The US copper Penny or the Russian 1 Kopek coin

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The US copper Penny or the Russian 1 Kopek coin

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Excerpt from the article found at: https://www.sovereignman.com/trends/how ... 0b8dc076f5

"The Russian ruble has become so cheap, however, that some of its coins are basically worthless. The 1 kopek coin, for example, is the smallest denomination Russian coin that’s worth 1/100th of a ruble. At current exchange rates that’s $0.00015, or about 0.015 cents! It’s nothing. And yet each kopek coin is comprised of 1.5 grams worth of copper, nickel, and steel; and the melt value of these metals is worth a hell of a lot more than 0.015 cents. In fact Russian coin dealers have estimated that the metal value of this coin is worth more than THIRTY FIVE TIMES its face value. That’s quite a return on investment. So theoretically $1,000 worth of these coins could be worth more than $35,000 in profit because of the metal value. Now, I’m not suggesting you book a flight to Russia to scoop up and melt down all the coins you can find. But it’s worth pointing out that these sorts of anomalies don’t come around too often. And when they do, it’s important to pay attention."
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The US copper Penny or the Russian 1 Kopek coin

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 am

How can I get a few tons of these? I could certainly see adding them to the Hoard. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby coincrazy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:20 am

I read the article posted on 0h and it got me interested also :lol:
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:45 am

Highroller sent me a message:

*** Their numbers are way off! The 1 kopek is nickel plated steel and a weight of 1.5 grams per coin.

It would take 614,400 1 kopek coins to make 2000lbs which equals 6144 Roubles. Exchange rate = $96.04 USD.

I am not sure exactly what you would get for scrap prices but I believe it would be around $80/ton

If the coin was made out of anything else I am sure you could make a killing.

:shifty:
Copper Catcher

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:13 am

I would think that the price would be prohibitive for separating copper from nickel and steel. Add to that the cost of transportation from Russia. It sounds like it would be hard to justify. Am I missing something?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Obsolete coins from many countries that are nickel, copper, CuNi, brass, etc ARE bought/sold by the ton by brokers to refiners. To get in on the action you'd have to know the right people, be willing to pay very close to scrap value, and willing to deal with US Customs and have your own warehousing/transportation. In short, very tough! US Penny is still KING for domestic base metal coin stackers, even though its still illegal to refine.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:55 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Obsolete coins from many countries that are nickel, copper, CuNi, brass, etc ARE bought/sold by the ton by brokers to refiners. To get in on the action you'd have to know the right people, be willing to pay very close to scrap value, and willing to deal with US Customs and have your own warehousing/transportation. In short, very tough! US Penny is still KING for domestic base metal coin stackers, even though its still illegal to refine.

That sounds like a freakin' cool operation to watch! Any links???
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:14 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:
AGgressive Metal wrote:Obsolete coins from many countries that are nickel, copper, CuNi, brass, etc ARE bought/sold by the ton by brokers to refiners. To get in on the action you'd have to know the right people, be willing to pay very close to scrap value, and willing to deal with US Customs and have your own warehousing/transportation. In short, very tough! US Penny is still KING for domestic base metal coin stackers, even though its still illegal to refine.

That sounds like a freakin' cool operation to watch! Any links???

Great idea! A link would be really nice- if it is not too much of an invasion of privacy.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:39 pm

This is mostly done in Asia I doubt they care any more about filming it than they do melting a copper pipe, to be honest. So far as in the US most refiners are semi-secretive for whatever their reasons.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing