1983 Copper Lincoln Cent

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1983 Copper Lincoln Cent

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:12 pm

I was relaxing this past weekend a couple hours away from home with no distractions, so I decided to go through a box of around 2,000 Lincoln cents which I bought as copper from someone who was moving out of town and didn't want to have to carry them to his new home.

He said he used a Ryedale to sort, so they should all be copper. He did tell me there would likely be some Canadians in there, and there were about five, which was fine.

Of the U.S. Cents I didn't find a single one dated later than 1982 until I was about 80% of the way through the box. And then I found a 1983-D. And then for the final 20% or so of the box I didn't see a single coin dated later than 1982.

Now if I'd found 100 coins dated 1983 and later, I would have thought my chances would be less than one in a million of finding the elusive copper 1983. But I only found that single 1983-D and nothing after 1983. So my heart rate picked up a bit. Still, I figured my chances of getting a copper 1983 were less than 1%.

Since I didn't bring my gram scale with me, I'd have to wait til I got home. Well, upon arrival at home I decided to weigh the 1983 in question and it was 2.5 grams. Oh well....
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1983 Copper Lincoln Cent

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:01 am

That's too bad. I was rootin for ya!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing