Ugly U.S. versus Canadian coppers- which is more common?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ugly U.S. versus Canadian coppers- which is more common?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:38 pm

One thing about Canadian copper pennies vs. U.S. (where I live) copper pennies that has always puzzled me... it seems like the U.S. coins are much more likely to be ugly, corroded, have tar or some foreign substance on them. And, of course, there are the fountain coins (pennies anyway) which become really ugly in a hurry. Is this just commentary about how people in the U.S. don't take care of things as well as elsewhere, or is there some other reason?

To point to the notion that people in the U.S. don't care as much, I'd imagine there is far more graffiti on fences and buildings per capita in the U.S. than in Canada. A friend of mine from Japan says there is no contest when comparing us with Japan- there is very little graffiti in Japan compared to what we have here.

Any thoughts on this?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Ugly U.S. versus Canadian coppers- which is more common?

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Canada requires coin to be rolled for deposit, so mutilated probably doesn't stay in circulation very long. The processor would have to pull it in order to not mess up their machines.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby willy13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:20 pm

I have not noticed that with respect to the coppers.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm

I've never kept track % wise regarding the uglies but, being strict with it I find yuck on both types. Only thing is, since they aren't making the CA ones any more I tend to be less strict with those and more so with the U.S. ones.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby AuStruck » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:56 am

US pennies may be more prone to have detritus but are to my eye a more appealing coin than the Canadian penny.

The later years Canadian pennies have a lightly stricken monarch (Queen Elizabeth), seems to me.

Older copper US pennies if in moderate condition often have good eye appeal even if not of the highest grade. (Zincs of around '88,'89 or so seem quite often poorly formed. Mint apathy? There are some with a sintered appearance. Any value for those? The later zincs don't have the eye appeal of the early coppers seems to me.)

As far as Queen Elizabeth on coins I would have thought an idealized queen, perhaps based on the younger years would be a better choice. (Controversy.) I have to admit I have passed on Canadian and British and other coins due to the queen representation.

Back to Canadian pennies: Less eye appeal for moderns-less likely for collectors except maybe for very high grade. Might make those relatively more valued for any collectors. Just my thoughts-I don't really know. (Somewhat off topic.) (Low detritus-better for the Ryedale.)
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing