How much is a respectable hoard?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: How much is a respectable hoard?

Postby barrytrot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:42 pm

OldPeddler wrote:Convert it all to gold or silver. They are easier to transport, if the need arises

The issue is you can't convert the cents to "true value" yet, so holding is preferable. Just don't move anywhere for now :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I have a few coppers....

Deal

p.s. You should see all the unsorted bags over there ~~~~>
<~~~~ And there....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby STINGER » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:58 pm

The issue is you can't convert the cents to "true value" yet, so holding is preferable. Just don't move anywhere for now

I'm getting ready to move but I have stored my coin in 55 gal drums on pallets in my garage. Shouldn't take long to move them. Just drive the skid steer in the garage with forks and load them on the gooseneck. Nobody knows what your moving.
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby misteroman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:37 pm

lol u have a skidsteer at your house? sounds like fun!
misteroman

Postby docsfishn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Being a handsorter, I would be happy with a half ton being my respectable hoard. If I purchased or machine sorted then a ton wouldn't be out of the question. I've still got a long way to go to get to a half ton but will enjoy every minute trying!
docsfishn

Postby VWBEAMER » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Welcome.. :)

docsfishn wrote:Being a handsorter, I would be happy with a half ton being my respectable hoard. If I purchased or machine sorted then a ton wouldn't be out of the question. I've still got a long way to go to get to a half ton but will enjoy every minute trying!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:03 pm

One penny short of your wife wanting to ring your neck! :lol:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:18 pm

pennypicker wrote:One penny short of your wife wanting to ring your neck! :lol:

If she hasn't even reached the "wanting to ring your neck" you are at least 50% short :)

They will want to ring your neck for a long time before they actually do. It's like the "E" symbol on a gas gauge, you can still drive for 50 miles on some cars.
barrytrot

Postby GTOJohn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:53 pm

i thought the 'E' on the gas guage was short for ENOUGH
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:39 pm

1 ton is respectable. anything more than that is indecent :)
fb101

Postby coppernickel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:44 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:So a ton is approximately $3040.00 worth of cents? Man I got a long way to go...

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I think most of us just use $3,000 face per ton for copper cents. That's the way I buy them if buying by weight.

I think any amount you can't actually lift is respectable. Thowing out your back by trying to lift too much is not respectable. :mrgreen:

So 1 Pound of copper is $1.55, but a ton is $3000.00. :shh:
Last edited by coppernickel on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:46 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I've got a few coppers to rub together. :mrgreen:

That is more my speed. :clap:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 pm

coppernickel wrote:
AGCoinHunter wrote:So a ton is approximately $3040.00 worth of cents? Man I got a long way to go...

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I think most of us just use $3,000 face per ton for copper cents. That's the way I buy them if buying by weight.

I think any amount you can't actually lift is respectable. Thowing out your back by trying to lift too much is not respectable. :mrgreen:

So 1 Pound of copper is $1.55, but a ton is $3000.00. :shh:

Not sure where you came up with the $1.55 figure. $3,100 divided by 2,000 is $1.55, but...

Copper is currently right at $3.00 a pound which means that 2,000 pounds is currently worth $6k.

Even with copper being worth $6k a ton, I have nowhere near a ton (more like 300-400#). Frankly, for base metals I'd rather have a large quantity of Canadian .999 nickels than copper. A ton would be worth a lot more, even though it would still occupy a lot of space. A ton of silver would be a better goal in my mind (let's say it is worth about $391k with silver at $16.29/oz.). I couldn't live comfortably off the value of the silver at current prices, but in the event of a price explosion there is a very real chance that a ton of silver (or perhaps even much less) could potentially help me live the rest of my days reasonably comfortably. I'm nowhere close to a ton by the way. But at least a man can dream- and work toward achieving that dream...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:48 pm

A pound of BU US CU cents is literally $1.46 though minor wear might require an extra couple of cents to make up some loss.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

68Camaro wrote:A pound of BU US CU cents is literally $1.46 though minor wear might require an extra couple of cents to make up some loss.

Copper as I am writing this is $3.02/lb. on kitcometals.com. Where do you get the $1.46 price?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:52 pm

146 cents
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Gotcha- thx.

Recyclersteve

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:53 pm

I'd ask Adam Youngs how much he has stored for others and on hand to be sold. Divide that amount by two and that my friend would be a highly respectable but super excessive hoard! :)

An respectable hoard i.e. $10,000 face. :shock: :thumbup:
Copper Catcher

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:I'd ask Adam Youngs how much he has stored for others and on hand to be sold. Divide that amount by two and that my friend would be a highly respectable but super excessive hoard! :)

A respectable hoard i.e. $10,000 face. :shock: :thumbup:
Copper Catcher

Postby everything » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Up to $1000 seems like a pretty decent amount, but even up to $500 is sufficient. It depends on what your plans are for it. Silver 1000 oz. is a decent pile. It's all so heavy. And, then maybe 10 oz. of gold. But if your a true hoarder no amount will ever be enough.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 am

One of the issues with quantifying an admirable hoard of copper is this- it would be MUCH easier IMHO to sell, say, $100k of silver than it would $100k of copper. So, to me, for the quantity to be admirable it would have to be something with more liquidity than copper has now. Some people are having trouble with dump banks accepting $25 boxes. What would happen if you tried to take several thousand face of copper pennies to the bank? They would likely resist, and that is just getting rid of it at face value. To actually sell it and make an even modest profit would be tough.

I know enough places within 100 miles or so of me where I feel I could get rid of good quantities of 90% silver or ASE's if I had to. 10 ounce and 100 ounce bars might be a bit more tricky, however.

Recyclersteve

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing