please help - estimating hoard size

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

please help - estimating hoard size

Postby GTOJohn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 am

Hello all. Let me start by saying I haven't sorted in a while - sold my ryedale - and have ignored my pile of coppers.
I looked around for some old notes I took - and can't find them.
So - here I am asking some stupid questions.

When I was sorting I just sorted - never looked for key dates or errors, never counted or packaged. I store my coppers loose - buckets and such.
I am trying to estimate my stash.
Here come questions -

1) Am I correct in remembering that a 5-gallon bucket holds approx. 200 pounds or about $300 face? I thought 10/11 buckets was a good ton and at least $3,000 face.

2) For you sellers - how do to put together lots to sell? Weigh out on a bathroom scale (like 68lbs $100 FV)? Coin Counter? Quality scale (better than a bathroom scale)? I was thinking I could weigh out 68Lbs on a bathroom scale and call it $100 face.

I hadn't put much thought into my coppers cuz they don't seem to be getting top dollar. I was a hold-on guy. But, I may be looking to use my coppers to fund another project - thus my interest in estimating the size of my hoard.

Thanx for your help !!
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Re: please help - estimating hoard size

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:39 pm

I move my pennies from rubbermaid tubs into $25 plastic bank bags, obtained free from banks that are collecting pennies for distruction. The banks just fill to a line marked on the bag and call it $25. I use my coin counter to fill the bags. What I don't like is the printing on the bags scratches and the full bags stretch a little when handled. They are designed to get coins to recycling, not long term storage and looking nice. The bags do stack well, will fit nicely in flat rate boxes, are see through for verification of contents and are clearly printed the words $25 pennies and RBC (I can add the words Copper
and Canadian or US) as needed.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:41 pm

A decent bathroom scale should work. This is copper not gold. I'd throw in an extra handful to account for the container and any inaccuracy on the scale.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby willy13 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:08 pm

There are 146 coppers in a pound. So 200 lbs = $292 face. I do not know how much is in a 5 gal bucket, as I do not store that way.

With copper prices down and hoarders getting discouraged its tempting to buy. The problem is that I would have to break my rule I gave myself when I started this hobby, not to buy above face.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:06 pm

I was able to get about $520 face value in U.S. coppers for face from a local RC member around last May. I met him in person so there was no freight involved. He was moving out of state and didn't want to haul them.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:50 pm

$300 face will fit in a five gallon bucket but it cones up and the cents start sliding off the pile....you can get $250 face in a 5 gal bucket and still get a lid on the bucket you may need to shake it a bit.

With shaking 2500 loose will fit in a $25 pennies bank box.

$100 face will fit in a 50 cal ammo can

$1500 face will fit in a 30 gallon open head steel drum

$2800 face will fit in a 55 gallon open head steel drum.

Un-told amount fits loosely in my garage...these are un-counted and are escapee's I still capture them running around in the garage.

I have measured all my containers with a Brandt 749 coin counter. I have also used a 150 # scale from BPS to weigh the containers but I like to be precise and use the counter.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby GTOJohn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanx guys!!! I appreciate the replies. Time to start taking a look to see what I have. I had a Ryedale from 2010 to 2012 and haven't given my coppers too much thought since then.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:43 pm

willy13 wrote:There are 146 coppers in a pound. So 200 lbs = $292 face. I do not know how much is in a 5 gal bucket, as I do not store that way.

With copper prices down and hoarders getting discouraged its tempting to buy. The problem is that I would have to break my rule I gave myself when I started this hobby, not to buy above face.

I have always used these numbers...

How many pennies per pound / different types / varieties of "pennies" or U.S. cents are there?

There are approximately 145 copper pennies in a pound.
There are approximately 181 copper plated zinc pennies in a pound.
There are approximately 168 steel pennies in a pound.

Weights are for NEW coins. There are of course, more older, thinner, worn pennies in a pound.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:40 pm

It's been awhile but I recall 17lbs =$25 in pre 1982 cu pennies, 34 lbs=$50. The z'incolns weigh around 14 lbs for $25.
Hope this helps
Shaz
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:26 am

Some people test box weight before sorting. No need to crack a light box. I never bothered with that in Canada because the copper was so high on nearly all boxes.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby CU Baker » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:00 pm

The US post office is a good place to start, go in and pick up two hundred Tyvek bags. Twenty five dollars a bag, easy to store and ready to sell for a CTU with four to a medium flat rate box. I would take five at a hundred and twenty six shipped if you want to reduce inventory.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing