35 uncirculated rolls from the 70s

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

35 uncirculated rolls from the 70s

Postby Shattered » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:04 pm

I got a hold of these a while back and I am interested to know what these might be worth. I will try to explain them the best I can.

They are 35($17.50 face) bank rolls all dating from the 70s and have no mint mark. The rolls read "The Fulton National Bank Atlanta Georgia". I'm not going to crack one open so I can only go off of what the coins on the ends look like. Some are kind of dingy but that is just from handling and I would assume the one in the middle of the roll are all BU. Others sticking out look like they are perfect. All the rolls that have 2 heads sticking out have the same dates. So this roll has a '76 on both ends and this roll has '79 on both ends. This leads me to believe each roll is all one date. A few of the rolls are starting to come open a little but most are rolled tight.

Anybody out there have any idea what these might fetch outside of metal value?
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 35 uncirculated rolls from the 70s

Postby Joogaler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:30 am

I would say 2x-3x face value on eBay at the least! You could probably get more, I searched eBay to see if anyone had sold or is selling any 1970's BU rolls and all I could find was this http://cgi.ebay.com/7-BU-S-mint-rolls-1968-69-70-71-72-73-74-S-FULL-RED-/110562600533?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19be0b6655#ht_500wt_1154

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby AgCollector » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 am

Shattered wrote:I got a hold of these a while back and I am interested to know what these might be worth. I will try to explain them the best I can.

They are 35($17.50 face) bank rolls all dating from the 70s and have no mint mark. The rolls read "The Fulton National Bank Atlanta Georgia". I'm not going to crack one open so I can only go off of what the coins on the ends look like. Some are kind of dingy but that is just from handling and I would assume the one in the middle of the roll are all BU. Others sticking out look like they are perfect. All the rolls that have 2 heads sticking out have the same dates. So this roll has a '76 on both ends and this roll has '79 on both ends. This leads me to believe each roll is all one date. A few of the rolls are starting to come open a little but most are rolled tight.

They are pretty common dates so, on eBay between 2x and 4x is probably about right. Depends on how you list them and ship them.
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:38 am

Shattered wrote:I got a hold of these a while back and I am interested to know what these might be worth. I will try to explain them the best I can.

Hopefully they are solid date rolls of BU coins. However, many banks used to roll coins themselves in their own wrappers so there could be a mixture in them. Also, I am finding out that coins put into paper wrappers from the 1960s and 1970s end up suffering and their condition deteriorated from some sort of chemical reaction between the type of paper used in the wrappers and the coins themselves. Sort of like now we know to not use anything near photos unless it is acid free/lignin free if paper, no PVC, etc if plastic.

Good Luck. Let us know what you eventually find out about them and what the final disposition is should you decide to liquidate them.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing