Cleaning Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Cleaning Pennies

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:08 pm

So I cleaned a small batch of copper pennies with a vinegar and salt solution. I let them dry on a towel after they were completely rinsed off with tap water. I was wondering
if they might change color or grow some kind of verdigris. I like my coins to be clean. I will not clean any numismatic ones..... :thumbup:
Has anyone else among our fine community done this before? Thoughts.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Cleaning Pennies

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:19 pm

I am curious as to why you are cleaning them in the first place.

Vinegar and salt shouldn't make verdigris grow, but it also won't prevent it either.

Acetone works best! Acetone strips off the "luster", if the coin has any anyway, and should help prevent verdigris and stop it from growing.

As long as your coins stay dry you shouldn't be getting verdigris in the first place though.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:59 pm

This has been a running subject for some time, including a thread I started but, this one started by Shazbot57 some 3 years ago has some good info:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28565&p=255709&hilit=verdigris#p255709

Doc says he cleans his this way:

johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I am curious as to why you are cleaning them in the first place.

Vinegar and salt shouldn't make verdigris grow, but it also won't prevent it either.

Acetone works best! Acetone strips off the "luster", if the coin has any anyway, and should help prevent verdigris and stop it from growing.

As long as your coins stay dry you shouldn't be getting verdigris in the first place though.

I was only cleaning them just because I like the appearance of clean looking copper pennies, that's all. I was bored.... :lol:
My coins do stay in a dry cool place, away from moisture or humidity.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:42 am

hmm i was going to ask this same thing today. i got a batch that have been through a fire, turned very dark , purpleish and unreadable dates.

will be seeing if the acetone will do it.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm

So after cleaning the pennies over a month ago, I've noticed that they aren't quite as "shiny" as they were before. I'm guessing that it's just reaction between
the copper and the air. They have a dullish appearance now. :? I wonder if they will revert back to a darker brown color? :?:

Oh well. At least they aren't dirty anymore! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 pm

I used to clean my pennies at work on my lunch hour. I work in a chemical plant and had every chemical you can think of at my disposal. I tried acetone, but not that great. I used acetic acid and that worked better. The best for was citric acid and boiling water in a plastic jar. Shake it around a bit let sit a couple of hours. Rinsed them off and scrubbed each one on a green scrub pad and they were like brand new. Ask Bob Baker about them. He bought a few CTU's from me. That process is over since I retired from Kodak in January and now I'm a full time stagehand.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:36 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:So after cleaning the pennies over a month ago, I've noticed that they aren't quite as "shiny" as they were before. I'm guessing that it's just reaction between
the copper and the air. They have a dullish appearance now. :? I wonder if they will revert back to a darker brown color? :?:

Oh well. At least they aren't dirty anymore! :thumbup:

It's called oxidation; yep, unless they are sealed with minimum oxygen, they will tarnish.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Way, way, way too much work for minimal (or no) return. I speak as one who has been collecting (and sometimes hoarding) copper cents for the past 55 years.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing