TD Bank coin machines have been shut down till further notice. But I guess I'm a pretty lucky guy because I have sold 40 CTU's ( 5 at a time ) to the same buyer for $160 shipped....and I keep the wheats.

If you haven't heard about the TD Bank issues check this out :

http://www.today.com/video/rossen-repor ... 9979331847

You still have your buyer?????

LUCKY!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby hobo finds » Tue May 03, 2016 1:11 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:Still hand sorting. The percentages continue to drop as the number of new shield cents keeps increasing. At least the shield cents can be sorted out quickly without having to check the dates. I'll keep it up while I still have room to store the copper. The money tied up is kind of a forced long term savings account. It would be tied up in silver if I didn't have it tied up in copper.

As the shields increase they do decrease as they can't hold up to a copper cent! I have been getting many damaged zincs as they corrode away. I think of it this way when coppers are dumped back into the system and zincs are removed as they are no longer useable this should keep us going for awhile. Until they take the copper back!
hobo finds

Postby scyther » Thu May 05, 2016 2:43 pm

I keep ones I find in change, that's all. I enjoy handsorting, so I'm sure I'll do it again some day, but only to the extent that I enjoy it. It's clear we won't be making any money any time soon.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Fri May 06, 2016 9:19 am

I was never one of the major sorters. I still pull coppers out of pocket change. I haven't sorted a box in a while, but I think I'll grab one soon. I think its fun!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Klark Cent » Sat May 07, 2016 6:05 pm

I stopped sorting and regret ever having done so.

EDIT: On second thought it was pretty fun.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat May 07, 2016 11:41 pm

I learned a lot in sorting. Ironically I think some methodologies carried over to what I do now so the concepts were worth it 10x fold
TXBullion

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing