Bill introduced to eliminate penny

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Bill introduced to eliminate penny

Postby NiBullionCu » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 am

The Currency Optimization, Innovation and National Savings Act of 2017 (COINS Act) by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., calls for modernizing American currency by reducing the cost of producing nickels and suspending the minting of the penny for 10 years, which costs more than one cent to produce, according to a news release on McCain's website.

https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/30b76738-3c52-4e99-92de-05eeb7705620/coins-act-3-29-17.pdf
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Bill introduced to eliminate penny

Postby coppernickel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Wow! :!

Last time we saw similar was on April first. Guess we are close.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 pm

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/McCain ... 89613.html

As a person who lives in Arizona I think we should get rid of all 3! The cent, dollar bill and John McCain!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:08 pm

The bill also includes replacing the dollar bill with a dollar coin. That will surely kill any shot this bill has of passing.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 am

I'd be quite happy if only John Mccain was gotten rid of.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:22 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:The bill also includes replacing the dollar bill with a dollar coin. That will surely kill any shot this bill has of passing.

(d) Removal and Destruction of $1 Federal Reserve Notes.—The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System shall ensure that all $1 Federal reserve notes removed from circulation in accordance with the date described in subsection (b) have been destroyed.
(e) Exception.—Notwithstanding subsections (b) and (c), the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System shall produce such Federal reserve notes of $1 denomination as the Board of Governors determines from time to time are appropriate solely to meet the needs of numismatic collectors of that denomination. Such collectible versions of $1 Federal reserve notes shall be sold in accordance with other general provisions governing collectible versions of notes.
(f) No Effect on Legal Tender.—Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, $1 Federal reserve notes are legal tender in the United States for all debts, public and private, public charges, taxes, and duties, regardless of the date of printing or issue.
hobo finds

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I'd be quite happy if only John Mccain was gotten rid of.

I'm right there with you!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:25 am

Hopefully nobody named Penny takes offense to the title of this thread... :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Shazbot57 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Hopefully nobody named Penny takes offense to the title of this thread... :)

:lol: :clap: :thumbup:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby spacemanX » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:06 pm

So ...
they are remove penny from the big bang theory. lol
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue May 02, 2017 11:41 am

Of course Canada eliminated the dollar bill, the two dollar bill and the penny. It defiantely saves money and everyone got used to it quickly. Maybe the USA will eventually catch up to their Canadian friends.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Thu May 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Canada eliminated the cent? Where have I been?

As for the US dollar coin...will never work until the greenback is not an option. And it has to be bigger than a quarter.

Naturally, the pinheads in Congress will see to it that it is exactly the size of a quarter, then wonder why it hasn't gained acceptance.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby JadeDragon » Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 am

Yes all pennies were pulled from circulation. (Almost) no bank will even sell me a roll now.

The Presidential dollars are very close in size to a Loonie. I don't know if they are counted the same by coin counters, but they would sure roll together. No one in Canada ever mixes up Loonies and quarters as the size and color is different.

I've long hoped that more presidential dollars would circulate and find their way into Canada because that would be great for coin roll hunting Loonies to find US dollars. As it is the highest US coin I've ever found is a quarter and those are exceedingly rare in Canadian Quarter rolls - like often zero in a whole box.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Fri May 05, 2017 8:36 pm

Interesting. A box of quarters in CT will often yield a half dozen Canadians. Box of dimes about the same.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby JadeDragon » Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 pm

I live very close to the US border, like a 20 min drive. I suspect two things are happening. The coin processors are pulling US out for redemption and individuals like me save US coins they encounter in a jar. At 1.34x value, Gresham's law is in full effect. When the exchange rate is closer to par, a lot more US coins circulate in Canada.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby scyther » Sat May 06, 2017 1:43 pm

It would be really great if this passed, but it won't.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing