History of brass penny value

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

History of brass penny value

Postby PennyPincher » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:31 am

A few years back, copper was over $4 per pound, and the brass penny had a metal value above three cents.

Does anybody know if brass pennies were selling for higher prices back then as well? I got into coin roll hunting in mid-2015, and all I've seen on eBay is about 30-50% above face value.

Additionally, were nickels ever selling above face value on eBay when their metal value was over eight cents?

I'm partly wondering in order to determine whether I should sell my coins soon or hold them for a higher payoff in the future (assuming copper prices rise).
PennyPincher

Re: History of brass penny value

Postby PennyPincher » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:33 am

I suppose the same sort of question is applicable to old Canadian nickels that are 99.9% nickel. I have over 1,000 of those as well.
PennyPincher

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:00 am

(Apart from numismatic-collectable dates) US nickels have never sold above face because you can still buy boxes at face.

I don't know what the RC record is for cent re-selling. I seem to recall a few members that had regular local customers that were paying >2 cents per copper cent, but the more typical re-sale price for sorted copper cents was in the 1.5-1.8x range shipped.

Canadian pure nickel 5 cent pieces have a more consistently high value.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:42 pm

2007 and 2008 were the good years

I had a couple regular buyers that netted me exactly 2 cents each after shipping/fees

I've been over a ton a couple different times but life just happened and I needed the cash other places

same thing with nickels

cashed in the few boxes I had left

this seems to be the absolute worst time to sell your sorted copper

depending on how much you have and whether or not you need the cash, I'd say hold them for the foreseeable future
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Contrarian view: Hold and sort more.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Many real cent members bought .999 Ni Nickels at 10 cents each from me back in the day. I also traded for silver spot to spot. I will not sell them for less than 10 cents as it think my sorting time is worth more than that. I still look for pure nickel from time to time and when I reach $100 I bag them. was getting better than 10 cents a nickel at http://www.coppercave.com
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby PennyPincher » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks for the information! It's good to know that resell values were higher in the past and that higher prices in the future will translate into more profit.

"Hold and sort more."

This is what I shall do. I put $23.00 of brass pennies in each box, and every time I get up to $23, I feel like I've upgraded my paper cash to real money - a solid long term investment that is backed by the government.

Also, to my knowledge, there's no good substitute for copper in terms of electronics and wiring. I would think copper prices will improve in the future. I'd also be surprised if nickel prices remain this low given their historical fluctuations.
PennyPincher

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:20 am

PennyPincher wrote:

Also, to my knowledge, there's no good substitute for copper in terms of electronics and wiring.

Actually, a substitute for copper in some circumstances is aluminum. An example is in the manufacturing of electrical conductors. Aluminum conductors are at times an acceptable substitute to copper.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing